+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Millermatic 35S Question

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Millermatic 35S Question

Fun Stuff !! I used to sell these back in the 80's. The original spring trigger gun was terrible on gas control but they came out with a solenoid kit later and then the black face units had the gas solenoid from the factory and better gun and things got better after that. Nice Unit !!
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
    Fun Stuff !! I used to sell these back in the 80's. The original spring trigger gun was terrible on gas control but they came out with a solenoid kit later and then the black face units had the gas solenoid from the factory and better gun and things got better after that. Nice Unit !!
    Yeah, it was a fun project. I'm not planning on keeping it, but I'm not in a big rush to sell it. If I break even, or make $50 I'll be happy and just glad it didn't go in the scrap pile.

Actually, Miller started adding an internal gas valve/solenoid before the black-face 200. In the linked thread a Miller tech says that Miller added the internal gas valve to the model 35 in 1980.
    Last edited by G-ManBart; 12-10-2019 at 09:15 PM.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks G-ManBart.
    I have a question for you. I have installed the same gun adapter kit (the Lincoln K3347-1) and I'm installing a Miller GA-20C gun on to it, but the gas keeps flowing out the back side of the adapter kit (inside of the welder). Are there different (optional), ends that you can screw in the back end of the GA-20C weld gun? I have a tapered end on it now that doesn't seem to seal off at the inside end of the adapter, so it seems as if all of the gas is escaping before it enters the sealed (gas) area on the gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MW-Weld View Post
    Thanks G-ManBart.
    I have a question for you. I have installed the same gun adapter kit (the Lincoln K3347-1) and I'm installing a Miller GA-20C gun on to it, but the gas keeps flowing out the back side of the adapter kit (inside of the welder). Are there different (optional), ends that you can screw in the back end of the GA-20C weld gun? I have a tapered end on it now that doesn't seem to seal off at the inside end of the adapter, so it seems as if all of the gas is escaping before it enters the sealed (gas) area on the gun.
    Can you post a picture of the back end of the GA-20C....the part that connects to the welder? I'm certainly not an expert, but I'm sure one of us can figure out what's going ont.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Small or large amount of gas? small amount is normal coming from the liner.
    any gas from around the outside of the power pin is a bad o-ring.
    You can use a little soapy water and see where the gas is coming from.
    If a lot is coming from the liner. pull the liner out of the gun. there should be about two feet or more of plastic covering the metal liner. This covering is to push the gas down the gun before allowing it to leak into the liner.
    I think the GA 20c gun is obsolete and the liner and most of the consumables are no longer available from Miller.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_0492.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  55.1 KBName:  IMG_0484.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  87.5 KBName:  IMG_0493.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  47.9 KBName:  IMG_0496.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  81.6 KBName:  IMG_0485.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  70.3 KB
    This is the gun that I have been trying to connect to the adapter. The adapter has a hole on the inside of the part (per the 3rd picture) and I think that is where the gas is coming out?? The back end of the gun is tapered and it is threaded, so it's removable. Maybe there are optional ends that I could get to put on to seal up the gun right on the very back end?? I'm not sure.
    I put duct tape over the sleeve on the inside of the adapter and plenty of gas comes out the front end (where the gun attaches to). I even stuck my little finger in the sleeve, (with the duct tape on the inside yet), and there seems to be plenty of gas coming out of the adapter. It's just coming out the back end near the tapered part of my gun. Maybe I need to get a whole new style gun??
    Thanks again everyone for your help with this problem.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a large amount of gas coming out the back end of the adapter, (in fact all of the gas seems to be coming out the back end, none out the gun tip at all). It seems as though the gas is not getting to the gum at all. Maybe your right, I may need a newer style gun?? If so, I want to make sure I buy the right one.
    Thanks again for your input.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the gun that I have been trying to connect to the adapter. The adapter has a hole on the inside of the part (per the 3rd picture) and I think that is where the gas is coming out?? The back end of the gun is tapered and it is threaded, so it's removable. Maybe there are optional ends that I could get to put on to seal up the gun right on the very back end?? I'm not sure.
    I put duct tape over the sleeve on the inside of the adapter and plenty of gas comes out the front end (where the gun attaches to). I even stuck my little finger in the sleeve, (with the duct tape on the inside yet), and there seems to be plenty of gas coming out of the adapter. It's just coming out the back end near the tapered part of my gun. Maybe I need to get a whole new style gun??
    Thanks again everyone for your help with this problem.
    I hate to say this, but the adapter is installed backwards. The gas port is supposed to be towards the front of the machine....sorry. If you look at the pics I posted you'll see the adapter has several sections that have been turned down with a couple of steps...that end needs to be towards the wire feed. The install was nicely done, so I'm sure you can fix it, but I know that was a lot of time involved...ouch!

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

two things first the o-rings on the power pin are damaged. you can see pieces are missing. they must be replaced. Next measure with a small steal ruler.
    from the center spot between the o-rings and the stop step on the power pin.
    them measure again from the front of the adapter to the center of the gas port.
    You also can remove the gas hose barb and look in the hole while pushing the gun in.
    you should see the o-ring go by and stop just past it. one o-ring on either side of the hole. The black insulator block might be to thick. the hole might need to be larger so the power pin will seat correctly. Plastic should almost torch the adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

You know what, I thought that right away when I first was assembling it onto may insulator plate, but I second guessed myself and put it on as assembled. I bought it on ebay and the box didn't have directions with it, so instead of relocating the gas hose on the opposite side, (like I needed to do), and putting the plastic coated plug on the back side, I just installed it as it was sent to me. I wished they had included specific directions for this part, I could have saved myself a lot of guessing & a lot of work! I will take it apart and switch it around on Monday, when I get back to my shop.

