Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6012cand 6013 rods

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 6012cand 6013 rods

Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Bastard View Post
    Rutile is a fancy way of saying the flux contains a large amount of titanium dioxide.
    Does titanium oxide give the arc a boost?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post
    Does titanium oxide give the arc a boost?
    not that i can recall. i think its simply the main shielding part of the slag. they put other things to help with the arc etc.
    how thick it is helps the weld to retain heat and slow down the cooling. i'm a bit rusty on it, i had achart that had all the commonly used componants.
    theres also varies amount of cellulose which is one reason its not low hydrogen.

Post Thanks / Like

Got to thank farmer Sam for the plug lol, any of you lads who have taken time to look at my thread thank you. Just keep an open mind your codes, and your approach to them vary world wide. this is a little 6013 I have been doing, its an rr rod its just a bit fluid for roots. Bohler fox sum. Once again thanks for the kind remarks. Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

I'll chip in on the 6013. I've found it to be like the easy grind wire of the stick choices. Say you have a hole in a piece of plate that came out in the wrong spot. If you fill it in with 7018 its pretty hard to redriill a 1/4 inch over, but 6013 can fill the hole nicely, and is way easier on the drills and taps if you need to do that sort of thing.
    Maybe because the filler metal is softer, and because the larger slag coverage on it helps it cool a bit slower, IDK, but thats one reason I keep it around.
    I also like it for "blacksmithing" joints that I want to hammer out the bead after welding, so it dosnt look welded.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing about 6013 is that while it is designed as a sheetmetal rod, it was meant to be ran DC- and that’s where the shallow penetration comes from. Running it DC+ is going to pull it in and make it dig. At that point it’s going to eat and do decently well...... it’s just not it’s intended purpose. There’s a lot of rods out there to use instead of running 6013 backwards.
    1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300 AC/DC
    2020 ESAB ES 180i MiniArc
    Lincoln Idealarc SP200
    Lincoln 3350 PAPR
    CK CK17FV
    CK CK9FV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Bought it new for the farm in 1967 off the Snap-on truck.
    So it’s only got 3 payments left?
    1957 Lincoln Idealarc 300 AC/DC
    2020 ESAB ES 180i MiniArc
    Lincoln Idealarc SP200
    Lincoln 3350 PAPR
    CK CK17FV
    CK CK9FV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by One1 View Post
    So itís only got 3 payments left?
    Yes. The payment plan has already outlived 3 or 4 dealers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by One1 View Post
    The thing about 6013 is that while it is designed as a sheetmetal rod,.........
    thats not really accurate as its designed for a great many different things. there is a huge range of 6013 rods.

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen some guys do good work with it. I used it some back in the buzzer days, seems every once in a while a wormhole would work in if a guy wasn't paying attn. I remember a guy was spozed to be a welder at apprentice school bout blew a gasket when I mention something about vertical with it,, my bud said he spent the morning trying to find some to prove it but,,, it works, just don't care for it a lot but that's partly from not using it as extensively.
    It doesn't have quite the mechanical properties of some other electrodes which is why it's not used on hi pressure pipe, etc. That is a bit of generalization, I believe that the pics above by fitter might be water line???
    Those are nice, a bit tedious for me for long time. On that size pipe wouldn't take long to find a faster way to make a passable joint if I had to do more than a couple in production environment. A lot of the nuke work was done 3/32 but time and cost were not an object. Small electrodes way easier on small bore especially in fussy positions. On larger pipe so many start and stop.
    More than the cap on those the root is really impressive from what can be seen.
    Last edited by Sberry; 10-27-2019 at 08:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Small wire feed has taken a lot of work from these rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Small wire feed has taken a lot of work from these rods.
    its the invention of low hydrogen rods thats taken away most of its use. probably why its got the reputation for doing sheet metal as all structural welding went to lohy rods.
    now many are going to higher strength steel for pipe which you don't use 6010 on.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with that, especially in construction. I was mainly referring to homebody types with wire feed,, sheet metal too.

Post Thanks / Like

Each of you guys and gals have entered welding in different ways ,my experience was pipe fitting that's 48 years ago at 16,its only relevant in that, for 25 of those years I never held a tig torch, I managed oil, chemical, shipyard and various heavy industry, you can't manage this on one rod , Even 7018 . If I were to give one piece of advice on getting used to any electrode, practice open root . It tells you a lot about the rods character. I used a lot of different 13 s over the years and only realised their differences thanks to poster here ny tomb, they are as different as night and day.

Post Thanks / Like

There are lots of guys here made it most of the way on 1 or 2 rods, lots of them on 7018 for the most part. Work in nuke and could make it with 1.

Post Thanks / Like

I take my hat off to anyone who has earned their living at pipe fabrication of any kind, and long term with the same company respect . In my case it helps Having my wee brother as a boss. I suppose if it came to a pissing match the nearest I can come to nuke is I worked a few years back on a methane plant that digested pig ****. No matter the rod, its about controlling the molten puddle it gives you. alan

Post Thanks / Like

Nuke is all 7018 and tig. They didn't even allow any other rod on the job. While there is lots pipe there are more hangers,, super gobs, everything Dr.Seuss could dream up with tube steel and plate. Once in a great while a piece of angle.
    Last edited by Sberry; 10-30-2019 at 07:48 PM.