+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What part is this on a 22re intake?

Post Thanks / Like

What part is this on a 22re intake?

2 auto part stores didn’t really no what it wasName:  9182E495-1CA8-477D-A153-C9CBD1EFDED7.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  102.2 KBName:  32D41CEE-14FB-4C93-ADE2-01884D04C7C6.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  101.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What part is this on a 22re intake?

Appears to be the throttle body quadrant. If you're referring to the thing with rubber bellows on it, it's the idle control dashpot.
    Mike
    Last edited by mla2ofus; 09-30-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Well I’ll call tomorrow and tell them I need a new dashpod. My idle is high right now. 12-2000 rpm. Makes it very hard to shift with out clutch since the rpm won’t come down. Sometimes won’t go go in 2nd or takes forever. Higher gears aren’t bad

Post Thanks / Like

Remove the dashpot first to see if it is the problem. If you keep shifting without the clutch eventually you'll be grinding gears with or without the clutch when the synchonizers wear out.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

What will happen if I remove the dashpod? And I bought it with 236k and it has over 305k and shifts great. My knee can’t handle using the clutch

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by motolife313 View Post
    What will happen if I remove the dashpod? And I bought it with 236k and it has over 305k and shifts great. My knee can’t handle using the clutch
    You'll find out if the dashpot is causing the high idle. If it still has high idle then there might be something on the other end of the throttle shaft causing it. As for the synchros, it's your cow so milk her however you want.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I took it off and the rpm seems to drop faster then normal. But I can live with it. I may get a new part tomorrow since it seems to let the rpm float and dwell for a sec when reving. Thanks mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Surprising that a parts store wouldn't recognize a dashpot, they've been around for many, many years, their sole purpose is to dampen the closing of the throttle plates.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Ya I think I stick a new one on so it dampens it. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

motolife313

If you don't know what it does - you can't know what it is called - or vice
    versa . . .

2 auto part stores didn’t really no what it was
    Auto Part Clerks are not mechanics - when you ask them, 'for mechanical
    remedies'
    - you are automatically put on the 'back burner' of customer
    service . . .

I know: because I am an informed buyer - standing - next-in-line suffering
    from your inept diatribe . . . finally, you leave - to gather more data . . .

The Clerk vents . . . and I hear how much he loves you . . .

They sell product - not information - if you have not developed a reciprocal
    informational relationship - with '3/6 practicing mechanic' [for a 6-Pac] you
    will never be a foundational welder . . .

hth

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

A "GOOD" parts man will know his/her stuff, unfortunately most of the chainstores hire minimum wage people that don't give a rat's azz, they have no incentive to give a crap. I have gotten to the point that I try to order everything from Rockauto or Amazon, & that sux because our local NAPA jobber is a good friend of mine and hires parts monkeys that don't know sh1t.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

motolife313

CAVEMANN - Is correct . . .

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    A "GOOD" parts man will know his/her stuff, unfortunately most of the . . .
    In the - Oldie Golden Days of Detroit Iron - Auto Clerk were often
    senior/retiring mechanics - and they knew everything . . .

This is not the case today - you have to 'go/be' infromed . . .

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

Well I’ll call tomorrow and tell them I need a new dashpod. My idle is high right now. 12-2000 rpm. Makes it very hard to shift with out clutch since the rpm won’t come down. Sometimes won’t go go in 2nd or takes forever. Higher gears aren’t bad
    here ya go moto..
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...70111988468967

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks hobbytime. One guy did call it a fast idle but couldn’t find it in the computer. I ordered one from the Toyota dealer yesterday. Doesn’t seem to rev as high and good without the dash pod either. I keep reving it a touch short without it in. And it’s almost hard to keep up with putting it in gear. I like the dwell time of the dashpod

Post Thanks / Like

dashpot, not dashpod. A dash pod is a vacuum pod in the HVAC system of certain vehicles, located behind the dash hence the name.
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks hobbytime. One guy did call it a fast idle but couldn’t find it in the computer. I ordered one from the Toyota dealer yesterday. Doesn’t seem to rev as high and good without the dash pod either. I keep reving it a touch short without it in. And it’s almost hard to keep up with putting it in gear. I like the dwell time of the dashpod
    The computer IS the PROBLEM in the modern parts store. I have worked for NAPA on 2 different occasions, long before computers, as a parts counter person you must know how to use that 6 or 7 foot conglomeration of books to serve your customers, today the average guy doesn't even know how to open a book, let alone a parts catalog. These remarks are based on my experience in numerous parts stores in the Phoenix area. In fairness I did find one gal working at an Autozone that new her stuff, and another guy at an Autozone in Deming, New Mexico, he was an oldtimer.
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    The computer IS the PROBLEM in the modern parts store. I have worked for NAPA on 2 different occasions, long before computers, as a parts counter person you must know how to use that 6 or 7 foot conglomeration of books to serve your customers, today the average guy doesn't even know how to open a book, let alone a parts catalog. These remarks are based on my experience in numerous parts stores in the Phoenix area. In fairness I did find one gal working at an Autozone that new her stuff, and another guy at an Autozone in Deming, New Mexico, he was an oldtimer.
    Ill add to that..with google and all the other search engines out there, most people have LOST there deductive reasoning and ability to solve problems..if they cant get a quick answer from online or watch a you tube video on how to they are lost..now in the hands of the right person these added resources can be a great enhancement , but you need the basics first...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hobbytime View Post
    ill add to that..with google and all the other search engines out there, most people have lost there deductive reasoning and ability to solve problems..if they cant get a quick answer from online or watch a you tube video on how to they are lost..now in the hands of the right person these added resources can be a great enhancement , but you need the basics first...
    exactly!
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

What's always humorous to me is when a business loses power and salespeople have to make change with their brain instead of the cash register telling them how.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    What's always humorous to me is when a business loses power and salespeople have to make change with their brain instead of the cash register telling them how.
    Mike
    or giving extra change to get all paper money back, or adding a few dollars to get a 5 back instead of singles..they stare into space till its explained to them..

Post Thanks / Like

What part is this on a 22re intake?

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    Mike
    Na they just can't sell anything. Like the Nationwide Target register failure recently.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

When you want Toyota info go to Toyota forums (there are many) and don't forget your local dealer can pull up exploded views of older parts even if they no longer stock them.

Get good at research and you can buy most of your parts online saving gobs of money. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick question, have you reconnected the breather hose to the throttle body (circled in yellow) and messed with the idle screw adjustment (circled in red) at all?
    The idle screw looks backed WAY out which would raise your idle, and if there are any vacuum leaks you'll get a raised and erratic idle. Also, what RPM is your idle running at cold start, and what's it at up to temp?
    Name:  9182E495-1CA8-477D-A153-C9CBD1EFDED7.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  187.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Cold start it high. About 2000 rpm when in the 30’s outside. I’d like to see it at 1500 rpm. And I just let that breather chill out there. There another breather I think that goes in the intake. I’ll try and adjust the screw for a lower cold start. My rpm is at 1000 when warm. Still got the dashpod off and it’s working fine now. My rpm was up for a week or more and it through me off when it went back to normal. Just took a few days to get my muscle memory back to rev it right. It’s wanting to run really cold lately when I’m the freeway and the temp is dropping way down and it raises the rpm I’ll try a new thermostat soon. This happened after putting in antifreeze couple days ago. And the same time I think the antifreeze messed up my head gasket somehow. Bad head gasket? No water the the oil I don’t think. I got some stuff in front of the radiator to help it run hotter on the freeway. Name:  CA54FC2D-8E81-4794-BAC4-2AC296F0ACA4.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  92.6 KBits got over 308 k on it. I’ll do the head gasket real quick if it’s bad and have my friend mill the head. Also I’ll touch up the valve job. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

..... trying to resist over here..
    LoL!

WTF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist