+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camber Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Camber Problems

I'm in the middle of hauling hay to offset a neighbor's crookery. (And my stupidity, and naivete)

Of 40 bales bought, these are total garbage, and have been dumped over the fence to keep them separate from where good hay is stored. There's 20 in this mess of garbage.

Name:  bent axle4.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  143.3 KB

Mostly this trash inside the bales.

Name:  bent axle5.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  214.5 KB

Name:  bent axle7.JPG
Views: 878
Size:  214.2 KB

What few are edible, are crap.

Name:  bent axle8.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  212.0 KB

Guy tells another neighbor I talk with occasionally, that he's got 40 bales of "last years hay". Just wants to get rid of them cause he doesn't need them. Says his cows eat it.

Sight unseen, I waltz across the highway, and pay the dood.

Load the sh*t on the weekend WITHOUT CHECKING THE BALES, and drag them home.

I didn't notice they were 100% baled weeds till I fed one It's not the money (they were cheap), it's the fact that someone would lie without a trace of shame.

I'll eat the money spent, but I have a disposal problem.

Decided, after a talk with K'kins, that I'm not gonna confront the guy. Chances are...……….I'd wind up going to jail. I can have a bad temper.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Camber Problems

So...…………………..purchased another 80 bales from 2 locations.

Brought in a coupla small loads from one location on the little flatbed trailer. My bale trailer was without a tire. ANOTHER RIP OFF DEAL HAVING TO DO WITH TREAD SEPARATION. (New tire now, but trailer was sitting in mud when I hauled the last load on the little trailer)

Anyways...…………..one of two things happened

The guy has a cattle guard on TOP of a terrace. F'n stupid to have it on a steep short hill. And ya gotta drive over it when going into his place. Ok for the truck, that only has 2 axles, but not so ok for the trailer with tandem axles. The hill is so steep that the trailer rides on the back axle coming off the hill. The front axle has no weight on it due to the equalizer running out of travel. So, when loaded and leaving, the entire weight of the loaded trailer is suspended on either front, or rear, tandem.

The second thing that might have happened...………………………………

I ask where the road goes as it makes its way East from his place. Might save some miles heading East, instead of backtracking thru the town nearby. He tells me it comes out by a highway I'm familiar with. Cool!!!!! And, it's paved the entire way. DOUBLE COOL!!

Guy cautions me that the road can "throw" ya in the ditch if you go too fast. I'm ok with that, just gotta go a bit slower I guess.

So I take off.

For about 6-7 miles, the road is a bit rough, but not bad. Bit curvy, and not sloped right in the curves. That ain't bad either.

I'm running about 60mph on the flat, and going up to about 70mph on the hills in order to make it over them without losing speed.

I'm thinking the road isn't as bad as he said.

I TOP THIS HILL, AND THE DOWNHILL SIDE HAS RUTS IN THE ASPHALT. NOT POTHOLES, JUST DEEP RUTS FROM HEAVY TRAFFIC OR SETTLING OF THE ASPHALT.

I hit the ruts at about 65mph. AND THE TRUCK FEELS LIKE IT'S GONE AIRBORNE. THEN IT LITERALLY CRASHES BACK DOWN. YOU CAN HEAR THE OVERLOADS SLAPPING THE SPRING PERCHES WHEN IT GOES DOWN. AND IT DOES THIS FOR ABOUT 1/4 MILE TILL I CAN SAFELY SLOW IT DOWN. HOW MANY TIMES IT DID THE ROLLER COASTER RIDE, I CAN'T SAY...……….BUT IT WAS REPEATEDLY. The ruts aren't only deep, but they also have undulating bottoms. And, at 65mph, you don't try to steer out of deep ruts.

All the sh*t that was on the dashboard is on the floor, along with all the stuff that was on the seat.

I take a look at the whole rig when I finally get to a stop. Everything looks ok, except for the rear trailer axle. Looks a bit flat. No camber.

Runs fine all the way home, no problems.

Get home, and get the camera out.

Name:  bent axle1.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  178.7 KB Trailer isn't loaded that heavy...……..only 3 5x6 bales...…..maybe 3600#.

Name:  bent axle2.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  192.4 KB Big Boy bales, but not exceptionally tight.

But...…………...here's the problem

Name:  bent axle3.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  159.2 KB No camber on the axle. It's loaded at the time the pic was taken. It should still have positive camber, even when loaded. The front axle still had normal camber under the load.

The camber returned somewhat when unloaded, but not to where I feel it ought to be. Only way to check is to pull it in to have the camber checked against the other axle. Might be a new axle in my future

Post Thanks / Like

God only knows what the G forces were, when it hit the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd drop em right in his driveway. No refund necessary.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of scoundrels in the hay business down here, it took me a long time but luckily I now have a few guys that are on the level that I buy from.

CR

Post Thanks / Like

When I discussed it with K'kins,, the upshot of the whole deal was my failure to actually examine the hay. Should have known better.

Old hay generally looks like crap on the outside...….it's weathered. On year old hay, it's pretty standard practice to dig around a bit to see what condition the innards of the bale are in. I didn't do so. Had I even put my hand inside the bale, I would have been cut pretty badly...………..the thorns are that bad. Small micro thorns on the stalks.

We won't feed it, period.

We isolated about 18-20 bales that have some decent GRASS in them, and are feeding them. The pile in pic #3 is what's left after they pick thru the "good" bales. If there's a reasonable amount of good stuff in there, they seem to have the knack to pick around the crap. I've always seen this, and it amazes me. Dogs are the same I put out some fancy schmancy canned food for the pup that has veggies in it...…….and every pea and carrot is always left in the bowl...….dunno how he does it, but it's amazing

Post Thanks / Like

why dont you buy wrapped bales? they hold up well and usually no one spends the money to wrap crap....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    why dont you buy wrapped bales? they hold up well and usually no one spends the money to wrap crap....
    I think the wrapped bales you see are "haylage'. Essentially silage wrapped in individual "containers" instead of being put in a pile in a silage pit, or silo.

True "Hay" is a dried grass, which is then twine/net wrapped for storage. Silage is just green chop.....plain ol' vegetation put in storage while not yet dried.

I've never seen much haylage around this part of Oklahoma, but I imagine it's pretty pricey.

Here's a good coupla articles that explain haylage…………….

https://www.farmingmagazine.com/live...ping-up-bales/

https://www.progressiveforage.com/fo...g-with-wet-hay

I've occasionally put up Sorghum/Sudan when it's too wet (after being down for EIGHT days) , and it will ferment in the bale, and get very hot. Oxygen is getting to it I guess. BUT THE GURLZ LUV IT Even cows deserve a Beer Nite once in a while

Post Thanks / Like

I know where I would dispose of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I think the wrapped bales you see are "haylage'. Essentially silage wrapped in individual "containers" instead of being put in a pile in a silage pit, or silo.

True "Hay" is a dried grass, which is then twine/net wrapped for storage. Silage is just green chop.....plain ol' vegetation put in storage while not yet dried.

I've never seen much haylage around this part of Oklahoma, but I imagine it's pretty pricey.

Here's a good coupla articles that explain haylage…………….

https://www.farmingmagazine.com/live...ping-up-bales/

https://www.progressiveforage.com/fo...g-with-wet-hay

I've occasionally put up Sorghum/Sudan when it's too wet (after being down for EIGHT days) , and it will ferment in the bale, and get very hot. Oxygen is getting to it I guess. BUT THE GURLZ LUV IT Even cows deserve a Beer Nite once in a while
    maybe in your area, but in the northeast wrapped bales ARE grass(hay), they just ferment in the wrap..my buddy feeds his beefers wrapped hay from his field, and all wrapped round bales are grass( hay)...silage is run through choppers and either bagged in loooong rows or put into the silo...I think my buddy only pays a few bucks to get the round bales wrapped, essentially they are dry hay just wrapped for protection and the added plus of fermenting...but they are not chopped greens...I guess each region does its own thing...
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 10-24-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    maybe in your area, but in the northeast wrapped bales ARE grass(hay), they just ferment in the wrap..my buddy feeds his beefers wrapped hay from his field, and all wrapped round bales are grass( hay)...silage is run through choppers and either bagged in loooong rows or put into the silo...I think my buddy only pays a few bucks to get the round bales wrapped, essentially they are dry hay just wrapped for protection and the added plus of fermenting...but they are not chopped greens...I guess each region does its own thing...
    Does he let the cut grass dry down before baling, or does he bale it directly after cutting? Can't imagine dried grass fermenting. We always let it dry to about 10%, or less, moisture, then bale it. Takes about a day if it's cut with a disc mower, and about 2 days if left in windrows from a swather.

Post Thanks / Like

Haylage is let to dry somewhat before it's chopped. Those wrapped bales would need to be fairly dry when baled or they would start on fire from the pressure of the bale.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Does he let the cut grass dry down before baling, or does he bale it directly after cutting? Can't imagine dried grass fermenting. We always let it dry to about 10%, or less, moisture, then bale it. Takes about a day if it's cut with a disc mower, and about 2 days if left in windrows from a swather.
    the hay is dried on the field, just like square bales,then round baled, then wrapped to keep all the hay in good condition so the rain and snow doesnt rot them and keeps the critters away....true silage is green hay cut and chopped , no drying at all, then placed in a silo or silo bags or food bunkers. it doesnt spontaneous combust because the lack of oxygen or air...unlike wet hay in a ventilated barn...I have seen square bales that the hay was too wet to be baled, but some dont head to caution, have the centers burned out from a smoldering fire, they didnt burst into flames as they were packed tight in the barn, my buddy was lucky with that, and he now cuts his own hay....
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 10-24-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Haylage is let to dry somewhat before it's chopped. Those wrapped bales would need to be fairly dry when baled or they would start on fire from the pressure of the bale.
    wrapped bales wont catch fire, there is no air or oxygen to allow combustion..and the silage is not dried either, just packed tight in a bunker or silo with no air for combustion..

