Thread: 130XP new to me questions

Post Thanks / Like

130XP new to me questions

I bought a 130XP the other week for cheap, two argon tanks (full) 60 and 80CF, 15' cables, Miller cart, spare parts and manual. This thing looks as new, has been parked for about 15 years, very little use. Got it home, cleaned it up, repaired the wire feed problem ( it was just stuck in the liner for lack of movement) 11 LB spool of wire E70S6E5, nice Harris regulator on the tank.
    Well I am having one problem with it that has me stumped....throws too much heat on recommended settings, this thing will weld 1/4" steel at 1/8" settings. I wonder if this has been modified or is there another problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 130XP new to me questions

Maybe someone will be able to help out if you can post some pics of the suspect welds.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had one of those welders for a long time, I bought it new back in the nineties. I always thought the door chart settings were a bit hotter than they should have been. I also think my machine punches above its weight, It’s been a really solid machine. Looking at the machine I’d seriously doubt that it’s been modified, spendso e time with it and learn what settings work for you.

Post Thanks / Like

you aren't running it on 240 volts are you?
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the replies, it is a 110 volt unit, welds look great. I've been playing with the heat and feed range....looking much better, I guess this welder very underrated on what it can do....I'm impressed. Nice buzz sound, I see I have to switch wire for sheet metal work, .023 I guess, need to find the tips, I assume the liner for .030 is OK for the .023. This seems like a great machine for my needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Miller door charts for recommended setting have always ran too hot to me. Not even close, but I don’t use them anyway.
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arml View Post
    Thank you for the replies, it is a 110 volt unit, welds look great. I've been playing with the heat and feed range....looking much better, I guess this welder very underrated on what it can do....I'm impressed. Nice buzz sound, I see I have to switch wire for sheet metal work, .023 I guess, need to find the tips, I assume the liner for .030 is OK for the .023. This seems like a great machine for my needs.
    yeah the liner will work.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I installed a spool of .023 wire in the machine for light metal work....seems that it will not feed the wire, I have it as tight as it can go, made the spools as loose as it can go, wheel just spins, won't feed the wire. Do I need another wheel for .023 ? I was under the impression that it should work for both .030 and .023. Seems I can't win.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm

Unless it has the factory .030/.035 Drive roll that it was shipped with, the manual does indicate that the

solid wire drive will is .023-.035

https://weldfabulous.com/miller-0904...-023-035-wire/

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow...O1316F_MIL.pdf
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

I have to wonder if there is a problem with the liner, I had feed problems when I first got this machine, wire would not feed right. I pulled about 4-5 feet of wire out and it seemed ok. Kink in the wire? I'll try pulling some off this new spool, hope it corrects it. Seems when I try welding it spits and wire is at times pushing hard on the piece I'm trying to weld. I tried to adjust wire feed, heat and tried doing a jig...nothing helped. At that point everything is fubar.

Post Thanks / Like

Try cleaning the oxide coating off the drive where the power pin goes. If either the power pin or the drive has to much oxide "rust" coating them you will get some strange problems welding.
    To test drive rolls, remove the gun and feed wire out through the case. Try to stop the wire between your fingers. Good drive rolls will pull steady and not want to stop. worn drive rolls may skip or slip real bad.
    Also with pressure roll released, try to move the drive roll up and down. A worn bearing will cause feeding problems feeding wire. Make sure you have the right tip.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I tried putting a shim under the spring cup, not in it but under it...magic, it feeds the .023 wire now, seems everything is working well. What a relief. Machine is working very well, had to change out the regulator, seems gauge is off, put a flow meter on it and, it is accurate. Thank you for all the suggestions, I'll go over this machine, I like it, I think it will be good for my needs. At least now I can get things to stick. Thanks