+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cutting torch pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting torch pressure

OK,so I would like to know what the pressure should be, from the regulator to the tip, not in the bottle, for oxy acetylene cutting torch.Both oxygen and acetylene. Thanks, Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cutting torch pressure

It's going to depend on a few other variables. Usually these parameters are specified in your literature associated with your equipment. Having said that you can get away with 6 on the acetylene and 35 on the cutting with most equipment. But that doesn't mean you're not going to wreck havoc on sheet metal using a much larger tip designed for heavy plate. Best place for this information is in the owners manual with your equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

acetylene pressure should never approach or exceed 15 psi on the secondary gauge. Other than that, it is really dependent on the size of the cutting tip and the mfg recommendations. As a ballpark, a victor size 1 cutting tip (good for steel up to 3/4 inch) needs 30-35 on the oxygen, and 3-5 on the acetylene, per the mfg.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

What I have is a 2003 F150 exhaust manifold (passenger side) leaking. I need to cut the nuts off the studs so I can remove the manifold, then I can work on the studs.The nuts are very badly rusted. Wish me luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Didnt you purchase a Lotos plasma cutter ? I would use that- job would be done before you got the cutting torch hooked up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kenskip1 View Post
    What I have is a 2003 F150 exhaust manifold (passenger side) leaking. I need to cut the nuts off the studs so I can remove the manifold, then I can work on the studs.The nuts are very badly rusted. Wish me luck.
    I have the same year truck, same side cracked. Been trying to run the stereo a little louder these days, LOL. Really dreading this repair, estimate from a shop is $750 - 1000.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kize View Post
    Didnt you purchase a Lotos plasma cutter ? I would use that- job would be done before you got the cutting torch hooked up.
    Yes I did. And yes it is still working well. However I feel that I would have more control over the flame. BTW, I never thought of this until you mentioned it. However I just want to cut through the top of the nut and chisel the nut off, leaving the stud. Eric at South Main Auto has a video on this. Thanks for the suggestion, Ken
    Last edited by Kenskip1; 08-21-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I usually set my gauges to 7 on the acetylene and 40 on oxygen.
    Millermatic 185
    Lincoln Ranger 305G
    Victor O/A

Post Thanks / Like

for burning i kept my regs at 40oxy/10acet.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Turn the O down some and see how much it takes. a 1 tip, clean will cut 1/2 at about 25, just enough to go thru. 3/8 here about 22#
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

oxygen 25, acet 5. Just decent ball park figures to get started. Then adjust from there as needed.
    --Gol'

Post Thanks / Like

Last knight I set Oxygen at 20 psi and Acetylene at 7 psi. It took a bit to warm the plate but when red I hit the lever. Holy Kow!This thing really works.I had a lot of sparks hitting the floor. Is this normal? Anyway I broke the ice. Yes a poor metaphor but I am still learning. Thanks for the suggestions, Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Sparks are normal. The torch works by actually burning the metal. There's a trick some folks do where once they start the cut, they actually turn off the acetylene, and if you are careful you can keep cutting with just the jet of oxygen. The different size cutting tips allow for different size jets of oxygen and just enough pre heat to start the reaction without creating too much dross/slag
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Sberry, that's a mighty steady hand you got! Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Probably too late now but I've found that virtually any nut, regardless of how rusted it is, will come off if it's been heated to a bright red-hot. No need to risk damaging the threads on the studs with a cutting torch!

Post Thanks / Like

I run oxy/propane at 10&30 for under 1/2" material, and 10&40 for 1/2" and heavier material.
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
    Probably too late now but I've found that virtually any nut, regardless of how rusted it is, will come off if it's been heated to a bright red-hot. No need to risk damaging the threads on the studs with a cutting torch!
    If one heating doesn't do the job, then let it cool and heat it again.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Well like the guys above have said 40/10 oxy/ acet is always what i used the past 30 + years. Just heating the nut will probably due , if not just wash the nut off the stud , NO cutting . Then you can run a thread chaser after you remove the manifold and you will be good to go . Good luck and GOD BLESS

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist