+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 285 Demag repair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

285 Demag repair

The pins kept sliding on this bucket, we tried a bunch of different solutions and nothing seemed to work. They need to grease this thing more often and fix the automatic greaser lines which if you ask me is a flippin joke, get out of the damn seat once in awhile and grease the damn thing.

So they lost pin on the left altogether one day. Me and the operator wrestled the cylinder back up with a comalong and slid the pin back in, by that time it was time go home. I talked with the maintenance foreman on this job who Ive known since he was in diapers, 30 years old very sharp and not afraid to make **** happen. He asked to come up with a solution til they can get this fixed right, they are talking about doing some line boring and bushings, pins and such on this bucket, but it wont happen for a year or 2.

This is what I came up with, it aint pretty and its overkill but damn the pins wont be comin out now.

Name:  Picture0826190552_1 (3).jpg
Views: 819
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  Picture0826190556_1 (2).jpg
Views: 822
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  Picture0826190553_1 (1).jpg
Views: 847
Size:  55.3 KB this is the view from up in the back of the bucket looking out

Name:  Picture0826190555_1 (1).jpg
Views: 843
Size:  61.7 KBthe side cutters I built this winter are holding up very well

Name:  Picture0826190554_1 (1).jpg
Views: 820
Size:  102.3 KB this is the Demag

Its gonna be a long day when we got to change cylinders or pins, that will take awhile to cut that suff to get the pins out but that was what needed done.
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 09-01-2019 at 09:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 285 Demag repair

"Fix it right" if it's like the company where I worked then it's relative, when copper prices were down they didn't want to spend the money, when prices wer up they wanted the production, typically bean counters cant see anything BUT the dollar hanging right in front of them. "Fix it right" ultimately never happened.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    "Fix it right" if it's like the company where I worked then it's relative, when copper prices were down they didn't want to spend the money, when prices wer up they wanted the production, typically bean counters cant see anything BUT the dollar hanging right in front of them. "Fix it right" ultimately never happened.
    Yup...I think it been that way since the very beginning. Evry place, and evry type of work Ive done its been the same way, run run run til it don't go no more then fix it up just good enough to get it goin.

These guys aren't quite as bad as some though.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like one of those permanent “temporary” fixes nice work . Had a boss ask me to do a temporary fix one time ,asked him when we were going to fix it right. He paused and said”the next time it breaks”

Post Thanks / Like

Slim wasn't too concerned whether it was supposed to be temporary or permanent, they got a 45 foot vein under the rock that this shovel is digging off the top, they want that coal. We thought we had this thing fixed 4 or 5 times already, now its fixed and the pins absolutely will not come out unless you cut that stuff off first.

Post Thanks / Like

POM; not to get too far afield but don't you have oilers over there to handle greasing and oiling? anyway- you bailed the company out again but that's what experienced welders do. good idea making a captive pin. hopefully it won't be you that has to bust b@lls cutting it out down the road.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    POM; not to get too far afield but don't you have oilers over there to handle greasing and oiling? anyway- you bailed the company out again but that's what experienced welders do. good idea making a captive pin. hopefully it won't be you that has to bust b@lls cutting it out down the road.
    There is 2 fellas there that do greasing and such, they take care of the oil when the operator lets them know about it, and they have a schedule for greasing. This thing has a automatic greasing system, apparently its not working right for these 2 pins, the oiler guys grease these pins in the morning when it gets started and the operator is supposed to grease them twice during the day as he checks to make sure everything is working right.

I don't get involved in their routine maintenance issues too much, I don't work for them I am just a contractor so its not really my busness what they do. I just offer suggestions and fix what needs fixed. They pretty much leave me to come up with an answer how to fix it.

I most likely will be the guy cuttin this apart to change cylinders and to get it ready for line boring when they decide to do that. I wouldn't feel right putting some other poor schmuck through royal hell cuttin all that out.

Post Thanks / Like

nice job! heck im in NJ ill come line bore it for ya!
    R.T. Welding LLC
    On Site Service
    Columbus, NJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richT View Post
    nice job! heck im in NJ ill come line bore it for ya!
    The guy im contracted to has 3 line boring outfits and 2 guys for each setup, thanks for the offer though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye an old miner View Post
    The guy im contracted to has 3 line boring outfits and 2 guys for each setup, thanks for the offer though.
    do they do it in house?
    R.T. Welding LLC
    On Site Service
    Columbus, NJ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richT View Post
    do they do it in house?
    If you mean by in house out on the job yes they do it out on the job just like I do, we also got a guy in a shop who does it along with a machine shop with lathes and stuff, and a hydraulic shop as well. I don't get involved with that end of it very much, I am usually put in the mines workin

Post Thanks / Like

Might not be that hard to cut out. Just a matter of paring it away a bit at a time blowing the metal downwards.

Wouldn't want to try a straight sever cut, what with the chance of the O2 stream wandering into the good stuff ya wanna keep. Bigazz tip, and literally just melt it out as you go. Just watch were your feet are

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Might not be that hard to cut out. Just a matter of paring it away a bit at a time blowing the metal downwards.

Wouldn't want to try a straight sever cut, what with the chance of the O2 stream wandering into the good stuff ya wanna keep. Bigazz tip, and literally just melt it out as you go. Just watch were your feet are
    That's what Im thinkin, its just gonna take a bit of time to do it, and most of the guys I know doin this work don't have the patience anymore to do it like that. They wanna light it up and get it out and be damned if its rip **** or bust while they are doin it

Post Thanks / Like

Popeye:

Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your posts, and looking at the pics. Thank you for taking the time to share with the group the cool stuff you get to work on I would buy you a steak dinner just to spend a day with you on the job. You've forgotten more than most ever learn. Keep posting!
    Lincoln Precision TIG 185.
    Flex-Loc 150 torch.
    Super-Flex hose.
    Lincoln MIG 180.
    Victor Oxy/Act torch set.
    DeWalt Bandsaw with SWAG stand

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WenValley View Post
    Popeye:

Just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your posts, and looking at the pics. Thank you for taking the time to share with the group the cool stuff you get to work on I would buy you a steak dinner just to spend a day with you on the job. You've forgotten more than most ever learn. Keep posting!
    Thank you for the compliment...im glad you enjoy the pictures and posts, even though im not such a great photographer. Steak dinner? Sure come on to Pennsylvania and spend a day or 2 be glad to have the company out there...some days get pretty lonesome when noone shows up with a busted doohickey to fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  20190902_122053.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  94.3 KB
    Does that pin float on that curl cylinders? I don't remember if on our Komatsu pc4000 if the curl cylinder pins float but I know on the Cat shovels all the pins float and they just have keeper plates bolted on the ends of the pins. But the picture attached is for our P&H electric rope shovels. Normally from the factory they get just a big bar welded across to keep the pins in, but we take those off and put pin collars with an 1 1/4 dia bolt through so you can simply cut the bolt off and put a new one in when you do a dipper change. Not sure if this would help you guys out, but we do retrofit a lot of pins that have a solid keeper to a pin collar keeper style as it seems to save a lot of time.
    TOOLS AND TOYS
    SMAW Mid States Inc. "MISSING LINK" 10-150 AMP Buzzer circa 1945ish
    SMAW Magic Wand 40-60 AMP Suitcase Buzzer circa 1939ish
    GMAW Hobart 210 Ironman
    Oxy-Propane Torch
    Many other old and cold goodies
    "Rusty but Trusty"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MISSING LINK View Post
    Name:  20190902_122053.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  94.3 KB
    Does that pin float on that curl cylinders? I don't remember if on our Komatsu pc4000 if the curl cylinder pins float but I know on the Cat shovels all the pins float and they just have keeper plates bolted on the ends of the pins. But the picture attached is for our P&H electric rope shovels. Normally from the factory they get just a big bar welded across to keep the pins in, but we take those off and put pin collars with an 1 1/4 dia bolt through so you can simply cut the bolt off and put a new one in when you do a dipper change. Not sure if this would help you guys out, but we do retrofit a lot of pins that have a solid keeper to a pin collar keeper style as it seems to save a lot of time.
    No those pins don't float, they are supposed to stay stationary. The original setup to keep them in place was pretty simple, but the whole problem is they aint getting enough grease. These guys depend on these auto greasers to do this and they aren't working on these 2 pins, they need to get out the seat about evry 4 hours and grease them with a grease gun, shucks they gotta get out once a day or so to piss or take a crap, that would be a good time to do it. As far as line boring and such I don't know if it needs that or not, im thinkin if they get enough grease they will be ok

Post Thanks / Like

Bad thing is you took away the only time is was getting lubricated by putting the pin retainer on it. Now the operator will not worry about it at all since the pin won't work itself out. If they don't fix the auto greaser you will be fixing the bore and pin that gets worn to nothing since it is dry. But your fix looks good as does all the work you post.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leightrepairs View Post
    Bad thing is you took away the only time is was getting lubricated by putting the pin retainer on it. Now the operator will not worry about it at all since the pin won't work itself out. If they don't fix the auto greaser you will be fixing the bore and pin that gets worn to nothing since it is dry. But your fix looks good as does all the work you post.
    Yeah I know, I told them that much, the lead mechanic told the operator to get out and grease em at 9 o clock, noon and 3 oclock, the oilersguys will do it for him first thing in the morning. The operator been greasing it from what the mechanic told me so it should hold up. There is a valve or somethin needs to be replaced to make thgis auto greaser work, they said its on order so maybe it will get fixed, I still don't rust it though, there aint nothin like a guy with a grease gun doin it, that way you know damn well its getting done.....thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Yes sir an auto greaser can be nice but they don't look at the rest of the machine like a good oiler does.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist