+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not your typical welding table question.

Post Thanks / Like

not your typical welding table question.

im looking at making some metal work tables. now i understand overkill but i cant justify the cost. i need functionality so im trying to spec some tables. we will be using them for general work benches but its not unheard of us loading up a engine on them at one point so for my tables i need it to support about 1000- 1500 lbs. so my question is what size steel and why. table top i was thinking 3/16 with a nice steel frame for support and then what size for legs im more interested in the why i need to use what size steel because if i know why then i can build future table and design them correctly

Post Thanks / Like

Re: not your typical welding table question.

I think most folks would agree that 3/16ths is too thin for the top if you are doing any welding or hammering. I put a 3/8ths inch top on this table, and the top was the most expensive part of the table. The most I have ever put on this was probably 600lbs, but I am sure it could handle 1500lbs. According to this on line calculator, this frame would deflect less than 6 thousands of an inch with 1500 pounds on it. http://metalgeek.com/static/deflection.php

The frame is 2x2x.120 square tube. Going from memory I think I spent $100 for the tube and $200 for the top. The top measures 3ft x 5ft

Name:  table1.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  138.4 KB
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    I think most folks would agree that 3/16ths is too thin for the top if you are doing any welding or hammering. I put a 3/8ths inch top on this table, and the top was the most expensive part of the table. The most I have ever put on this was probably 600lbs, but I am sure it could handle 1500lbs. According to this on line calculator, this frame would deflect less than 6 thousands of an inch with 1500 pounds on it. http://metalgeek.com/static/deflection.php

The frame is 2x2x.120 square tube. Going from memory I think I spent $100 for the tube and $200 for the top. The top measures 3ft x 5ft

That’s a nice little table.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

That’s a nice little table.
    Thanks!
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Greta info and I might just copy the table

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.atc-mechanical.com/calcul...al-properties/

Talking with an engineer friend she referred me to this calculator it really helped me with what tubing to select. Just thought I would pass it along

Also she mentioned that the tube would be strong enough but to see how you would attract it to the table top with welding or by using a Frame design.

Last edited by Bob92553; 09-04-2019 at 05:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Seth came through this morning with a functional punch press It weighed 7500 LBS. It was too big for anybody but maybe Zap to use, but I got excited at the table:

3" thick Iron 24x36" held in place by four bolts. It had several slots for bolts to hold stuff in place. The whole machine is now at Mac Steel Rutland VT. He sold it for less than $300.00. The table wouldn't be big, but it would restrain weldments.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

here's the underside of my table if you are interested in copying it. I welded on corner gussets and drilled through those for the bolts holding on the top. I countersunk the screw heads

Name:  table2.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  85.5 KB
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

How big does your table need to be? Any special requirements? What you have said so far is pretty vague.

Bob - strength is rarely an issue with platforms like tables. Stiffness is what matters. If you get a table to actually fail from a load, it would look like a banana long before it failed, and you would be annoyed at how bouncy/flexible it was long before that. So we are back to my original questions above... You could set an engine (1000 lbs) on a table made from 18 ga tubing with a 14 ga top and it would hold it up. You wouldn't be happy with it though...

My main bench is long and narrow and has a 1/4" top (8'x28") and it is very sturdy. But a 28" span covers a lot of sins...
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

I would say 1/4'' would be the thinnest. As for weight , it depends on how you build it. Check with suppliers on what cutoffs or drops they have. You mat want a 3'x5' top , but they have a 32''x64'' or some odd size. You may find you can get a odd size for less.

Here's a table I built with a lady member here I was teaching. I would set anything on it.
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.ph...ble&highlight=

Post Thanks / Like

How big is a fundamental question. 1/4 top is worth a little extra cost. I built about 200 work benches for an alternator plant.

Post Thanks / Like

here's the underside of my table if you are interested in copying it. I welded on corner gussets and drilled through those for the bolts holding on the top. I countersunk the screw heads

This is great thanks for the pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    How big does your table need to be? Any special requirements? What you have said so far is pretty vague.

Bob - strength is rarely an issue with platforms like tables. Stiffness is what matters. If you get a table to actually fail from a load, it would look like a banana long before it failed, and you would be annoyed at how bouncy/flexible it was long before that. So we are back to my original questions above... You could set an engine (1000 lbs) on a table made from 18 ga tubing with a 14 ga top and it would hold it up. You wouldn't be happy with it though...

My main bench is long and narrow and has a 1/4" top (8'x28") and it is very sturdy. But a 28" span covers a lot of sins...
    I'm starting to see that really it's about what I'll be doing twith the table and now will it function. Table should be about 4x8. 30 inches height and is mostly going to be a general workbench with some light fabrication.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I would say 1/4'' would be the thinnest. As for weight , it depends on how you build it. Check with suppliers on what cutoffs or drops they have. You mat want a 3'x5' top , but they have a 32''x64'' or some odd size. You may find you can get a odd size for less.

Here's a table I built with a lady member here I was teaching. I would set anything on it.
    https://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.ph...ble&highlight=
    Didn't think of asking for cutoffs that size. Will start asking around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    How big is a fundamental question. 1/4 top is worth a little extra cost. I built about 200 work benches for an alternator plant.
    And this is why the question comes up in my mind. I would like one huge table but if I plan on making some and a profit I would like to know where the balance is functionality and cost is. At 200 tables one change effects the bottom line

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

And I presume you could then place a washer or two on one corner to shim it flat if it wasn't perfect.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on shop size too. 4x8 is a bit big for me. Not cause of space but reach and walk around. I like 42x60 to 72, 60 is plenty if a cut box is added
    Mine are scrap but the size is everything. I like no holes, spills and dirt and as I am the designer can work around the edges, and actually like vise on another small bench.

Post Thanks / Like

My bench is multi purpose.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    My bench is multi purpose.
    these are GREAT. Could you do some more close ups on the tool storage for the tables also how does the down draft vent where does it the exhaust go

Post Thanks / Like

This is how I vent my plasma cutting table. You could do similar on your weld table with a small extractor.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    And I presume you could then place a washer or two on one corner to shim it flat if it wasn't perfect.
    Seth, (my oldest son) appeared about sunrise to get the 5 ton trailer. He was picking up a punch press. 2 hours later he was back, needed load equalizers. This monster weighed 7500 LBS. It seems nobody wants the machine to punch holes in massive plate steel.
    I couldn't stop the wheels of thought; a massive table with bolt slots. I could make a small welding table utterly unflexible.

He sputtered about not wanting to break it up until all hope was lost that someone could use the whole machine. Most recently it was used to punch in one piece a 9" x 3" complex handle through 5/8" plate. 5HP 3 Phase 230 Volt.

Anybody interested?

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s some pics of welding clamp hangers but nothing fancy and you prob already have something in mind.

:

Post Thanks / Like

not your typical welding table question.

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Here’s some pics of welding clamp hangers but nothing fancy and you prob already have something in mind.

That's a very nice table Lis. And I thought I have a lot of clamps..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by precivilization; 09-05-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is just a box to cut in, no draft. The other bench has a vise and small drill press,, a small brake on it too. Small welder reaches both benches.
    I never did build a proper bench. These were scrap hustled when I moved in, have crap boogered on for tailoring, just cobbled. No one notices though and it worked well enough I never fix them.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist