+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Workshop from scratch

Post Thanks / Like

Workshop from scratch

I am moving into a new place that doesn't have a garage, so unfortunately I am going to have to design and build a small workshop for myself. I am asking for ideas.

Currently I am thinking of a shop the size of 2 car garage, with a 3rd room in back that is as wide as the 2-car garage.

The 2-car garage with be divided, separate rooms, each with a garage door:
    1. One side for wood and sawdust with a dust collection system
    2. The other side will be a metal and welding shop

I want to have a covered concrete slab in front of the garage doors so that I can open the garage doors and work outdoors, even in the rain.

The 3rd room in back will be a clean work space with heating and cooling , and a large sink. A toilet would be nice, but I won't be able to tie into the home's sewer system.

110/220 v outlets, of course. And lots of overhead lights.

The property has 200 amps, what circuit breakers should I have in the breaker box?

No windows, for security.

Any other ideas?
    Last edited by Harry Marinakis; 10-18-2019 at 07:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Workshop from scratch

What state are you in, Harry?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    What state are you in, Harry?
    West-by-God-Virginia
    Where couples can still remain brother and sister, even after they divorce each other

Post Thanks / Like

Burgalar bars over windows can add security so you can open windows for cross breeze and less noise pollution in the shop from loud exhaust fans etc.

What types of projects will you be working on or how big will they be. Any need for taller doors and ceiling?
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 10-18-2019 at 11:48 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Marinakis View Post
    West-by-God-Virginia
    Where couples can still remain brother and sister, even after they divorce each other
    LOL!!!!! Nice

Maybe some high windows so peeps can't just browse what you have in there. Skylights are nice for daylight also... and by the sounds of it you'll have everything you need to be comfy so a fridge would be cool.

Post Thanks / Like

You've got a great start. Make it as big as you can afford, and then a bit more. I don't know that you need to fully wall off both front stalls, but it isn't crazy. Sometimes it is nice to have the open space. I put a bench in between my 2 garage doors. very handy - you would have a wall there. All depends what you want and need.

Insulate below the slab and put thick poly down to reduce moisture migration. I recommend radiant heat tubing in the floor. Can't put it in later and you never have to connect it if you don't want and all for only a couple hundred $
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

7. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Burgalar bars over windows can add security so you can open windows for cross breeze and less noise pollution in the shop from loud exhaust fans etc.

What types of projects will you be working on or how big will they be. Any need for taller doors and ceiling?
    I 'd rather have no windows than a place that looks like a prison. Pillbillys around here are always looking to steal something that can be quickly turned into cash, so they can buy more oxy pills. They'll steal your change jar but leave the $100 camera sitting on the counter.

All of my work is small stuff. Given that I'll have garage doors, I think that regular doors everywhere else will be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Make your doors wider than normal.
    Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP

Post Thanks / Like

Harry, I did something like what you are describing. I prepped the slab in the machine shop side so it would be 7" thick where a 2-post hoist was installed. It has paid for itself many times. Consider you need 12'-1" ceiling height. I don't have covered area in front, but a shed roof on each side.

My welders are near the garage entry and and I only installed one 220v 50 amp welder circuit so need to switch plugs between machines. Not the end of the world, but would be nice to have at least one more outlet. Another mistake was only running 10ga. wire to where the compressor is located which limits me to less than a true 5hp motor. two other other 220v 20 amp circuits cover lathe and milling machine. I ran several 220v. circuits in the wood shop but still end up sharing a plug in with a band saw and wide belt sander.

A floor drain was installed so the parking area immediately inside the OHD drains to the center and not to the corners or up against the door. Probably not a concern in your location but much appreciated where snow and ice is the norm. Enjoy the journey.

Post Thanks / Like

Harry, if your new shop will be a steel building with regular roof, not rounded, sky lights make a real savings on electricity during daylight. Also as stated above, pouring a 7 to 8 inch floor on one side for a lift down the road will pay dividends later. Just some thoughts. Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Great ideas everyone. I am writing all of this down.

Post Thanks / Like

Update

Well, the pandemic really quashed construction progress, but my custom-built shop is about 95% complete after about 18 months of slow construction.
    The pandemic also drove up construction, labor, and material costs.
    1200 square feet
    Radiant floor heating
    Air conditioning
    Humidity controlled
    Three separate rooms
    200 A service
    About 25 electrical outlets, 20A, 30A, and 50A
    Lights on circuits separate from tools
    R19 insulated garage doors
    Heavy steel side door (it's a fortress)
    Covered outdoor work areas in front and along the side
    French drains all the way around
    I have yet to build the four 2' x 8' x 8' storage cabinets, and the sink area
    I'm installing the dust collection system now.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  189.0 KB

Two 15' x 25' rooms up front
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  107.4 KB

A 15' x 30' room in the back
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 409
Size:  92.1 KB

Lots of juice and outlets
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 403
Size:  46.8 KB

Night lights
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  90.1 KB
    Last edited by Harry Marinakis; 10-21-2021 at 07:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks a little different but is the prettiest shop I think I've ever seen.

Post Thanks / Like

That is pretty.

Post Thanks / Like

use plywood for walls and ceilings and then paint bright white. the plywood lets you hang stuff heavier than drywall can hold. install more outlets than you think you will ever need. grinding and metal shavings will rust on the concrete that gets rained on or wet. hang a curtain in-between stalls so you can open up area and make it 2 stall size if need be or collapsable panels.
    lincoln 125sp
    dayton 250 ac/dc
    miller 211 w/spool gun
    ahp 200 sx tig
    lotos ltp5000d
    kubota b3200 FEL BH
    of course duramax diesel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duramax-rob View Post
    use plywood for walls and ceilings and then paint bright white. the plywood lets you hang stuff heavier than drywall can hold. install more outlets than you think you will ever need. grinding and metal shavings will rust on the concrete that gets rained on or wet. hang a curtain in-between stalls so you can open up area and make it 2 stall size if need be or collapsable panels.
    You're a little late.... he's already got it built with interior metal laid sideways on the studs with the partition in between stalls. Scroll up....
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

That's a fine looking shop!
    I like that it's separated side by side, ie wood working side, steel working side.
    You may find that using French cleats on the walls make hanging stuff easy and modular.
    The horse is out of the barn but I always use out swinging doors.....can't kick those in!

19. Likes Roert42 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist