Thread: spool gun aluminum welding

Post Thanks / Like

spool gun aluminum welding

Hidy Ho good neighbors,,,,I've been tig welding aluminum and decided to use my millermatic 250 and 30A spool gun. My old welding friend uses some newer equipment and told me to WIND UP the gun and heat. Well, after shoving everything out the door from high feed speed, I began resetting parameters and got to welding. I am finding the spool gun wants to run around 2 1/4 to 2.5 to get good results. Looking at he backside of the 1/4 aluminum and seeing HAZ appearing, am I using correct settings? I am ancient and not familiar with camera usage on a computer.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: spool gun aluminum welding

The weld toes tell you quite a bit about aluminium weld soundness. If it's a nice tie-in to parent material, then the settings won't be far off. If you're getting penetration right through then that's up to you and what you're trying to acheive - wind it off a bit if it's too much.
    On 1/4" you should be able to run a spray setting around 24-25 volts, and it should hum/hiss with a bit of a crackle (the higher the wire speed, the more the crackle)

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum will spray at much lower voltage then steel. In the teens.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    The weld toes tell you quite a bit about aluminium weld soundness. If it's a nice tie-in to parent material, then the settings won't be far off. If you're getting penetration right through then that's up to you and what you're trying to acheive - wind it off a bit if it's too much.
    On 1/4" you should be able to run a spray setting around 24-25 volts, and it should hum/hiss with a bit of a crackle (the higher the wire speed, the more the crackle)
    those settings 24-25 Volts and 2 1/4 wire speed is where I'm at and happy on the 1/4 al. I think my question IS,,,will an older 30A gun operate different than his newer gun and different machine? He has told me that he is running a lot higher speed than I am and getting me confused about speed. I've tried to test my gun and I am coming up with some pretty fast wire speeds as I increase the adjustment on the gun...which I understand . I certainly appreciate the replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE.Dee View Post
    those settings 24-25 Volts and 2 1/4 wire speed is where I'm at and happy on the 1/4 al. I think my question IS,,,will an older 30A gun operate different than his newer gun and different machine? He has told me that he is running a lot higher speed than I am and getting me confused about speed. I've tried to test my gun and I am coming up with some pretty fast wire speeds as I increase the adjustment on the gun...which I understand . I certainly appreciate the replies.

With the powersource putting out the volts it says it is, and the feeder mechanical parts all being in good condition.... then it's much of a muchness as far as the actual weld goes. Wirespeed is wirespeed, regardless of the mechanism used to deliver it, as long as it's smooth and constant.

No idea about the speed increments on spoolguns, whether they mean anything or if they're just arbitrary numbers. He could well have a similar wirespeed to you, even if his numbers are higher. Alternatively he maybe likes running a lot more wire as his personal preference, along with a higher travel speed... if he makes good welds, then fair play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    With the powersource putting out the volts it says it is, and the feeder mechanical parts all being in good condition.... then it's much of a muchness as far as the actual weld goes. Wirespeed is wirespeed, regardless of the mechanism used to deliver it, as long as it's smooth and constant.

No idea about the speed increments on spoolguns, whether they mean anything or if they're just arbitrary numbers. He could well have a similar wirespeed to you, even if his numbers are higher. Alternatively he maybe likes running a lot more wire as his personal preference, along with a higher travel speed... if he makes good welds, then fair play.
    thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Aluminum will spray at much lower voltage then steel. In the teens.
    Since, I'm running settings like you, with good results, and I'd eat tips at 25v, something seems incorrect using "25volts"....Yes????
    ......4043.....19.2v......300speed for 1/4".
    Pete
    Everlast i210 with 200a spool gun
    Everlast i140e
    LOTOS LTP5000D Non-Touch Pilot Arc

"Things are never so bad that they can't get worse...."