I'll bet all you seasoned veterans are snickering at this rookie mistake I made!, (although I'm already 65years old, I am a rookie at rebuilding one of these welders). I guess it is kinda funny, after thinking about it!! I kinda feel embarrassed that I didn't pay more attention to what end the hole was on, (on the inside, per the 3rd picture), that supplies the gas on this adapter. Thanks again for all of you help on this project. I'll let you know what happens after I flip it around the other way.
    I'll have-to rename my site: Wrong-way weld, (per the 1970's airplane pilot on Gilligan's Island!)
    Last edited by MW-Weld; 02-27-2021 at 04:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You know what, I thought that right away when I first was assembling it onto may insulator plate, but I second guessed myself and put it on as assembled. I bought it on ebay and the box didn't have directions with it, so instead of relocating the gas hose on the opposite side, (like I needed to do), and putting the plastic coated plug on the back side, I just installed it as it was sent to me. I wished they had included specific directions for this part, I could have saved myself a lot of guessing & a lot of work! I will take it apart and switch it around on Monday, when I get back to my shop.

I'll bet all you seasoned veterans are snickering at this rookie mistake I made!, (although I'm already 65years old, I am a rookie at rebuilding one of these welders). I guess it is kinda funny, after thinking about it!! I kinda feel embarrassed that I didn't pay more attention to what end the hole was on, (on the inside, per the 3rd picture), that supplies the gas on this adapter. Thanks again for all of you help on this project. I'll let you know what happens after I flip it around the other way.
    I'll have-to rename my site: Wrong-way weld, (per the 1970's airplane pilot on Gilligan's Island!)
    Don't feel bad....the first time I had one in my hands it took me a few minutes to realize it had to be installed the other way after swapping the gas connections, so it isn't just you!

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everybody for you ideas & help on this project. I pulled it out yesterday afternoon,cleaned it up nice and re-glued over night. I got it re-installed today after the epoxy set-up nice! It was surprising to me how easy it came out of my insulation plate yesterday! Maybe the JB Weld wasn't completely set-up yet??
    Name:  IMG_0501.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  62.8 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0499.jpg 
Views:	915 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	1725371
    It's amazing how nice these things weld, after you put them together the right way!!

13. Likes G-ManBart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I installed both new "O" rings after I flipped the adapter to the correct way. I had it backwards per G-ManBart's post.
    Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

I installed both new "O" rings after I flipped the adapter to the correct way. I had it backwards per G-ManBart's post.
    Thanks again!
    Glad you got it sorted out! That's a nice, clean installation and you're right...they weld beautifully!

Sooner or later I'm going to keep one of these older machines because they just have a beautiful arc and more than enough power to do 95% of all the work I need a MIG for.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I have recently came into ownership of a millermatic 35s and it has been sitting in a garage for roughly 30 years. I was able to plug it in and start her up and ran and I was able to get an arc going on the spot weld and eventually was able to get an arc going with the continuous as well with some messing around with it. However the wire feeder was not working so I had to manually feed the wire through the gun. Through some testing I believe the wire feed motor is no good in the unit anymore and have had great difficulty finding one to replace it with. So I’m hoping this thread is still active and someone could point me in the right direction or even tell me I’m wrong with the wire feed motor being junk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jegarlinger View Post
    I have recently came into ownership of a millermatic 35s and it has been sitting in a garage for roughly 30 years. I was able to plug it in and start her up and ran and I was able to get an arc going on the spot weld and eventually was able to get an arc going with the continuous as well with some messing around with it. However the wire feeder was not working so I had to manually feed the wire through the gun. Through some testing I believe the wire feed motor is no good in the unit anymore and have had great difficulty finding one to replace it with. So I’m hoping this thread is still active and someone could point me in the right direction or even tell me I’m wrong with the wire feed motor being junk.
    I'm not an expert, but the folks who are would probably want to know what you did to determine the motor is bad? They tend to be incredibly long-lasting. I've seen people post they thought one that sat for many years was bad, but turned out to be dried, caked, grease locking things up....can't confirm that, but I've read it a couple of times.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

I believe there are only 2 wires on that motor. You can jump across them and it may operate. If not there are many similar for sale on ebay or other places. Pretty inexpensive too.
    Has yours had the gun / solenoid conversion done?
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Motor operates across the weld voltage. Since you have arc, either no voltage is getting to the motor or the motor has a stuck brush. So check DC voltage on the two wires to the motor. if you have voltage you may need to repair the motor.
    Some times it just takes disassembling and cleaning. Clean the com and make sure the brushes move. Just don't break anything. Stuck brushes are common on long stored welders.

20. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found with the 35s I recently pirchased that the Potentiometer to the wire speed knob was not working good. I turned the knob back and forth several times to get the wire speed working better or at all since at specific settings the wire feed motor would not operate.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m trying to do the same thing, converted my MM35 to a euro connection and added a 24v solenoid, I can’t get an exact manual for my welder as I have a Canadian serial number and search turns up nothing. I know it’s between 77-80 and has the spot panel on it. We’re saying pin 32 and 44. I don’t have any numbering except white labels on all the wires. Would those wire numbers match the PIN numbers ?Name:  IMG_2759.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  80.0 KBName:  IMG_2760.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  76.2 KB

the block with the red wire in the second picture all goes to the wire feed motor

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist