+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hobart Handler 140

Post Thanks / Like

Hobart Handler 140

I have had this Hobart Handler 140 for a little over a year. I started with .35 flux wire and didn’t like it got a bottle of 75% Argon 25% CO2 and .30 solid Hobart wire and tips, it never has worked very well. The problem I am having is it doesn’t maintain an arc, I can feel it jerk as the wire pushing against the metal for a moment then arc again but only for a moment and quits again and keeps repeating the process. Changing the tip will fix it for about 6 inches of welding then same thing again. Today I replaced the liner, with used the same tip and started welding around a 3 inch tractor exhaust pipe and it worked fine till about 3/4 th of the way around it then same thing. Anybody got an idea of what’s wrong with it or is it something I’m doing wrong? Before I got this the only wire feed welding I did was in welding school about 50 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hobart Handler 140

As long as the output cables are hooked up properly (electrode - for flux core/electrode + for solid wire), it should work.

I had a HH-135 for many years, until it started to do the exact same thing as yours. Plus, it would lay a cold weld no matter how you adjusted it...…..would run it on max voltage towards the end.

Make sure the gun cable is good where it plugs into the welder. The wire mesh can fray at the place where it goes into the welder. The older ones didn't have a tension relief spring at the welder side of the cable, and the wires would get messed up inside the cable. This all happens underneath the insulation, and can be invisible.

I never fixed mine because it would have run too much for me AT THE TIME. I was in a position where I wanted a more powerful welder, and didn't want to put money into the small welder...………..I spent those "repair bucks" on the newer HH-190.

Check your roller tension. It should just be tight enough to push the wire, in a curve, against a piece of wood. The wire roll should have just enough drag so that it doesn't birds nest. Just enough that it shows some resistance when turned by hand, but doesn't continue to move when you take your hand off of it.

Arc outages are pretty common with these machines, even when new. The metal has to be spotless, or they don't like to run good.

Your voltage should generally be set higher than what's listed on the inside of the door...…….that chart is optimistic, at best.

Keep stickout to a minimum, maybe about 1/4". The small HH-135/140 likes a short stickout. Shorter stickout increases amps without turning up the wire speed.

They're good welders for what they are. I like my Hobart.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from NE GA , those little 110 welders can be difficult to set rite and difficult to weld with . If this is the first experience you have had with a mig welder it,s hard to say whats going on , but from what you describe the voltage is to low or wire speed to fast or combination of the two ! I also have a HH 125 AND HAVE BEEN WELDING 30 + years and can say from experience they will make you feel like you cant make a decent pass . What i found was to keep the voltage on 4 and adjust your wire feed very slowly until you reach a spot where it seems to smooth out for you , the flux core never really makes a nice puddle but will get the job done , forget about appearance with those little welders and just focus on functionality ! IF you get tired of messing around and the budget allows it buy the iron man 230 and you will go to bed smiling every night for a month ,

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my 140 Handler about 5 years ago, and hadn't used it enough to give too much advice. But, using flux core only, I've experienced the same problem you described. I was told to make certain of 3 things.
    Good clean ground contact, feed roller tension, and wire feed speed control. I think the wire wire feed was the likely culprit, but I did get it straightened out. Running the feed a little slower than the chart says helped.
    I'm certain that varying grades of steel can affect outcome as well, and that, I assume, is where practice helps you to identify dissimilar metals. One of my problems (there are many!), is that most everything I weld is repurposed salvage that I get for free, so clean surfaces is a must.
    I want to switch to gas shielded welding so that I can do some sheet metal work without blowing a bunch of holes in my work. I've read that .023 wire and a 25% Co2 mix should work well. Do any of you have advice for me? It would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fahmahdave View Post
    I bought my 140 Handler about 5 years ago, and hadn't used it enough to give too much advice. But, using flux core only, I've experienced the same problem you described. I was told to make certain of 3 things.
    Good clean ground contact, feed roller tension, and wire feed speed control. I think the wire wire feed was the likely culprit, but I did get it straightened out. Running the feed a little slower than the chart says helped.
    I'm certain that varying grades of steel can affect outcome as well, and that, I assume, is where practice helps you to identify dissimilar metals. One of my problems (there are many!), is that most everything I weld is repurposed salvage that I get for free, so clean surfaces is a must.
    I want to switch to gas shielded welding so that I can do some sheet metal work without blowing a bunch of holes in my work. I've read that .023 wire and a 25% Co2 mix should work well. Do any of you have advice for me? It would be greatly appreciated.
    Sounds like you have it figured out. Just remember to switch over to electrode positive when you go with hard wire and gas. Good Luck !!
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! That will be the chalange!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by edsegar View Post
    I have had this Hobart Handler 140 ..... The problem I am having is it doesn’t maintain an arc, I can feel it jerk...
    Been there with my Handler, fixed it by checking line voltage drop. Turns out the outlet I had it plugged into was wired with 16ga wire, switched to a different outlet, no issues. (10ga extension cord)
    Not sure if that's your issue, but I hope it helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! Hope you get it figured out.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist