+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wannabe welder

Post Thanks / Like

Wannabe welder

I'm a welding newbie looking to do my own auto/body repairs and misc. home projects.

Hoping to restore a 70's Triumph TR6 one day... For now, planning to learn by rehabbing my 2003 Dodge Dakota 4x4. Needs some sheet metal repair, minor frame repairs, suspension & steering rebuild, and repaint.
    Also have a heavy-duty utility trailer to fit up with steel toolboxes, fabricated mtg. brackets, weld-on screw jacks ... then repaint and rewire with LED lighting.

****Looking for a decent 120 V MIG welder as I don't have 220 available. Would like to spend $500.00 max for welder. Plan to weld auto body sheet metal up to 1/4 in. (max) steel and occasional aluminum. Could use recommendations on a good welding machine and welding gear from some seasoned welders. ****

Thanks in advance. Any welding wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wannabe welder

Welcome! Lots of options out there for $500, even maybe a dual voltage inverter for a little further down the road, a 12 Volt machine will put limits on what you can do. 1/4" will be at the extreme upper end of what a 120 machine can handle well.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from NE GA, 500 $ will get you a nice 120 v machine that you can do a lot with . Welding 1/4 will require a properly prepared joint and a little pre heat but doable . Stick with any of the big 3 on machines and you will be fine , stay away from the ching chong crap !

Post Thanks / Like

Most welders made in the last 25ish years have many parts made in china, or elsewhere. Exceptions to this are "old school" welders with transformers and the like - but even they are mostly controlled by boards, capacitors, chips, etc made overseas. Made in USA was assembled in usa for a long time until laws were changed for clarity. The "ching chong" crap comment no longer really applies.

The good news is 500 is a great budget for a home game mig machine, and you should be able to get something you're really happy with.

Two routes to go here IMO:

New, I'd go for one of the higher end harbor freight welders (green or orange), a big box (home depot or lowes) lincoln, or one of the bigger names import shipped to you units with the best warranty including shipping, in that order.

Brick and mortar stores are much easier to deal with if something doesn't work or goes wrong, and most have extended warranties available.

The home depot lincoln units are solid, widely used, and time tested. The orange HF units are really quality but haven't been out long, the green units are high-ish quality and have been out for even less time, but their features and "value" seem higher than the Lincolns.

Used, You can find tons of great units used in your price range but it is a real game of luck, and often takes time and effort. It also highly depends on where you live, if you live in a very isolated region obviously the used market will likely not be strong.

Check out online marketplaces/classifieds and selling apps, I have GREAT success with "offerup" - a phone app. This is a GREAT way to find other tools also.

In your price range and from my perspective (in my area) you could get anything from a good "old school" unit that should likely last forever to new in box HD/lowes lincolns. The market is so location specific it's useless to list the most common types and prices i see here, unless you live here also.

Obviously buying "used" comes with no warranty, so it is buyer beware.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the HD Lincoln Weld-Pac, no complaints for more the 10 years.
    BTW, Welcome to the fold!
    Last edited by Bruce; 09-13-2019 at 04:29 PM. Reason: More cypherin'
    Bruce
    The Welding Chef
    Lincoln Weld-Pack 3200
    NORWELD Stick
    Stanford Hill Farm

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist