+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 by 40 carport

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 20 by 40 carport

Hi Hugo.

My recommendation is see if you can find a local structural engineer to run your truss through a computer program. There are a lot of those in the Houston area (I used to work there). Your truss as you have it may or may not be adequate, but it is impossible to tell just by looking at your photo and the member sizes you are using. It might be that you could increase the depth of your truss and be able to handle the loads.

As an alternate approach, as SlowBlues said, you could visit some local structures to see what they used and try to match as closely as possible, although it is difficult to tell exactly what the member sizes are standing on the ground looking at a roof truss.

Either way, good luck and don't be too put off by folks here shooting holes in your work or ideas. I think they have good intentions, but could maybe be a little more tactful .

Post Thanks / Like

Get off the poor guys back.
    Truss design isn't rocket science. If you talk to any of the engineers and watch them it is all simple math and a bunch of books with load tables and 100 year snow loads.
    Besides his math he just needs to lookup the snow load and wind load for his area and factor that in.
    Take a step back and look at the Dallas Cowboys practice facility that was designed by ENGINEERS. Blew over and nearly killed people or have you forgotten that.
    Safety is an issue but don't make a federal case out of it.
    Guide him in the right direction with constructive criticsm.
    Sign on East Texas payphone: Calls to God 40 cents......it's a local call...

Post Thanks / Like

If you ask for opinions you get what you get . It’s up to you which ones you take.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stampeder View Post
    Get off the poor guys back.
    Truss design isn't rocket science. If you talk to any of the engineers and watch them it is all simple math and a bunch of books with load tables and 100 year snow loads.
    Besides his math he just needs to lookup the snow load and wind load for his area and factor that in.
    Take a step back and look at the Dallas Cowboys practice facility that was designed by ENGINEERS. Blew over and nearly killed people or have you forgotten that.
    Safety is an issue but don't make a federal case out of it.
    Guide him in the right direction with constructive criticsm.
    Wow! Hell of a read here! 12 injured, 1 paralyzed

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adv...use-collapsed/

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  2D7DEB4B-D64E-48FC-988E-1BCB009A85C2.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  128.9 KBName:  9D158EA0-34A8-4457-81D5-E8BFFC0E541E.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  111.0 KB

Well it’s been a while I will say , in life many people will discourage us . And many will choose not to help .
    Keep focused .i appreciate everyone who said my welding was horrible . It took me months to learn and I’m shure some one will say I’m not good enough . Well the open span port is up . Not enough cash for sheet metal yet but I will say we tried a 3000pound dead load at center of truss and it didn’t even feel a thing .
    Don’t let people stop you all from achieving . If anyone would like a pointer or 2 please ask I don’t know much and I don’t know how to calculate a truss but I will say I can make it and put weight with 55 gallon drums with water and it shows it worked for me . Good luck all I feel I have achieved it .

Post Thanks / Like

The dictionary saiz," there will always be the naysayers".

I personally would use tek screws unless prints, engineer or local inspectors demand welding

Post Thanks / Like

Did you get a permit for that ?

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said before, you only prove it stands up until it doesn't. Fatigue and other factors will combine.

Might fail, might not. A member with 40 years steel building experience politely said it was too light.

Professionals get it wrong too. But several years go by until it fails.

I respect folks who do their own work, but also check in with a pro when needed.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I admire your resourcefulness, and always satisfying to do-it-yourself.

Your 3,000lb load test of the truss may represent some decent gravity loads, but you need to consider lateral and wind loads, and how they 'distribute' to the foundations.

I am a structural engineer. A few things for you to consider as you continue this build:

1. Lateral stability in both the longitudinal and transverse directions. You need to have some moment connections between column/beams OR cross-bracing OR walls;

2. Your roof framing needs to get load to your fascia truss. Presently, you have longitudinal members (look like cold-formed studs) that support the roofing (not too sure that your roof sheeting is - I presume metal deck of some sort), but there does not appear to be a load-path to the fascia truss. The usual way to frame this for gravity loads would be as follows:

Name:  CARPORT.png
Views: 428
Size:  1.10 MB

The purlins would be placed to align with the panel points (top node) of the truss - maybe not every panel point, but possibly every 2nd, depending on the roofing type and spans involved.

Hope this helps.
    LINCOLN
    Square Wave TIG 200
    Power MIG 210 MP
    Ranger 330 MPX

MILLER
    Thunderbolt AC/DC

HYPERTHERM
    Powermax 190C
    Powermax 45XP

HOUGAN
    HMD 130
    HMD 505

FEIN/SLUGGER
    14" COLD METAL CHOP SAW
    9" COLD METAL HAND-HELD SAW

Post Thanks / Like

2999keys

Originally Posted by 2999keys

Upside down - explains your Engineering/Design capabilities -
    What: is your hurricane, tornado, snow zone build-specs . . . ?

hth

Opus

Last edited by OPUS FERRO; 01-27-2020 at 01:54 AM. Reason: . . . Zones . . .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dee_veloper View Post
    Did you get a permit for that ?
    I'm just going to suggest that a permitting process isn't what you're implying it is.

I pulled a permit for a structure in my backyard. I asked if I needed a structural engineer to review or a CAD design even. They said "you can just draw it out on a napkin and bring that in if you want". No structural design requirements. It had electricity though and they made a licensed electrician handle that part.

Granted, I do have a family friend that is a structural commercial welder so I had him review to make sure I wasn't going to eff it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  retry.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  57.6 KB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist