+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sanrex welders

Post Thanks / Like

Sanrex welders

Sanrex made thermal Arc years ago. Now they make their own. Anyone have one. I am wondering how they match up to some other brands. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sanrex welders

I haven't followed them in years and I'm not a welder. However, they did make high-quality stuff for TA. And they do or do make their own power supplies and semiconductors. I mean very high-power power supplies. How about a 15V, 15,000Amp supply? Or a 3 MegaWatt unit for plasma heating? They have another 1000V, 3000A unit.

I can't vouch for their current welders as far as features and stuff. I do believe that they are quite expensive. https://www.ebay.com/itm/SanRex-Sana...-/233273106617
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

I have been welding for 20+ years. I have used all the brands also. The first time I struck an arc on a thermal arc DC machine I was like Wow. That is amazing. The AC/dc machine I have now wasn’t as good but still better than miller/Lincoln. I am leaning towards them again but they are pricy. But if you have ever used one you would understand. Simply amazing machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting equipment. I don't recall hearing about Sanrex before so I looked around. Appears the U.S.A. base is in Long Island N.Y. and may be where some service would be done. I don't know if there are other service locations.
    That ebay seller Oldendum listed is a dealer in GA. They also have a unit that looks like it would compete if not beat the Lincoln square wave 200: https://www.ebay.com/itm/233273017104. Called a 180 but the specs say it outputs 200 amps.
    Foot pedal is extra but comes with controls of some sort on the torch.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by summeyracing View Post
    I have been welding for 20+ years. I have used all the brands also. The first time I struck an arc on a thermal arc DC machine I was like Wow. That is amazing.
    The AC/dc machine I have now wasn’t as good but still better than miller/Lincoln.
    I am leaning towards them again but they are pricy. But if you have ever used one you would understand. Simply amazing machines.
    What AC/DC machine do you have now?
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a thermal arc 185tsw. Great machine. Basically an older sanrex. I just wonder if they did like most companies do and went cheap to increase profits

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to know, I looked around a bit and not too much information about them. Sounds like they make the electronics parts (Japan) and you would like to think for the price its quality industrial. But I'm not trusting of any manufacturers any longer because they all source globally due to costs/profit. That doesn't mean products can't be good as long as the quality is controlled and are engineered properly in the first place.
    I'm in the market for a inverter AC/DC TIG in the output and size/weight range of their (Sanrex) 300AP, that's why I looked into it. The specs look pretty good. Few things so far I noticed: No response to questions via email, doesn't appear to have an outlet to power a water cooler (one of the questions), not crazy about the ABS plastic case (not a real big deal), and why does it draw aprox. twice the amps input as the competitors (Miller Dynasty 280, Lincoln Aspect 375-really a 250 amp on single phase? Here is their PDF on the 300: https://www.sanrex.com/wp-content/up...8/11/300AP.pdf
    I also inquired if I could demo the machine. Appears they have dealers in N.Y., Mass. and the main headquarters / repair facility is in on Long Island. All a reasonable distance for me to drive to.
    I may try the phone but I still want more information. Support in the event of a problem is also high on the priority list. Lots of ifs here .
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    Hard to know, I looked around a bit and not too much information about them. Sounds like they make the electronics parts (Japan) and you would like to think for the price its quality industrial. But I'm not trusting of any manufacturers any longer because they all source globally due to costs/profit. That doesn't mean products can't be good as long as the quality is controlled and are engineered properly in the first place.
    I'm in the market for a inverter AC/DC TIG in the output and size/weight range of their (Sanrex) 300AP, that's why I looked into it. The specs look pretty good. Few things so far I noticed: No response to questions via email, doesn't appear to have an outlet to power a water cooler (one of the questions), not crazy about the ABS plastic case (not a real big deal), and why does it draw aprox. twice the amps input as the competitors (Miller Dynasty 280, Lincoln Aspect 375-really a 250 amp on single phase? Here is their PDF on the 300: https://www.sanrex.com/wp-content/up...8/11/300AP.pdf
    I also inquired if I could demo the machine. Appears they have dealers in N.Y., Mass. and the main headquarters / repair facility is in on Long Island. All a reasonable distance for me to drive to.
    I may try the phone but I still want more information. Support in the event of a problem is also high on the priority list. Lots of ifs here .

I know the reason sanrex started producing them again is because the Navy requested it. The Navy is also the pickiest of the armed forces when it comes to welding. I went through the army school. Navy was a whole different school. Sanrex has a rep in Georgia also. I have talked to the home office and the guy in Georgia. Through them I might be able to find a board to fix mine. They seemed very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Was the Georgia rep MooreWPS.com, Joseph Moore? He is listed on the SanRex site as a distributor, and has ebay listings for the 180AP and the 300AP. (I don't get why SanRex has the 200AP.)
    I spoke to a fellow at the Port Washington N.Y. (Long Island) location. He said these units are identical to the original Thermal Arc units.
    I emailed a dealer in N.Y., no stock but offered to send a salesman to my shop for a demo!
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Sanrex told me that the machines were very close internally but the boards were different. Yes that was the guy in Georgia. He has a new old stock 185tsw but wants full price for it. Why would someone pay full price for something with no warranty. Wanted to hear from one more guy on parts but it looks like I am buying a new welder

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to dredge this old thread up to ask if anyone has had real world experience with one of these Sanrex units? I’m looking at a used 300 AP and I’m hoping these are as good as the old thermal arc units. I have a GMS 400 that I really like and I’m hoping these Sanrex units are in the same league.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by winniweld View Post
    I’m going to dredge this old thread up to ask if anyone has had real world experience with one of these Sanrex units? I’m looking at a used 300 AP and I’m hoping these are as good as the old thermal arc units. I have a GMS 400 that I really like and I’m hoping these Sanrex units are in the same league.
    Never got that far with the Sanrex. I ended up with a German made Esab ET 301i. Can you try the used unit before you buy?
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    Never got that far with the Sanrex. I ended up with a German made Esab ET 301i. Can you try the used unit before you buy?
    I havent asked to try it before i buy it but i certainly wouldnt buy it with out running it through its paces. Ive contacted the seller and expressed my interest. Im chasing a customer for payment for a large project i just completed for him and if i can get the cash in hand im seriously thinking of taking a look at this unit. The guy is asking 4K , hes come to 3500 just by contacting him; i think i can get him lower as he claims he's moving and doesn't want to take it with him. He says he paid 5600 for it and has used it very little.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist