Thread: Tractor Supply Toolboxes

Post Thanks / Like

Tractor Supply Toolboxes

Awhile back I went on a rant about Tractor Supply Underbed Toolboxes.

This is the problemName:  Picture1020191019_1 (1).jpg
Views: 993
Size:  90.7 KBThe crappy little piano hinge being exposed on the bottom fills up with dirt and water, you can clean it out once a week with a wire brush and spray WD40 or somethin on it and it will still eventually rust fast.

Then this happensName:  Picture1020191017_1 (1).jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  103.3 KBThe hinge breaks away from the door when you open the door.

This is the fixName:  Picture1020191014_1 (1).jpg
Views: 991
Size:  61.2 KBName:  Picture1020191016_1 (1).jpg
Views: 997
Size:  59.7 KBName:  Picture1020191015_1 (1).jpg
Views: 991
Size:  57.9 KB

I know it aint pretty and I know its overkill, its made to stay put when its supposed to stay put, and made to open when its supposed to open, Im not the best fabricator, never claimed to be one. It will do the job even if it is made in the backyard and not in a factory. This is the way I built the toolboxes on my first rig, they never leaked they always opened up when I wanted them to and stayed shut when they were supposed to stay shut.

Most everything I got from these folks I been happy with but I wasn't happy with these at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tractor Supply Toolboxes

nice job POM. if it works and nobodies going to get killed by falling parts what more could you ask? i used those strap hinges for a bunch of things myself.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

A little primer and paint and it's 'top shelf'

Post Thanks / Like

I bought an f800 utility truck an an auction once and it had a bunch of those boxes and someone had done a real nice job of spraying the inside of them with bedliner but the first time we left it in the rain we found the lower boxes full of water and all our tools soaked. Anyway after closer inspection we found the bedliner was just covering up all the rust that was in the boxes and it was bad so we ended up punching a bunch of drain holes in the bottom and then cut some aluminum bar grating to fit in the bottom so at least the tools would be up in the air. From then on we were careful what tools we kept in the lower boxes and we kept that truck stored under cover.

CR

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    nice job POM. if it works and nobodies going to get killed by falling parts what more could you ask? i used those strap hinges for a bunch of things myself.
    There it is Doc...one of the neighbors stop by the other day, he is a bit of a smartass and likes to bust my balls when he gets the chance to. He aint a welder just a knucklehead who works at one of the warehouses on top the mountain off of 81, don't have the skill to tie his boots, so I don't pay him much attention. He asked if I was expecting to get hit by an RPG in the toolbox, I said no but it will probly survive if it does. One of the reasons I don't like workin at home so much anymore...too many folks with nose problems and it always turns into a bull**** session and no work gets done.

Sorry for the ramble there. But yeah, the idea behind most anything I do is make it as indestructible as possible, I have seen cheap stuff like these boxes fall apart in a few weeks, on the other hand Ive seen cheap stuff that surprisingly held up quite well for a long time, if I am the guy building it or repairing it I will make it so it stays together as planned, as long as the customer will give me time and resources to do it that way, and if its for me I will make it that way regardless.

When I got these boxes I was out at Tractor Supply and Mrs K was along. She knew I was looking for toolboxes when I was building this rig, and saw these and came over and got me. She showed me these boxes and asked if they would do, I looked em over a bit and said yup they will work...talked to the lady and she gave me a good deal on all 8 boxes since I bought em all at once and paid cash. I didn't take notice to the crappy hinge on the bottom at the time, that came to light after I had em mounted in the truck...yes in the truck...I didn't put em in to make it easy to take em back out, they are in there for the duration of the truck or my life whichever ends first, so I am rebuilding the doors my way.

Again I would like to say I have been happy with everything ive got from Tractor Supply but these boxes aint worth a runny ****. I will eventually have to do the ones on top of the truck as well maybe in another year or 2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    There it is Doc...one of the neighbors stop by the other day, he is a bit of a smartass and likes to bust my balls when he gets the chance to. He aint a welder just a knucklehead who works at one of the warehouses on top the mountain off of 81, don't have the skill to tie his boots, so I don't pay him much attention. He asked if I was expecting to get hit by an RPG in the toolbox, I said no but it will probly survive if it does. One of the reasons I don't like workin at home so much anymore...too many folks with nose problems and it always turns into a bull**** session and no work gets done.

Sorry for the ramble there. But yeah, the idea behind most anything I do is make it as indestructible as possible, I have seen cheap stuff like these boxes fall apart in a few weeks, on the other hand Ive seen cheap stuff that surprisingly held up quite well for a long time, if I am the guy building it or repairing it I will make it so it stays together as planned, as long as the customer will give me time and resources to do it that way, and if its for me I will make it that way regardless.

When I got these boxes I was out at Tractor Supply and Mrs K was along. She knew I was looking for toolboxes when I was building this rig, and saw these and came over and got me. She showed me these boxes and asked if they would do, I looked em over a bit and said yup they will work...talked to the lady and she gave me a good deal on all 8 boxes since I bought em all at once and paid cash. I didn't take notice to the crappy little piano hinge on the bottom at the time, that came to light after I had em mounted in the truck...yes in the truck...I didn't put em in to make it easy to take em back out, they are in there for the duration of the truck or my life whichever ends first, so I am rebuilding the doors my way.

Again I would like to say I have been happy with everything ive got from Tractor Supply but these boxes aint worth a runny ****. I will eventually have to do the ones on top of the truck as well maybe in another year or 2

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know how this appeared twice...sorry about that maybe the guy in charge can delete one of em I don't know how to do that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robson1015 View Post
    A little primer and paint and it's 'top shelf'
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    Looks great.
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrookedRoads View Post
    I bought an f800 utility truck an an auction once and it had a bunch of those boxes and someone had done a real nice job of spraying the inside of them with bedliner but the first time we left it in the rain we found the lower boxes full of water and all our tools soaked. Anyway after closer inspection we found the bedliner was just covering up all the rust that was in the boxes and it was bad so we ended up punching a bunch of drain holes in the bottom and then cut some aluminum bar grating to fit in the bottom so at least the tools would be up in the air. From then on we were careful what tools we kept in the lower boxes and we kept that truck stored under cover.
    Yup ive seen that trick done too, floor was that bad in one poor guys truck it the bottom fell out. Poor fella was runnin all over the street pickin up sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers and whatever else fell out. I helped him get the stuff back on his truck took a good hour to get it all, happened during rush hour between St Clair and Pottsville PA.

Post Thanks / Like

Any reason you didn't buy another piano hinge ?

That repair is fine. I don't think you had to weld continuously.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an alum box and the lock mechanism as well as the latch slider mechanism rusts up and you can get it open. The latch slider was chrome and you know what happens with that crap. Got an new lock for the exact same box on ebay. Had to grind the crap out of the retaining nut to get it to fit. Total junk. I just keep my chain and tools behind my seat. I use my box for my dump bed pump, small compressor, and now a second battery. Nice fix on those hinges Popeye.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post

I guess its just a personal preference, I like these hinges, not so much the looks but the durability, the same thing is on our barn doors from back in 1903 when the barn was built, funny thing, they replaced the doors in the 1940s but the old boy that grew up here said they kept the hinges, that's the story anyway, but those old hinges on the barn doors are rusty as all get out but they still work smooth. The door itself is 3/16 plate I really don't think a piano hinge unless its really heavy would have held them, and the luck Ive had with these piano hinges I really don't care if I never see another one.

Probably wouldn't have had to weld them solid , just thought it looked better that way.
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 10-21-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    I have an alum box and the lock mechanism as well as the latch slider mechanism rusts up and you can get it open. The latch slider was chrome and you know what happens with that crap. Got an new lock for the exact same box on ebay. Had to grind the crap out of the retaining nut to get it to fit. Total junk. I just keep my chain and tools behind my seat. I use my box for my dump bed pump, small compressor, and now a second battery. Nice fix on those hinges Popeye.

Thank you, one of the handles on these boxes im fixing has to either be replaced or I got to make somethin. I got to see if I can find one, if not I guess ill just get creative again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post

I guess its just a personal preference, I like these hinges, not so much the looks but the durability, the same thing is on our barn doors from back in 1903 when the barn was built, funny thing, they replaced the doors in the 1940s but the old boy that grew up here said they kept the hinges, that's the story anyway, but those old hinges on the barn doors are rusty as all get out but they still work smooth.

Probably wouldn't have had to weld them solid , just thought it looked better that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Function comes first. Looks like all will work well. Nice job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redlands Okie View Post
    Function comes first. Looks like all will work well. Nice job.
    Thank you, they worked great for the first rig I had, the boxes on the first rig were built from scratch and were part of the deck and the weld body, I had the barn door hinges like that, they may have been a bit smaller, I don't remember it was 25 maybe 30 years ago, but I remember making the home made latches and bending the bolts to pin them shut. That was a bit of a pain the butt, but they worked. I was gonna build them from scratch for this one but I don't have the patience for the fabrication anymore like I used to. Just doin these doors for these boxes is drivin me nuts, I work at it here at home for about 45 minutes or so then I gotts to get away from it for a bit. If it aint that I keep second guessing myself evry step of the way, no patience for this stuff anymore.

I told Joe it was gonna be a week or so before I get it all back together he told me take my time, he been tryin to get me to take a break anyway, I been goin 12 and 14 hours a day, 6 and 7 days a week for the past 4 or 5 months...so this is my time off...then in a few weeks im gonna take a few days and go deer huntin...then I can relax...I will most likely fall asleep in the bush like always and wake up and an old doe will be sniffing my boots or my old corncob pipe
    Last edited by Popeye an old miner; 10-21-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I forgot to mention, if what Im workin with is thinner than 1/4 inch, to me its sheet metal, im so used to workin with stuff 1 inch or more thick sometimes I gotta retrain myself. I never was crazy about sheet metal work.

Post Thanks / Like

Great fix. I probably would have just plug welded the bolt holes and called it good .. Seal it all with primer.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt