Thread: Millermatic 251 Vs Hobart Ironman 230

Post Thanks / Like

Millermatic 251 Vs Hobart Ironman 230

I hope this hasn't been posted before....I did multiple searches and looked at a bunch of threads without any luck.

I currently have a Hobart Champion Elite welder/generator for bigger stick projects, a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC for smaller stick projects and an Everlast PowerTig 210EXT for TIG projects. I do everything from thinner sheetmetal work up to fairly heavy farm stuff...tractors, farm implements, etc. My most common projects involve mild steel from 1/8 to 1/2" thick.

I've been looking to add a MIG machine and have been using a borrowed brand new Millermatic 212 for the past week. I like the 212 and don't think I'd want to go any smaller, but I can't justify spending that kind of money when it's more of a want than a need at this point.

That got me looking at machines with similar numbers, and I narrowed it down to the Hobart Ironman 230, which seems to get really good reviews and can be had for just under $1,400 new.

Then I saw a beautiful Millermatic 251 on Craigslist not too far away and it comes with a full 330cf tank. The machine looks practically new, and they're asking $1,500.

I'd be going without a warranty on the 251, but considering the bottle alone would be probably $300, it seems like it might be worth that risk.

Has anybody run both machines? I've seen lots of positive comments about both, but no comparisons. Thanks in advance!
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Millermatic 251 Vs Hobart Ironman 230

I would buy that Miller over the Hobart in a heartbeat. I wouldn't call it a screaming deal, but it's a good price considering the tank. Be sure it's an owner tank and not a lease tank
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    I would buy that Miller over the Hobart in a heartbeat. I wouldn't call it a screaming deal, but it's a good price considering the tank. Be sure it's an owner tank and not a lease tank
    Thanks....that's kind of what I was thinking. I figure $1,200 for a super nice 251 isn't stealing it, but not bad at all and the tank would cost me $300. I will definitely check the tank, and might ask if he'd sell it without the tank since my LWS is close and I'd get a receipt for the tank at about the same cost.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

NO BRAINER, the Miller 251 ,and I would leave now. That's a great machine along with the 252. Stay away from the Miller 250 !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    Thanks....that's kind of what I was thinking. I figure $1,200 for a super nice 251 isn't stealing it, but not bad at all and the tank would cost me $300. I will definitely check the tank, and might ask if he'd sell it without the tank since my LWS is close and I'd get a receipt for the tank at about the same cost.
    If it is a owner or blank ring tank take it with the deal. You will save a bunch of money. You will want a second one some day anyhow. Start with that one the guy has already.
    What would you need a receipt for. Go open and account and swap that sucker. Nobody asking for any receipt. Have the guy give you a bill of sale for the stuff and once you swap it you'll have proof of owner bottle on your account they can always see your history and no problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    NO BRAINER, the Miller 251 ,and I would leave now. That's a great machine along with the 252. Stay away from the Miller 250 !!!
    Thanks....I thought I was on the right track We've played e-mail tag, but are supposed to talk today. I've got the cash and am ready to head there as soon as I get the word!

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    If it is a owner or blank ring tank take it with the deal. You will save a bunch of money. You will want a second one some day anyhow. Start with that one the guy has already.
    What would you need a receipt for. Go open and account and swap that sucker. Nobody asking for any receipt. Have the guy give you a bill of sale for the stuff and once you swap it you'll have proof of owner bottle on your account they can always see your history and no problems.
    That all makes sense...just have to see how the tank is marked (or not). After I posted this I thought of getting a bill of sale since that can't hurt. Luckily my LWS is a family shop with just two people and they know me, so as long as it's not clearly someone else's bottle it should be fine. Fingers crossed...

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, up to 150 cu ft. are owned the rest are leased, that comes from the little lieing wanna be used car salesman around here,hahaha, some shop fill some don't and it may change tomorrow, a bottle is worth pennies on the dollar in my opinion, So your paying 1500 bucks for the welder, the hobo may be a better buy, who knows, the brand new lincoln 256 was 1900.00 at a few different supply houses around here recently, better built in my opinion than both previously mentioned machines by a mile

Post Thanks / Like

The 251 specs out about like the MM200 did and was previous to a bunch of digital nonsense. Good machine.Should tun for decades

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pat h View Post
    As far as I know, up to 150 cu ft. are owned the rest are leased, that comes from the little lieing wanna be used car salesman around here,hahaha, some shop fill some don't and it may change tomorrow, a bottle is worth pennies on the dollar in my opinion, So your paying 1500 bucks for the welder, the hobo may be a better buy, who knows, the brand new lincoln 256 was 1900.00 at a few different supply houses around here recently, better built in my opinion than both previously mentioned machines by a mile
    Bottle ownership seems to vary with location. I own two 330 cu ft 100% argon bottles for TIG that I've bought from two different LWS in my area. I was with a buddy a couple of weeks ago at a third LWS when he went to buy a 75/25 bottle and they offered him the 330 as well, but he went with a 125.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I was able to get the 251 today. What's sort of funny is that it had been on CL for six days, I sent him a note and posted the question here and a day later he had three or four other people sending him notes about it

It's super clean inside and came with half a 44lb spool, a dozen extra tips, a spare nozzle, and a few other parts. The tank has about 1250psi in it. He swears the spool is the only one it's ever had on it, and going off how clean it is, I tend to believe him. I got it home, set it up and ran about ten practice beads with it and it seems to work perfectly.

In short, I'm more than happy with it!

A few pics. My shop isn't always this messy (close)....in the middle of moving everything to accommodate a new 80 gallon compressor and moving the lathe so stuff is everywhere!

Name:  IMG957999.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  170.0 KB

Name:  IMG958001.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  155.2 KB

Name:  IMG957998.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  158.2 KB
    Last edited by G-ManBart; 07-04-2019 at 08:59 PM.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great

Post Thanks / Like

Cripe that shop ain't messy. That's nothing. I wish my shop were that clean and picked up and roomy.
    Hobart Ironman 230
    Hobart AirForce 40i
    Hobart EZ-TIG 165i

Post Thanks / Like

Judging the appearance you did exceptionally well. The wheels look it was hardly moved. That machine will outlast you. Glad you didn't hesitate , deals go quick. You need to jump on those before the seller realizes he listed it cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatemaster View Post
    Cripe that shop ain't messy. That's nothing. I wish my shop were that clean and picked up and roomy.
    LOL....I should say it's also been worse before, so it's all relative!

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Judging the appearance you did exceptionally well. The wheels look it was hardly moved. That machine will outlast you. Glad you didn't hesitate , deals go quick. You need to jump on those before the seller realizes he listed it cheap.
    Thanks....I think so as well. The seller is a certified weldor with years of experience. He had a buddy offer him a side gig he could do it his spare time, so he bought the machine and bottle to be able to take the work, and hasn't used it since that project was finished. I ran it for about an hour or so over the weekend and actually think I like it a touch better than the 212 I was borrowing, so I'm a happy camper!

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT