+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dedicated TIG welder or Multiprocess?

Post Thanks / Like

Dedicated TIG welder or Multiprocess?

I have a older Millermatic 211 and now I would like to add TIG. I am a hobbyist (art) and have been looking at the multiprocess units because of the ability to have one box in a compact space. I could use some guidance on whether to get a multi-process unit and sell my 211 or just add a dedicated TIG machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dedicated TIG welder or Multiprocess?

Keep it and get the tig too... just build a taller cart. You will want all the processes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

I'm old and prefer a dedicated process machine. I'm not sure about the multi process ones as far as issues. If one process goes dead, are they others dead too ?
    As for artwork, isn't that why you want tig?
    What metal do you plan on working with ?
    Carbon steel and gas is pretty hard to beat using mig. Same for SS for artwork.
    I use dedicated mugs for each and I have a tig machine. A old-time 180 SD that I had forever. Each machine has its purpose.
    A foodpedal is a definite must have. Some machines have fixed PRE and POST flow built in, non adjustable.
    Your budget will definitely come into play and thickness and material type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have dedicated and multiprocess units. All have their place. In a production environment the xmt is the only style multi i would use. Although i do have a couple welders who highly prefer taking their non 6010 stick welding tests with the multimatic over the dynasty.

For art, the multimatic or ta or rebel would all work fine. Artwork it is about wants over needs in my opinion. You are likely not going to push any decent machine beyond its limits.

One consideration for tig with multiprocess is that most are lift arc only. If you want hf start or aluminum tig, it gets pricy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Multimatic 200
    Ellis 1800
    Haberle S225 9" cold saw
    MM 300; Spoolmate 30A w/ WC-24
    TB 302G
    Dynasty 280 DX Tigrunner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by txrpls View Post
    I have a older Millermatic 211 and now I would like to add TIG. I am a hobbyist (art) and have been looking at the multiprocess units because of the ability to have one box in a compact space. I could use some guidance on whether to get a multi-process unit and sell my 211 or just add a dedicated TIG machine.
    most cheaper muilti's tend to be a mig with very basic stick/tig tacked on the side.
    there is a few true muilti's out now but price is up there.
    on the plus side for the good muilti's is they probably have better mig features than what your old machine has.
    so it might be nice to have an upgraded mig as well.

Post Thanks / Like

You didn't say how much is your budget, and whether you want AC/DC or just DC. These are huge deciding factors on helping you choose the right machine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I definitely want AC/DC. The budget is no more than $3K. I have been researching the Miller 220, but I do not understand a lot of the specifications about the TIG. One of the large online retailers has a package right at my max budget.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all. I definitely want AC/DC. The budget is no more than $3K. I have been researching the Miller 220, but I do not understand a lot of the specifications about the TIG. One of the large online retailers has a package right at my max budget.
    I definitely would buy from local supplier . The same one that you get tanks from. Get a package deal price.
    Many suppliers may price match. If they're a $100 more, it's still worth. I bought three machines new from suppliers and their prices were close. I got a deal on gas and accessories so it was a win win for me.
    I would never buy a machine online. That's me.

Post Thanks / Like

I was facing the same dilemma and ended up buying the water-cooled version of the HTP Invertig 221, a very fine TIG welder. It will also do stick should I ever need it.
    HTP Invertig 221H w/ CK20 water-cooled torch • Lincoln PowerMig 210MP • Hypertherm PowerMax 45XP • Optrel Crystal 2.0

Post Thanks / Like

The HTP Invertig 221 is a fine machine, with stellar reputation and a great company to back it up. It is as good as if not better than the Miller Dynasty, which is the golden standard IMHO but minus the hefty price tag. I think you would be served well with one. With your budget, you can even get the water cooler for the torch like koenbro above. You can also stick weld with it and you would be covered in all three processes.

Post Thanks / Like

One disadvantage of having a single multi-process machine is you can't sell a part of the machine to upgrade. With separate dedicated machines, you can always upgrade when you feel like it.

As far as the TIG specifications, just watch every TIG welding video from Welding Tips & Tricks back-2-back, and you'll be an expert on them.

I see your near San Antonio. We're almost neighbors but Texas is too damn big!
    Last edited by Oscar; 09-15-2019 at 10:15 AM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

I like being able to just turn a machine on and weld with our change over for a different process. Also, if I only need mig, then I see no reason to have Tig in the driveway or field risking damage killing all my weld capability at once.

I like my water cooled invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    One disadvantage of having a single multi-process machine is you can't sell a part of the machine to upgrade. With separate dedicated machines, you can always upgrade when you feel like it.

As far as the TIG specifications, just watch every TIG welding video from Welding Tips & Tricks back-2-back, and you'll be an expert on them.

I see your near San Antonio. We're almost neighbors but Texas is too damn big!
    No kidding, but Amen on the too big. Actually Laredo to San Antonio is a short drive for Texas. I see that you have the Invertig 221. Are you happy with that unit? I was only leaning to the Miller 22O because you can get a cordless foot control, which I thought might be nice.

Post Thanks / Like

still using this everlast mts211 si...about 5 years old

no ac

have 2 other tig welders, ahp, primeweld

recently changed stinger....ck17-12-RSF FX, torch pkg, superflex...sure works great

Name:  tig.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  42.2 KB

Charl

Post Thanks / Like

No kidding, but Amen on the too big. Actually Laredo to San Antonio is a short drive for Texas. I see that you have the Invertig 221. Are you happy with that unit? I was only leaning to the Miller 22O because you can get a cordless foot control, which I thought might be nice.
    Yup it's not too bad, about 2 hours haulin'. The 221 kicks butt, plain and simple. Had it since '13. I used it the other day at full power to do some copper spot-welding, and didn't skip a beat. Water cooled with a Weld-Tec Roto-head torch. It sits idle the majority of year, since the few projects I do I mostly use MIG or sometimes stick, but TIG comes in handy at times too. Speaking of San Antonio, I'll be up there in two weeks for a birthday part.

Post Thanks / Like

Dedicated TIG welder or Multiprocess?

I have both but I lean towards dedicated machines when it comes to tig.

Im a retired NON pro and l like tried and true brand names. I would rather buy quality used than (relatively) unproven new.

The used market can provide good machines if you are patient.

Here’s a Miller 350 Syncrowave I bought used 5 or 6 years ago. I cleaned it up and built a skid. I paid $750 Cdn but it required a little lovin’.

I sold it recently to a friend who needed it more than I.
    Last edited by Lis2323; 09-15-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

Im a retired NON pro and l like tried and true brand names. I would rather buy quality used than (relatively) unproven new.

Here’s a Miller 350 Syncrowave I bought used 5 or 6 years ago. I cleaned it up and built a skid. I paid $750 Cdn but it required a little lovin’.

Nice setup. I wish I had been your friend

Post Thanks / Like

Nice setup. I wish I had been your friend
    If I provide my email addy you can do etransfer and be my friend too! LOL
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post

I really like your craftsmanship and attention to details. That skid, the paint job and the whole setup looks as though it came out of a factory, very well done Lis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by precivilization View Post
    I really like your craftsmanship and attention to details. That skid, the paint job and the whole setup looks as though it came out of a factory, very well done Lis.

Thank you preciv !

Things don’t always turn out the way I’d like but I was happy with this one!

It went to a master welder who spent a couple of years using this model Miller welding iridium so good news all around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few members here that I sometimes think I need to loan some of my equipment to with the hopes of getting them back cleaned up, need to add Lis2323 to that list. I owned the same machine and even new I don't think it looked that good.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Torch controls are nice. Especially if you are not welding at a bench. Wireless pedal or not, kind on a pain to pick up and move a pedal around a part.

Post Thanks / Like

Multi-process machines have their place... and it's a pretty small place at that.

You already have a 211, not a bad MIG welder, so keep it and add an AC/DC TIG, that way you've covered all processes with two machines. (of course, you might upgrade the 211 to a 252 or similar at some point )

Post Thanks / Like

Well I pulled the trigger on an HTP Invertig 221 with the cooler. The welder showed up today and the cooler and cart should be here tomorrow. Have to get some argon tomorrow. Hope to have a fun weekend learning the machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Fire that baby up!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist