Thread: shop press question

Post Thanks / Like

shop press question

hi, hope this is the right place for this.
    I have a Torin 50T press that has a bad gauge, anyone know where i can get a new one. doesnt seem like Torin sells parts and this isnt the standard gauge that you would thread into the cylinder. it is flush mounted and has a hoes from the cylinder to the back of the gauge.
    also, any ideas where i can pick up press adapters? i have random tubes, round bar and things like that but not very many and not in any really useful size.

thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: shop press question

Ebay, amz have all kinds of pressure gauges for sale...
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+back&_sacat=0

Is the torin one calibrated in pounds or some sort of pressure numbers?

As for adapters I usually make mine in a lathe of grind off a couple thousandths of the same part I am pressing in using an old removed part... but have also seen various sets on ebay/amz for some popular items.

There are quite a few with different sized discs and plenty of other sets for 'other' purposes that could be utilized for pressing all kinds of round objects
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metric-Bush...EAAOSwECNdOogI

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-Beari...gAAOSwFqJWrx0B
    Last edited by ronsii; 08-14-2019 at 01:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you. ive checked ebay, northern tool, grainger, amazon but have not found one like this. its measurements are in tons, both metric and imperial up to 90.

using a lathe to make the perfect adapter would be ideal but i dont have the shop space for one right now. even my horizontal band saw has to live in the shed lol.
    i'll check out those links tho.
    thank you

Post Thanks / Like

The original gauge is made by the same manufactures they just put a different card in it, all you have to do is know the diameter of your ram and reverse calculate it for PSI and then you'll know the range of the gauge that is in there... then you could just use one marked in PSI or whatever and have a chart next to it for the ton numbers... if you wanted... otherwise you will most likely have to find a source for the actual torin gauge.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info. ill look around a little more.
    also, i used one of my aluminum seal drivers on the press and totally messed it up. partly my fault for the way i placed it but wont be doing that again.

Post Thanks / Like

I found that making sure your press and it's table are setup square both directions is very important in a lot of pressing applications!!! and having adapters that don't free float at the end....they need to be constrained from tilting or things can go bad also.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to actually talk to somebody on the phone who knows gauges. They should be able to tell from the info on your gauge what a good replacement would be. In Seattle, we have a good hydraulic repair shop, they know everything about that stuff, and usually have them in stock. They are factory warranty repair for enerpac and all the big names. There should be somebody in Sacramento who does the same thing- old fashioned guys with dirty hands. The internet is great, ad you can find stuff, but sometimes there is no substitute for a real person with first hand knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    You need to actually talk to somebody on the phone who knows gauges. They should be able to tell from the info on your gauge what a good replacement would be. In Seattle, we have a good hydraulic repair shop, they know everything about that stuff, and usually have them in stock. They are factory warranty repair for enerpac and all the big names. There should be somebody in Sacramento who does the same thing- old fashioned guys with dirty hands. The internet is great, ad you can find stuff, but sometimes there is no substitute for a real person with first hand knowledge.
    dont know why i didnt think of that, thank you.
    i guess the internet has spoiled me haha.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by superwelder View Post

using a lathe to make the perfect adapter would be ideal but i dont have the shop space for one right now. even my horizontal band saw has to live in the shed lol.
    i'll check out those links tho.
    thank you
    Really then, instead of fixing your press you should be reading the Building a bigger shop threads!

Post Thanks / Like

thats the plan for the future but not going to hold up my trans rebuild because of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try contacting Torin directly, I purchased some parts from them about a year ago for a press.
    http://www.torinjacksusa.com/
    Mike