Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Welding trailer ball

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding trailer ball

I don't remember where I was, but I saw a truck with a 2 1/2" receiver hitch that had a standard 2" hitch adapter in it & had no adapter sleeve in it, I just thought to my self, Lord why do you let these people non-functional people out, surely they should be locked up somewhere safe away from the rest of us, He just giggled & said natural selection. Obviously a Darwin award candidate!
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yofish View Post
    You win! Man, I can't believe I just read this thread. WW can be pretty entertaining. There are a lot of people here that have a bunch of surplus time on their hands. Like you, I look at the overbuild with amusement.
    Yabuttttt………..the stuff you build, if it ain't right, just sinks to the bottom of the ocean. Nobody around to scream "foul". Ya, sure, they become floaters, but hard to get testimony from a corpse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I don't remember where I was, but I saw a truck with a 2 1/2" receiver hitch that had a standard 2" hitch adapter in it & had no adapter sleeve in it, I just thought to my self, Lord why do you let these people non-functional people out, surely they should be locked up somewhere safe away from the rest of us, He just giggled & said natural selection. Obviously a Darwin award candidate!
    That's probably his adaptor sleeve I found in the road last week.

Post Thanks / Like

wasn't a black 2019 GMC Denali was it? I saw same thing on Speedway gettin ready to get onto I-10 last week I was on Harley and just punched it past him up the onramp .... just in case it came apart I didn't wanna be in the traffic crapola behind him.... it clacking at stop lights coming down Speedway was what got my attention as I rode beside him ....
    Last edited by monsoon-mech; 07-14-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever there is a wreck involving a trailer, the lawyer's first question is, "Were there any non factory welds on the hitch?" The OP should realize that on any forum you bring up welding on a hitch, you are going to be grilled just for bringing it up, no matter what forum you posted it in. Those who weld on hitches for a living should not be encouraging people who don't that it is safe.

Post Thanks / Like

JGPenfield, I disagree! I’m just a hobby welder, I’ve posted pictures of hitches I’ve made. No one said a word.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Is the steel used for hitch inserts a special type? Does anyone know what grade it is? This is strictly a curiosity question. I have no desire to nor the ability to make my own hitch insert. Just wondering what the composition is.
    Learning to weld, one arc at a time.

Post Thanks / Like

If it's gotta weld on it, it's probably mild steel. Get into that fancy stuff, and the WP's get stupid.

Mild steel, in the right configuration, ain't nuthin' to be sneezed at. http://www.matweb.com/search/datashe...08db22a53e2421

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    If it's gotta weld on it, it's probably mild steel. Get into that fancy stuff, and the WP's get stupid.

Mild steel, in the right configuration, ain't nuthin' to be sneezed at. http://www.matweb.com/search/datashe...08db22a53e2421
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

If cep keeps this up he will move from hobby welder to part time welder in no time
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna let you guys in on a little known feature of the internet, called, of all things, a SEARCH! Yes, you can actually pose a question and if you know the secret handshake, get an ANSWER! Like this one:

http://www.dropforging.net/drop-forg...plication.html

Be darned! Isn't that just neat-o? Try it out!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yofish View Post
    I'm gonna let you guys in on a little known feature of the internet, called, of all things, a SEARCH! Yes, you can actually pose a question and if you know the secret handshake, get an ANSWER! Like this one:

http://www.dropforging.net/drop-forg...plication.html

Be darned! Isn't that just neat-o? Try it out!
    Isn't an insert something like this???????? FyreTex asked about an insert

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...Tite/2923.html

An insert certainly ain't a ball I'm thinkin'

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't an insert something like this???????? FyreTex asked about an insert

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...Tite/2923.html

An insert certainly ain't a ball I'm thinkin'
    You are correct sir. I asked about an insert, not the ball. I already knew the balls were hardened, DUH! As far as the smarty pants answer about using search, what is this INTERNET thing you write about? Never heard of it. I’m corresponding to this forum via U.S. Mail. I’m about out of stamps though from all the postings.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of adapters. My 2014 Chevy 2500HD came with 2-1/2" hitch. The adapter was already there. If 2-1/2" load equalizers are available I haven't found them.

I towed the camper 300 miles since Friday. Each acceleration, or deceleration there is a clunk. I've looked everything over several times. There isn't anything I can see wrong. All the pieces are loose by design, not wear.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

My Sierra 2500 hd clunks like it's going out of style but only with the equipment trailer my 12 k Hudson everything fits snug but loose my wife's SUV I need a hammer to tap the hitch out of the receiver the op had a good thought with poor execution I think we can all agree towing is nothing to take lightly you are linking two moving objects by meer inches and getting it up to a speed that if it came loose would create a missle and the owner / creator is fully responsible for any out come

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Clunking is ok...………...it's the big BANG ya gotta worry about

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
    wasn't a black 2019 GMC Denali was it? I saw same thing on Speedway gettin ready to get onto I-10 last week I was on Harley and just punched it past him up the onramp .... just in case it came apart I didn't wanna be in the traffic crapola behind him.... it clacking at stop lights coming down Speedway was what got my attention as I rode beside him ....
    The one I saw was in west Phoenix, actually Buckeye, either on Watson or Miller road. It amazes me, the stupidity of some people. It was a GM but don't remember color, just the stupidity and questioning the shear forces on the pin, it was towing a sizable tandem axle dump trailer & landscape equipment.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Seen this one today in person and that is a 2 5/16" ball with a tiny round base welded to the bar. It must be pretty strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Aw Hell, it's probably as strong as all getout. But us old codgers are afraid of weld only. Silly really, but it's a personal choice.

I mean...…….For God's Sake...….everything else on most hitches is welded

Post Thanks / Like

It is my hope that a commercially made hitch has been engineered, and tested. The welding procedure has been specified by somebody with education in steel alloys, and filler choices.

Grabbing a small MIG machine, and welding a maybe hard brittle steel ball with broken shank to save 10 dollars is not something I consider prudent.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Seen this one today in person and that is a 2 5/16" ball with a tiny round base welded to the bar. It must be pretty strong.

I have one I only use with the tractor look inside the tube all the ball shanks protrude into the tube and the 2-5/16 says 8-k on top so not that strong but still not just welded on top

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 3 in one hitch on my truck right now. They are indeed engineered and tested.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    Tuff crowd . At this rate when all us old farts die off this site will be history since we keep chasing all the young guys off . Oh well I guess better here than on the job when something doesn't go their way.
    Yea right, I'm still here! I ain't going no where
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Speaking of adapters. My 2014 Chevy 2500HD came with 2-1/2" hitch. The adapter was already there. If 2-1/2" load equalizers are available I haven't found them.

I towed the camper 300 miles since Friday. Each acceleration, or deceleration there is a clunk. I've looked everything over several times. There isn't anything I can see wrong. All the pieces are loose by design, not wear.
    Willie,
    Here is one,

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store...-4-drop-8-rise

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/how-equalizer-works

And another.
    Has 2 1/2" shank available,

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/17057
    Last edited by danielplace; 07-20-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

The ruler of Thessaly carries this scepter. Give it yo your king.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny