Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dry cut saws recommendations

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dry cut saws recommendations

I stumbled on this thread as I was looking to purchase a dry cut saw. After reading it, i have ordered the Makita LC1230. We will see how it goes.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kize View Post
    I stumbled on this thread as I was looking to purchase a dry cut saw. After reading it, i have ordered the Makita LC1230. We will see how it goes.
    I have the Makita LC1230. Good saw. Support your work well, preferably on both sides of the blade if you can. It doesn't like thick metal at all, remember that you could ruin a $60 blade in seconds, so take it easy when cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by precivilization View Post
    I have the Makita LC1230. Good saw. Support your work well, preferably on both sides of the blade if you can. It doesn't like thick metal at all, remember that you could ruin a $60 blade in seconds, so take it easy when cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good to hear. I have a band saw for the thick stuff. And Ive been using an abrasive saw for the thin stuff- Just don't like the huge mess and uneven cuts it creates.

Post Thanks / Like

Love my Fein/Slugger 14”. Haven’t touched the abrasive chop saw since I got it and I’m using it a lot more than the Wells bandsaw but happy to have both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kize View Post
    Good to hear. I have a band saw for the thick stuff. And Ive been using an abrasive saw for the thin stuff- Just don't like the huge mess and uneven cuts it creates.
    You might try a diamond blade on the chop saw as they are stiffer than a friction blade, don't get dull, retain full cut diameter, and don't turn into dust or explode either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gundog77 View Post
    You might try a diamond blade on the chop saw as they are stiffer than a friction blade, don't get dull, retain full cut diameter, and don't turn into dust or explode either.
    Actually they do get dull... but you're right about not losing(very much) diameter which is the one reason I like them for trench work... well that and they are pretty tough when you drop the grinder

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever make their own base out of thick steel to mount their abrasive/dry cut saw in order to not use the stamped steel flimsy base?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

We have one at work...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Anyone ever make their own base out of thick steel to mount their abrasive/dry cut saw in order to not use the stamped steel flimsy base?
    It may help some but most saws with a flimsy base have a flimsy fence and vise as well. I looked at DeWalt, evolution , Morse and Makita when I bought mine. Evo and DeWalt were out right away due to the flimsy base. Morse was better but Makita was the sturdiest and easiest to adjust of the bunch.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea the vice and fence would also likely have to be built-up, but hey that's what fabricating is all about. Just like hot-rodding a car.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea the vice and fence would also likely have to be built-up, but hey that's what fabricating is all about. Just like hot-rodding a car.
    Personally I would sell it and get something that's better built. Next will be the motor.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey that is a pretty neat stand do you have more photos or a build thread ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Personally I would sell it and get something that's better built. Next will be the motor.
    ^^^ yep junk is junk, after 35+ years of re inventing the wheel I would have to say your dollars ahead buying quality in the first place, buy what you can afford to do the job at task, not knocking bad tools but some of the "modify a garbage tool" cost more in the long run, a craftsman or gearwrench will never be a snapon, but they all have their place

Post Thanks / Like

I got my Fein Slugger last week and made a few test cuts. Pretty impressive. The base and vise are solid and the cuts are VERY smooth. I'd say 1/4" steel cut about as easily as a piece of 1" oak in a standard miter saw. Just a bit of resistance, but not much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    That logic says hot-rodding isn't worth it and just sell the car to buy a faster car pre-made. What's the fun in that? Remember, I'm not a professional. I make very little fab'ing/repairing stuff compared to my day job. about 4%. Sometimes it's just "something" to do.

Post Thanks / Like

That logic says hot-rodding isn't worth it and just sell the car to buy a faster car pre-made. What's the fun in that? Remember, I'm not a professional. I make very little fab'ing/repairing stuff compared to my day job. about 4%. Sometimes it's just "something" to do.
    The " logic" is that it is a tool to do a job. Why beat a dead horse when there are better built options for not much more money. I have had some evolution brand tools and IMO, they ain't much. Pretty much comes down to what a person will or wont accept. Flexing on the base and vise is unacceptable to me when it comes to cutting with that type of blade. Flex equals a lot of $$$ when you trash a 100 $, give or take, blade.

Post Thanks / Like

My evo380 was delivered Friday, I have yet to use it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    Buy a piece of 12" channel iron and cut the blade hole in it with a zip wheel.
    I like that idea!
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tackit View Post
    How's it going Lis 2323, have you been using your extended reach grinder? Happy New Year and good health and prosperity to you and the family.

There’s rarely a welding project that I don’t grab that grinder! I love it.

And best wishes for the New Year to you also.!!
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a Trajan Q1400 saw that I've been please with. I've cut up to 3/8" plate steel but I learned you want to keep the pieces clamped vertical (I) versus horizontal (___) to save blade life. If I can't cut the piece vertically I use my Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the FEIN/Jancy Slugger. The blade that came with it was ok. Moved on to the Diablo Steel Demon blade. Holding up pretty good. Once a blade dulls you need to change and get it resharpened. Cleaner than an abrasive saw but there are other trade offs. One being cutting a lot of square/rectangle tubing at an angle you cut on the flat often and dull the blade quicker.

I’ve been thinking of trying a diamond blade.
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211
    Lincoln X-Tractor 1GC
    Hypertherm Powermax 1000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeldCrazyDude View Post
    I've got a Trajan Q1400 saw that I've been please with. I've cut up to 3/8" plate steel but I learned you want to keep the pieces clamped vertical (I) versus horizontal (___) to save blade life. If I can't cut the piece vertically I use my Milwaukee metal cutting circular saw.
    I looked at that one myself. I'm still on the fence what I want to do for my shop - it's only a hobby for me.

< rant >Regardless of the quality of the review, ChuckE2009 is a ****ing ******* and I will NEVER watch anything he has ever posted, EVER, again. Once he went on his white supremacist, islamophobic tirade, calling non-whites ratlets, rapists, invaders and what-not, he lost ALL credibility with me. Too many screws loose.< /rant >
    ----
    Hobart Handler 175 MIG
    Primeweld 225X TIG
    https://www.mylilmule.us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterBug View Post
    < rant >Regardless of the quality of the review, ChuckE2009 is a ****ing ******* and I will NEVER watch anything he has ever posted, EVER, again. Once he went on his white supremacist, islamophobic tirade, calling non-whites ratlets, rapists, invaders and what-not, he lost ALL credibility with me. Too many screws loose.< /rant >
    Please try to keep the thread at least somewhat on topic. Feel free to start a thread in the "Off Topic" sub-forum for this sort of thing.

Post Thanks / Like

The End.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist