+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show us what you cut today..

Post Thanks / Like

Show us what you cut today..

We have a show us what you welded thread but no thread dedicated specifically to showing the types of things things we are cutting and how the cutting is being done. It could be Plasma cutting freehand or CNC, Oxy Accetylene, band saw, cut off disk, chop saw etc. let’s see those cuts.

I’ll kick it off with several quick videos of some basic Plasma cuts on some 1/4” plate I’m cutting up for a flag pole base plate. They are not the best free hand drag cuts bug good enough for my pay grade.

Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Show us what you cut today..

I cut this socket down the other day, needed something a bit smaller to reach inside the center counterweight on my big forktruck. Used my 13x40 lathe with a carbide toolbit running ~750 rpm's with a bit of wd40 now and then DOC was probably 5-7 thou...

Name:  socket-cut-1-12.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  78.2 KB

Sure made quick work of getting the bolts loose

Name:  hyster165e-cw-remove.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  76.5 KB

Fedex brought me this box thursday and I had to cut the clear securement strap from across the two hinged cover plates... used a 3.5 inch kershaw folding portable cutting device with a 8Cr13MoV blade on it for both the side cuts and the longitudinal cut

Name:  miller211box.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  54.1 KB

Once the strap was cut I removed the blue prepainted 16gauge steel box from inside.

Name:  miller211bundled.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  56.1 KB

It was a perfect end to the day!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I made some cutting guides this week. Should I post them in this thread or the 'Show us what you welded today' thread?
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E T View Post
    I made some cutting guides this week. Should I post them in this thread or the 'Show us what you welded today' thread?
    Or maybe in the 'Homemade tools' thread? So many decisions to make. I can't take it anymore.

Just kidding N2. I like the new thread.
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Post Thanks / Like

So it takes a fork lift to work on a fork lift.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by E T View Post
    Or maybe in the 'Homemade tools' thread? So many decisions to make. I can't take it anymore.

Just kidding N2. I like the new thread.
    Oh boy, heckle away I’ll probably be cutting up some scrap metal out of dead lawnmowers soon with the plasma toy.

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea N2

Here’s my 9” forged German steel bread knife.

As many others have probably experienced if you find yourself needing MANY cuts made accurately, (3/8” in my case) it is much more cost effective to farm it out.

FS: Bread knife. Lightly used. Few bloodstains on handle. Cheap. Shipping on your dime.

:

Post Thanks / Like

LOL!!!!!! now that's what I'm talking about

So Lis3232, how did it cut when you were using it? did you need long strokes or short?? and did you find it better to use a rotary motion kinda like a super sawzall??? also did you ever try it with a coolant such as water like the cutters at subway use????
    Last edited by ronsii; 08-25-2019 at 07:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good one Lis

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I have feelings you know. I get the impression you guys are poking fun at me just like the water jet shop when I asked them for a quote.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 08-25-2019 at 08:02 PM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Hey!!! I get it somethings you want done 'right' I'll be the first one to admit I really want a water jet so I can stop farming out stuff I need cut on a weekly basis....

Post Thanks / Like

Well at least you didn’t cut the Cheese

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    I cut this socket down the other day, needed something a bit smaller to reach inside the center counterweight on my big forktruck. Used my 13x40 lathe with a carbide toolbit running ~750 rpm's with a bit of wd40 now and then DOC was probably 5-7 thou...

Name:  socket-cut-1-12.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  78.2 KB

Sure made quick work of getting the bolts loose

Name:  hyster165e-cw-remove.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  76.5 KB

Fedex brought me this box thursday and I had to cut the clear securement strap from across the two hinged cover plates... used a 3.5 inch kershaw folding portable cutting device with a 8Cr13MoV blade on it for both the side cuts and the longitudinal cut

Name:  miller211box.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  54.1 KB

Once the strap was cut I removed the blue prepainted 16gauge steel box from inside.

Name:  miller211bundled.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  56.1 KB

It was a perfect end to the day!!!
    I almost bought one of those Hysters 20 years ago for decking trailers. Decided against it as it would just be in the way most of the time. Continued using TWO forklifts (one on each side) to lift. What a PIA but saved money on the ferry.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Well at least you didn’t cut the Cheese
    Yeah but that's coming soon enough, just wait for it. SOMEBODY is going to cut the cheese for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20190825_162443.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  126.5 KB

Name:  20190825_163823.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  128.4 KB

Name:  20190825_163729.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  113.7 KB
    Name:  20190825_162432.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  103.7 KB

This is my evening project. Its uhaul truck turning it into dump truck with a 12ft bed. Bed will be built from scratch.

Today got axle rolled forward swapped the fuel tank from passenger side to drivers side.
    Tomorrow will work on getting axle bolted in . Brakes and fuel line plumbing ounce that's all done start building a bed. Were hoping to be in it less than 8k all said and done.
    Got the truck for 4k
    Have a ram set up coming off another truck. Depending on my labor it should happen inside 8k
    Last edited by evan; 08-25-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bistineau View Post
    Yeah but that's coming soon enough, just wait for it. SOMEBODY is going to cut the cheese for sure.
    Yeah it never fails.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I almost bought one of those Hysters 20 years ago for decking trailers. Decided against it as it would just be in the way most of the time. Continued using TWO forklifts (one on each side) to lift. What a PIA but saved money on the ferry.

Yeah, I've helped a friend when we need to use 4 of them and you can feel it wanting to tip! This one should.... Be able to lift my big lathe.
    I'm still on the lookout for a bigger one... Maybe 30-40k lift cap. Have used the old 'big red's' and would like one of those with a Detroit in it ��

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    Name:  20190825_162443.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  126.5 KB

Name:  20190825_163823.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  128.4 KB

Name:  20190825_163729.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  113.7 KB
    Name:  20190825_162432.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  103.7 KB

This is my evening project. Its uhaul truck turning it into dump truck with a 12ft bed. Bed will be built from scratch.

Today got axle rolled forward swapped the fuel tank from passenger side to drivers side.
    Tomorrow will work on getting axle bolted in . Brakes and fuel line plumbing ounce that's all done start building a bed. Were hoping to be in it less than 8k all said and done.
    Got the truck for 4k
    Have a ram set up coming off another truck. Depending on my labor it should happen inside 8k
    nice project. Aren’t Uhaul trucks typically spec’d awfully light though?
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a fun job even

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've helped a friend when we need to use 4 of them and you can feel it wanting to tip! This one should.... Be able to lift my big lathe.
    I'm still on the lookout for a bigger one... Maybe 30-40k lift cap. Have used the old 'big red's' and would like one of those with a Detroit in it ��
    I should have elaborated. Much easier than you are envisioning. I was picking up the 28 foot rear trailer of a Super B and dropping it on the 32 foot lead trailer. Still a PIA though.

Last edited by Lis2323; 08-25-2019 at 11:25 PM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like what we've done with oversized stuff and backing the trailer under them.... No.?.... We pick from each side with 2 or 4 lifts if it's too heavy for 2

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like what we've done with oversized stuff and backing the trailer under them.... No.?.... We pick from each side with 2 or 4 lifts if it's too heavy for 2
    Yes. Exactly.

:

Post Thanks / Like

When my 9030 Case was delivered (non running), we unloaded it with four 5000 lb forklifts and a 9050 holding the boom. Lift and pull the drop deck out from under it. Stupid part was I had it running 15 minutes after it hit the ground. Burnt out "run solenoid".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    When my 9030 Case was delivered (non running), we unloaded it with four 5000 lb forklifts and a 9050 holding the boom. Lift and pull the drop deck out from under it. Stupid part was I had it running 15 minutes after it hit the ground. Burnt out "run solenoid".
    Isn't that how it always goes.... Oh well makes for good practice on a non-osha approved lift heh heh

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that how it always goes.... Oh well makes for good practice on a non-osha approved lift heh heh
    You wanna talk nonOSHA (WCB here) Once I only had one forklift and I had to use the lip of a wheel loader bucket under the tires of the tandem axle on one side. Had to place the forklift accordingly on the opposite side to balance properly. IF an inspector had seen that and NOT gone into cardiac arrest I’d prob be posting this from jail.

Do they have WIFI in prisons? Would u have to do “favors” for the password? ??
    :

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist