Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Battle of the TIG Welders: Invertig 221 vs. PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Battle of the TIG Welders: Invertig 221 vs. PowerTIG 255EXT

Mister Tig needs a NASCAR-style jumpsuit!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just jump the fence already! Invertig 400 AC/DC, my friend! That's what I will get soon as that boat hits the Atlantic coast! Why? Because I can.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Just jump the fence already! Invertig 400 AC/DC, my friend! That's what I will get soon as that boat hits the Atlantic coast! Why? Because I can.
    Now you are speaking my language!!!!!
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Not enough for my needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CRCFX View Post
    Not enough for my needs.
    400A ain't enough? Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Now you are speaking my language!!!!!
    To be accurate, HTP says 400A on 3-Φ input power, and 350A on 1-Φ power. I had thought, and mentioned it in another thread that it was gonna be 300A on 1-Φ power, but I was mistaken. Whether or not I get the 1-Φ►3-Φ converter is still undecided. It's only 50A more, for a heck of a lot more money. Who knows. Maybe. They said they might have it for their November open-house event. To bad I'm not anywhere close by. Perhaps someone here near Elk Grove Village, IL can go check it out.
    Last edited by Oscar; 10-09-2019 at 07:26 PM.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

400A ain't enough? Huh?

To be accurate, HTP says 400A on 3-Φ input power, and 350A on 1-Φ power. I had thought, and mentioned it in another thread that it was gonna be 300A on 1-Φ power, but I was mistaken. Whether or not I get the 1-Φ►3-Φ converter is still undecided. It's only 50A more, for a heck of a lot more money. Who knows. Maybe. They said they might have it for their November open-house event. To bad I'm not anywhere close by. Perhaps someone here near Elk Grove Village, IL can go check it out.
    Run it on single phase and see if it meets your needs. I get 350 amps out of 3 phase input on my Dynastys and is plenty for 98% of my work.
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

400A ain't enough? Huh?

I recall that thread about 300A on 1phase, thanks for clearing that up. I have 3phase but the 350A would be plenty.
    Ernie F.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

400A ain't enough? Huh?

Probably like their 220ProPulse MTS...220 amps for 10 seconds. 200 amps rated. So maybe you are right. 300 amps, with 350 amps for 10 seconds. Kind of like my diehard 200 amp battery charger 2, 40, and 200 amps. It says to only use 200 amps for 5 seconds.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by lugweld; 10-10-2019 at 12:37 AM.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CRCFX View Post
    Not enough for my needs.
    Wait. I thought you said in your OP that you "didn't know how much aluminum you would be doing, but would like to have the capability."

If 400A "isn't enough," then you can BET that 200A at 20% duty cycle (as one of your candidate welders has) is most definitely "not enough."

LOL ... 220A for 10 seconds ... so I guess you would call that a 1.6% duty cycle at 220A...? What would the DC be at 400A? Longer-lived than a flash bulb?
    Last edited by Kelvin; 10-10-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Probably like their 220ProPulse MTS...220 amps for 10 seconds. 200 amps rated. So maybe you are right. 300 amps, with 350 amps for 10 seconds. Kind of like my diehard 200 amp battery charger 2, 40, and 200 amps. It says to only use 200 amps for 5 seconds.
    Not for this one, it's based off of the Stel 453 AC/DC, a pretty stout looking machine if you ask me. It really was just my mis-reading of the spec sheet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    LOL ... 220A for 10 seconds ... so I guess you would call that a 1.6% duty cycle at 220A...? What would the DC be at 400A? Longer-lived than a flash bulb?
    That isn't the 400A TIG that I was referencing, Lugweld was referencing a spec off of a 200A-class MIG, the ProPulse 220MTS.
    Last edited by Oscar; 10-10-2019 at 09:18 AM.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalman21 View Post
    I recall that thread about 300A on 1phase, thanks for clearing that up. I have 3phase but the 350A would be plenty.
    If you have 3 phase supplied by the utility company, your power bill will be lower due to drawing off 3 legs of power instead of 2. And you get the extra grunt to boot.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not for this one, it's based off of the Stel 453 AC/DC, a pretty stout looking machine if you ask me. It really was just my mis-reading of the spec sheet.

That isn't the 400A TIG that I was referencing, Lugweld was referencing a spec off of a 200A-class MIG, the ProPulse 220MTS.
    Still it makes you wonder.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Still it makes you wonder.
    No, it actually doesn't make me wonder. It might make you wonder, or perhaps you are trying to cast/instill doubt with the "what if's" just like in the other threads that support HTP, but we're used to it by now since they are your competitor.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

No, it actually doesn't make me wonder. It might make you wonder, or perhaps you are trying to cast/instill doubt with the "what if's" just like in the other threads that support HTP, but we're used to it by now since they are your competitor.
    Exactly. He is a paid shill from the emerald city, "don't mind that man behind the curtain".
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    If you have 3 phase supplied by the utility company, your power bill will be lower due to drawing off 3 legs of power instead of 2. And you get the extra grunt to boot.
    Very good point. I would use the 3phase if possible. The better inverters it appears can run on either 1 or 3 phase. I just wouldn't want to be stuck with a 3 phase only welder.
    Last edited by metalman21; 10-10-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think my residential area can get 3-phase, but I'd have to check. Not something I would want to invest in to be honest, for other reasons. For me, the phase converter would work out just fine, especially since I wouldn't even need the 350A to begin with, let alone 400A, LOL.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

It often is impractical to bring in 3 phase even if it is on the street. It would be a complete new electric service in addition to what you already have.
    Where I have a shop not all the spaces have 3 phase. I'm lucky there used to be a machine shop in my shop and they set up the 3-phase service.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

It often is impractical to bring in 3 phase even if it is on the street. It would be a complete new electric service in addition to what you already have.
    My thoughts exactly.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

We have 3 phase all over work... but definitely not a small shop. Aircraft uses lots of power.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. He is a paid shill from the emerald city, "don't mind that man behind the curtain".
    I know there's some humor here, but I'll offer a different perspective. No product gets sold unless there's selling involved. It may be marketing, it may be a paid salesperson, it may be an engineer, a CEO, or an unpaid person/customer who likes a product and hopes others will buy it and enjoy the benefits. There's nothing wrong with any of it. HTP has paid and unpaid salespeople, and so does Everlast and everyone else. All that really matters in my book, is that there's an honest representation. If someone isn't wise enough to see through deception where it exists, that is unfortunate, but it's a reality.

There's no swindling going on, here, so there's no shill. Again, I know there's some good-natured fun and ribbing going on, but I for one think lugweld is helpful and pretty respectful. He's providing a 'service' just like the rest of the people on this forum. He and others are paid, and the rest are not. We're still getting information to process.

Now...back to the subject at hand: I was busting on Oscar re: the 400 amps being inadequate, because he was boasting about buying one. Sharp minds saw through my attempt at deception. Of course I don't need 400 amps...although I can't say it wouldn't be fun to light it up.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be developing a piece of land and when I get the stub with single-phase, I might get 3-phase at the same time. A friend who works for the local electric company said there's 3-phase on that road, and if I do them both at the same time, there won't be any additional cost, or not much beyond the wire (if that) and poles. But I think the electric company wants you to be buying a fair number of kWh in 3-phase for them to do it, and I'm not sure I'd use enough even if I got a 3-phase welder and lathe and converted over my WW machines...

I've heard 3-phase stick welders have a really nice smooth arc, and my 3-phase engine drive definitely has that...sweetest stick arc I've ever used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    I will be developing a piece of land and when I get the stub with single-phase, I might get 3-phase at the same time. A friend who works for the local electric company said there's 3-phase on that road, and if I do them both at the same time, there won't be any additional cost, or not much beyond the wire (if that) and poles. But I think the electric company wants you to be buying a fair number of kWh in 3-phase for them to do it, and I'm not sure I'd use enough even if I got a 3-phase welder and lathe and converted over my WW machines...

I've heard 3-phase stick welders have a really nice smooth arc, and my 3-phase engine drive definitely has that...sweetest stick arc I've ever used.
    My comment was regarding bringing the 3 phase into somewhere with an existing service (residential?).
    If you have to have the service done anyway why not make it 3 phase. I know one friend who built a new shop and I think it was only about $1000.00 more to make it 3 phase. He didn't really need it but knew it would add value to his building. The cost obviously varies, his was a short wire run, close to the street and the 3 phase was already on the street.
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

There is 3 phase on the pole nearest my shop. My tig welder will run it.. but it is cost prohibitive for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

Heck yea!

Getting some quotes on a phase converter.
    Last edited by Oscar; 10-18-2019 at 08:59 AM.

HTP Invertig 400
    HTP Invertig 221
    HTP ProPulse 300
    HTP ProPulse 200 x2
    HTP ProPulse 220MTS
    HTP Inverarc 200TLP
    HTP Microcut 875SC

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211