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't those wrapped bales open on the ends? Yes you would need oxygen for the bales to combust from the heating process. Most hay here is either dry bales or haylage blown into bags, some silos but silos mostly for high moisture corn.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Samm, if you tacked a spring saddle to the bottom center of the axle and ran a small chain from spring to spring, you can use a bottle jack sitting on the chain and pushing against the saddle to reset the camber.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Aren't those wrapped bales open on the ends? Yes you would need oxygen for the bales to combust from the heating process. Most hay here is either dry bales or haylage blown into bags, some silos but silos mostly for high moisture corn.
    no they are wrapped completely around, they look like giant marshmallows, all sides are sealed..
    Name:  marshmallow-fields-large-round-bales-260nw-57272989.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  33.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

this is a silage tube...the green chopped hay goes in it and its sealed till fermented and when opened up all the heat from fermentation is already gone so it wont burst into flames..to the right are open wrapped round bales, they will rot in the weather..
    Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  98.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the middle of hauling hay to offset a neighbor's crookery. (And my stupidity, and naivete)

Of 40 bales bought, these are total garbage, and have been dumped over the fence to keep them separate from where good hay is stored. There's 20 in this mess of garbage.

Name:  bent axle4.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  143.3 KB

Mostly this trash inside the bales.

Name:  bent axle5.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  214.5 KB

Name:  bent axle7.JPG
Views: 878
Size:  214.2 KB

What few are edible, are crap.

Name:  bent axle8.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  212.0 KB

Guy tells another neighbor I talk with occasionally, that he's got 40 bales of "last years hay". Just wants to get rid of them cause he doesn't need them. Says his cows eat it.

Sight unseen, I waltz across the highway, and pay the dood.

Load the sh*t on the weekend WITHOUT CHECKING THE BALES, and drag them home.

I didn't notice they were 100% baled weeds till I fed one It's not the money (they were cheap), it's the fact that someone would lie without a trace of shame.

I'll eat the money spent, but I have a disposal problem.

Decided, after a talk with K'kins, that I'm not gonna confront the guy. Chances are...……….I'd wind up going to jail. I can have a bad temper.
    samm; very smart move not confronting the seller aka crook. going over there and making the guy see the error of his ways would make a great keyboard warrior story but might not end well for the aggrieved party. over the years at DOC i ran into a couple guys who took exception to being flim flammed and wound up at the graybar hotel.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Sam,check with county and state to see if they want it for erosion control along new roads.

Post Thanks / Like

samm, you have probably seen those bales that are cut and baled along the highway rights of way....full of trash, Walmart bags, beer cans, cardboard, etc. I am amazed that crap makes it through the baler! Man, I don't know how they manage to scam folks into buying those.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen some real pretty rolls of hay that turned out to be full of bramble and junk after the cows ate into them a bit, some of these unscrupulous haymakers are pretty slick about hiding the junk in the middle.

CR

Post Thanks / Like

Sam, back to the axle question Our dump trailer has gone through a few rear axles.... mainly because certain people won't listen to me about not having the friggin truck hitch so high that when you load anything with a couple tons of weight in it the rear axle is pretty much always on the frame but anyways everytime I have noticed no camber on the rear compared to the wheel right in front of it I will usually find the weld just outside of the ubolt is starting to crack.... look closely right at the bottom of the tube you might even see a gap already

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Sam, back to the axle question Our dump trailer has gone through a few rear axles.... mainly because certain people won't listen to me about not having the friggin truck hitch so high that when you load anything with a couple tons of weight in it the rear axle is pretty much always on the frame but anyways everytime I have noticed no camber on the rear compared to the wheel right in front of it I will usually find the weld just outside of the ubolt is starting to crack.... look closely right at the bottom of the tube you might even see a gap already
    That correlates with my first theory. The one about the high peaked cattle guard. It forces the back axle to take all the weight as you drive over it.

I figure on replacing the axle. I believe a bare axle, no hubs, runs about $125ish...….which isn't so bad I guess. The trailer has been on the road almost 5yrs now, or maybe more. One axle in 5yrs isn't too bad, considering they're light duty axles that are getting loaded to capacity constantly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    It's nice when they skid flat spots on the tires of the front axle and try and tell ya there's something wrong with the trailer brakes.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist