+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Needle Scalers

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Needle Scalers

Anyone who stands by their spouse for that long deserves a lot of praise and recognition. It sucks that just about the time we get things figured out to make lives easier our bodies fall apart and we are back to difficult again
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmshop View Post
    Anyone who stands by their spouse for that long deserves a lot of praise and recognition. It sucks that just about the time we get things figured out to make lives easier our bodies fall apart and we are back to difficult again
    That's true! My wife & I are heading for 46 come September, she'll be 64 in August.it's awesome when two people are right & can go for 50 or more years. My mom passed 4 months before their 50th anniversary.
    Popeye, I feel for ya with the knees, mine are both bone on bone, but I don't want surgery, I had a good friend die in February, he went in for knee replacement, got through the surgery and died while in the recovery room, he was 58. You mentiond guys getting upeer back & neck surgery that were never able to return to work, I think that has a higher success rate than lower back surgery, my second injury happened at work & our workers comp insurance carrier never batted an eye or questioned anything about my injury, and in fact my adjuster told me that no-one questions my injuries.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 04-19-2021 at 10:05 PM.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    That's true! My wife & I are heading for 46 come September, she'll be 64 in August.it's awesome when two people are right & can go for 50 or more years. My mom passed 4 months before their 50th anniversary.
    Popeye, I feel for ya with the knees, mine are both bone on bone, but I don't want surgery, I had a good friend die in February, he went in for knee replacement, got through the surgery and died while in the recovery room, he was 58. You mentiond guys getting upeer back & neck surgery that were never able to return to work, I think that has a higher success rate than lower back surgery, my second injury happened at work & our workers comp insurance carrier never batted an eye or questioned anything about my injury, and in fact my adjuster told me that no-one questions my injuries.
    i hope your back is doin better Caveman, and your knees as well. This is the first I saw this reply, I guess I missed it bein busy workin and such. When you talked about your friend dying from a knee replacement got me to thinkin about a girl I went to school with. She is maybe 3 years younger than me so that puts her at around 60. 8 years ago she had one of them replaced and that went very well for her. So 2 years after that she gets the other one replaced, that didnt go well at all. I dont know what all goes on during and after this stuff but for some reason she sprung a leak in the insision about 2 weeks later real nasty smelly crap was comin out of it. Then she starts running a fever so she goes to the doctor and gives her some antiboitcs. Well this dont help her at all so they open her up and drain this crap out of her knee and stitch her back up. This infection continues so they take the replacement parts out and put a stick in between her upper and lower leg, meaning she has no knee joint to bend. They tell her when this infection clears up and she gets through the therapy she can get another knee replacement. So a year or so goes by and she gets another knee replacement done. About 2 weeks later she springs a leak again at the insision, and starts with a fever again. So they go through the whole treatment procedure again and she still has the same problem, and its the same infection caused by the same bacteria or virus or whatever caused it, so they put the stick back in. They tell her when she gets through the therapy again she can have another knee replacement.

A year or so after this she goes in for another knee replacement. 2 weeks later she springs a leak and starts a fever, now she is bound and determined she is gonna have a knee, she tells the doc after draining it and the antibiotics that she dont want a stick she wants a knee so they leave it in for a week longer. She goes back to the doctor and he tells her he has to take this knee out now or she will lose her leg if she dont die first. So they take the out and dont put a stick in just yet they want to see how she does with her lower leg just hangin there while she is on bedrest, I guess to make sure the infection goes away completely. After about a week they put the stick back in but they are still not sure whether or not she will lose her leg. Same infection and all, now why did her one knee goes so good for her and the other one so bad???? They cant figure it out

They talked about replacing my right knee when i was 40, I told them hell no, with what I do for a living it would last about 3 years and would be doin it all over again. I think I will keep the knees God issued me back in 1957 Thank You very much. Take care of yourself and God Bless You. I hope you feel better

Post Thanks / Like

Got my needle scaler fired up yesterday... put a whip hose on it after I took the pic as per recommendations here. Cool little toy and I got it on sale.Name:  IMG_6213.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  110.2 KB
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

5. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Got my needle scaler fired up yesterday... put a whip hose on it after I took the pic as per recommendations here. Cool little toy and I got it on sale.Name:  IMG_6213.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  110.2 KB
    These things are awesome for removing slag or peening a weld to relieve it.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

7. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That Chief needle scaler is still goin strong. The deal with the washer on top of the needles worked great too. I wore the needles down to the point where only about 3/8 inch was stickin out through the barrel...thats since December of last year...yeah i use em hard. So I put new needles in it and away we go for another go at it.

I never ever wore the needles down that hard before, they either fell out or the needle scaler quit workin altogether. This Chief scaler impressed me a lot, and the washer works good

9. Likes 12V71, WenValley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Pro Point I posted is on the higher end of the cheap Chinese junk... I won't be using it as often as you so I think it should last me a while. Got it on sale for around $65 Cdn. Even the cheap ones on sale are around $45 here.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

The Chief needle scaler I bought continues to do what i ask of it....I just put the 3rd set of needles in the other day I wore em down to where they are about 1/4 inch away from the end of the barrel i figured it was time for a new set. I chewed up that washer i put in it to keep the needles from getting beat up and falling out, that worked out great so I put a new 5/8 Grade 8 in it like before. Never have I had any needle scaler no matter who makes it last this long...they usually stop workin 6 or 7 months after i get a new one, and Ive never worn out a set of needles like this before. I lean on it pretty hard so that contributes to the wear factor Im sure but the damn thing just wont quit...that makes me happy. I do use em hard for sure

12. Likes SidecarFlip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

lol... I was just using mine the other day in a spot where it wasn't easy to get at with the wire brush. You got me hooked!
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

lol... I was just using mine the other day in a spot where it wasn't easy to get at with the wire brush. You got me hooked!

I got to admit I think I would be lost like last years easter egg if i didnt have my needle scaler....just so much faster and does a nicer job than a chippin hammer and wire brush

Post Thanks / Like

Ok you sold me. Been wanting to try one, maybe just need to add another tool to the shop. So Chief is the HF brand to get.
    Retired Old Guy

Hobart 210
    Lincoln AC/DC 225/125
    Evolution 14” Saw

16. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NotaVegetarian View Post
    Ok you sold me. Been wanting to try one, maybe just need to add another tool to the shop. So Chief is the HF brand to get.
    If you plan to use it regularly like I do, then yes get the Chief brand from Harbor Freight, The Central Pnuematic they have is ok for occasional use but I use mine hard all day long and most of it is outside in the dirt mud snow whatever Mrs Nature decides to throw at me and the Chief hasnt missed a beat yet.

18. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never tried a needle scaler,, but, I have used the HF pneumatic hammer to remove slag,, A LOT!!

Not perfect, but, at only $14,, it works for me,, I am sure I paid under $10 when I got mine.

I feel like the impact of the chisel rattles loose a lot of slag from the weld without ever touching the weld,, it is sorta violent.
    I do use hearing protection when I use it.

Somewhere I got a chisel that is about 1.50 inches wide,, really good for slag removal.
    Maybe I will try a needle tool,, some day,,,,,,,,, I wish there was a $10 one??????,,,,,,,,,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Still a little on the pricey side, but this attachment will work with the air chisel you already own. For the money, I think I'd still go for the complete tool though...

https://www.princessauto.com/en/air-...t/PA0003416393

For $60 this composite air chisel/needle scaler is interesting...

https://www.princessauto.com/en/2-in...t/PA0009030172

The one I bought for $65 is up to $140....
    Last edited by whtbaron; 05-22-2022 at 08:21 PM.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

21. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are all in Cdn. funds so I'm sure you'll find better deals south of the border.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe electric needed scaler.
    In field I had best luck with electric cord type tools.

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Need...49422433&psc=1

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    I just took the 3rd one back in 2weks, they've been very good about it, no questions asked, while I was there the store manager was tellin me that Harbor Freight is coming out with a new line of air tools called Chief, sort of like their Earthquake line of impact wrenches, they are by the way very good. He said he would put a sxaleer back for me when they come in...then he laughed and said I should be a product tester. We will see how long one of these will last

Post Thanks / Like

This Chief needle scaler from Hrbor Freight continues to do what it does...Yesterday I just put the 4th set of needles in it...they were wore down to just about nothin and 2 of them were broke off.

I bought a 4 1/2- inch Chief angle grinder yesterday when I got the needles. It seems like these electric grinders dont hold up and since I have a compressor why not use it for that as well. I know air tools seem to last longer than electric tools in this racket Im in...maybe its the water mud dust and whatnot that gets in the brushes abnd armatures on electric grinders. I blow them out regularly but the electric grinders only last about 5 months for me.

Maybe Im just to hard on stuff...I dont know...all i know is I get stuff done

25. Likes MinnesotaDave, WenValley, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The 30$ B&G I was getting from Walmart has held up as well as any I have ever used. I use them a lot, heavy on occasion, really leaned on it the other day with set of heavy blades. I grind often more than a "lot" but I havnt overheated it which I have done with others. It would be interesting to see what Pop would do to it? As for the scaler, I dont use it a lot, sort of a specialty tool for me anymore but I use it car/truck as much as anything and did a frame patch to one that some unusual hard scale was difficult to grind and up in corners and can simply reach good and fast.
    My new tool is the 3 inch extended reach, have a whole box of wheels and its been a while since I had one. Again, I treated my old one hard but been doing without for some time and this can be a problem solver more than beating the snot out of it every day like a rented mule.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post
    This Chief needle scaler from Hrbor Freight continues to do what it does...Yesterday I just put the 4th set of needles in it...they were wore down to just about nothin and 2 of them were broke off.

I bought a 4 1/2- inch Chief angle grinder yesterday when I got the needles. It seems like these electric grinders dont hold up and since I have a compressor why not use it for that as well. I know air tools seem to last longer than electric tools in this racket Im in...maybe its the water mud dust and whatnot that gets in the brushes abnd armatures on electric grinders. I blow them out regularly but the electric grinders only last about 5 months for me.

Maybe Im just to hard on stuff...I dont know...all i know is I get stuff done
    Are the replacement needles a regular shelf item at HF? I don't see any parts listed in the PA catalogue.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 4 1/2- inch Chief angle grinder
    It got past me that it was air,,,, if its this same unit, its a generic industrial used world wide it is a super tuff bugger. Its my go to wire wheel and cut off and I had a guy lean on one for couple months, used a couple quite a bit and NEVER had to so much as tighten a screw and outwear the old 300$ ones, go right past the old IR jobs like its sitting still. I am so frequent and so mobile and really a master with a 4 1/2 hard wheel that I use electric, so much cheaper to drive, so used to it.
    I been around air grinders for good long time. I remember an older guy say when wer were in a plant with them,,, I like electric better and after a while I got back on it for conventional 1/4 disk and 4 1/2 is so much better and if a guy had a bit longer duty I can see going to 5 inch. The 4 is too small for hard wheel for me, feels like a toy and the extra is just better. Pop,,, want a viscious clean put the 4 on that animal on the left, were 60$ when I bought them way back but I bet that Chef is the same heavy duty and would really eat with the wire wheel which I like adjustable soooooo much better than electric.
    I like that unit enough to own 3.
    These are my good econo pick air tools I really lean on and at the time own all 3 for under 200. I have 5 inch sander but I dont like it, the speed and drag of the 7 is perfect. The st5raight was 30$ and I already have a couple but if I didnt that is on the short list for burs, can cut off if needed and can run heavy straight wire wheel, penicil direction. My nmeighbor score me a fistful of 7 inch just in time, 1.50 and have a pile of 3 and 4 inch iI score from a sale. My goal isnt to burn it up but to do the work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sberry; 09-15-2022 at 11:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Are the replacement needles a regular shelf item at HF? I don't see any parts listed in the PA catalogue.
    They are at the one I go to, they dont have them on the shelf a lot though, I think whenever somone sees them they buy em all up, I ve only been able to get them there twice and I always got the only set they had.

30. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pop, you are somewhat ahead of the curve. You found an economical rugged tool, works as good as any and dont need a payment plan for it. That is a spot is so hard to do a good job and it means everything. Prolly like the bird big ole torch cut groove welds done plenty hot with some thick tuff slag. Chisels and chippers have their place and in my case this is something I can live with 1 of, its incidental, can and will use it, set of needles would last my career and I do have a set for mine, still on originals.
    I elude to this a bit in regards to tools when it comes to some advice.
    We can read about hundred different brands and models, this is generic and a guy can figure that out if he wants but, while I dont build draglines with Pop can and have done similar work and tell this. A part timer, even general shop not including heavy fab but general even maint like most of us dont need to worry about the second set of needles, cannot simply have enough heavy hard work for it. Can tell from using over a long career, supervising use of Joe Hometime,,, and certainly Veg absoilutely can skip the needle repacement concern, cannot and never will wear them to the nubs.
    Little like the 4 1/2 grinder in my case. We took some out and put one we kind of liked and could live with on the bench where the frequency was hi from several men, used daily, some hard, most modest and simply 1000s of cycles and can say like it as good or better, at least as good for our use as anything we ever tried.
    I am a point aint looking for a lot of new but with some of the staples like the scaler where it applies I find that after a while a guy gets what it fits and less to do with the ultimate quality as it is the convenience and the practicality. This applies to a lot but looked at a good logo from someone knew what they were doing and it simply had a paint brush and said, Danner painting.
    There are some things fine for hobby,,, I get all that and can spend but in the real world tell me at this point to tool up to do X work and I going to be simpler and less picky than I might have been a ffew decades earlier and require a little less top end. What has been proven beyond a doubt was the generic econo versions of most of this stuff has paid multiples, got some generic 1 wrenches have earned 100 times the cost of my snaps.
    Last edited by Sberry; 09-16-2022 at 10:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post
    They are at the one I go to, they dont have them on the shelf a lot though, I think whenever somone sees them they buy em all up, I ve only been able to get them there twice and I always got the only set they had.

I saw some at the NAPA store today...I didnt know they sell them but they do at that one...I didnt get any so I dont know the price

33. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    Pop, you are somewhat ahead of the curve. You found an economical rugged tool, works as good as any and dont need a payment plan for it. That is a spot is so hard to do a good job and it means everything. Prolly like the bird big ole torch cut groove welds done plenty hot with some thick tuff slag. Chisels and chippers have their place and in my case this is something I can live with 1 of, its incidental, can and will use it, set of needles would last my career and I do have a set for mine, still on originals.
    I elude to this a bit in regards to tools when it comes to some advice.
    We can read about hundred different brands and models, this is generic and a guy can figure that out if he wants but, while I dont build draglines with Pop can and have done similar work and tell this. A part timer, even general shop not including heavy fab but general even maint like most of us dont need to worry about the second set of needles, cannot simply have enough heavy hard work for it. Can tell from using over a long career, supervising use of Joe Hometime,,, and certainly Veg absoilutely can skip the needle repacement concern, cannot and never will wear them to the nubs.
    Little like the 4 1/2 grinder in my case. We took some out and put one we kind of liked and could live with on the bench where the frequency was hi from several men, used daily, some hard, most modest and simply 1000s of cycles and can say like it as good or better, at least as good for our use as anything we ever tried.
    I am a point aint looking for a lot of new but with some of the staples like the scaler where it applies I find that after a while a guy gets what it fits and less to do with the ultimate quality as it is the convenience and the practicality. This applies to a lot but looked at a good logo from someone knew what they were doing and it simply had a paint brush and said, Danner painting.
    There are some things fine for hobby,,, I get all that and can spend but in the real world tell me at this point to tool up to do X work and I going to be simpler and less picky than I might have been a ffew decades earlier and require a little less top end. What has been proven beyond a doubt was the generic econo versions of most of this stuff has paid multiples, got some generic 1 wrenches have earned 100 times the cost of my snaps.

All I know is whats been workin well for me...like grinders...for some reason Im pure living hell on electric grinders...I always was...I dont think I personally abuse them by pushing to hard on them, what i think it is is the environment I work in...dust dirt mud rain snow...I blow these things out with an air chuck evry couple days but it dont seem to make any difference...so I got this 4 inch Chief air grinder from Harbor Freight...I used air grinders in the shipyards and what i was told some of them were as old as I am and they never had trouble with some of them...somethin to be said for that...anyone who has ever worked in a shipyard knows that evrything there takes a beating....Ill see what happens with this

Post Thanks / Like

It should work dandy. I agree about the mud, my place is clean and cool in comparison. You would love the Chief with the wire wheel on it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist