Thread: compound angles calculating?

Post Thanks / Like

compound angles calculating?

Hoping somebody help me understand how to calculate a compound angle cut.

I have a table base. The legs are square tube splayed at 15 degrees out and back. I need to attach a square tube between them to tie them together.

Perhaps somebody could direct me to your favorite tutorial,template making, or some old school knowledge.

Current, I am not ready to punt and cut a hole in the tubing. I have not tried it in 3D CAD, yet.

Would like to gain some understanding, as i think it would be a nice tool to have with out a bunch of trial and error.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: compound angles calculating?

I use chalk or soapstone... marking the tubing inside the legs and outside the legs. Then connect the dots... but you have to have a stable hold that repeats for this. It also alleviates errors if you are careful and place each "gusset" in before welding.

I am sure there is a more high tech technique but this is what I do and it hasn't failed yet.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Funny, I hadn't considered using a grinder to hand cut the angles. I can see it minimizing error and address the potential offedness of my leg angle. That is probably the approach I will need to take at this point. Since, i want the tube centered, I could transfer the marks/angles where ever they need to be.

Still, Trying to understand the compound angle thing. So, I can set up and cut on a band saw.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you show pics of what you are working on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I just make sure my legs are longer than they need to be. That way when I screw it up, I can try again.

I usually just do them with a grinder much like Mac said.

Post Thanks / Like

Just set the bevel on your saw for a 90* cut, then add 15*. Then put the tubing in the saw on the diamond instead of flat.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Mac, that worked in shorter order.

Bob, again funny, I sketched it in 2D. calculated the length of the 15 degrees legs in 2D. Then came up short since other 15 degrees was not taken into account. I did not expect it to reduce the height an inch.

Jeffrey. I may post a photo when welded. It is just a dining table base.

Walker, the part needs to sit with flat side parallel to the ground??? I cut the legs at 15 degree bevel and 15 degree mitre. I am not sure that actually gives 15 degrees splay as I stated, from what I read.

Thanks to all

I still would appreciate input if somebody has a theoretical approach the compound angles.

Post Thanks / Like

Try this, it is for machinist with a compound sine plate,

http://www.auto-met.com/subtool/stcat/st_137.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jones.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only set up a compound angle cut on my saw a couple times and it's a pain in the rear. But if I understand what you're asking, you would set your saw to 15 degrees, then you need to raise one end of the piece you're cutting to 15 degrees.
    Millermatic 252
    1965 SA-200 (burns oil)
    1975 Miller 55g (leaks oil)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccs View Post
    I've only set up a compound angle cut on my saw a couple times and it's a pain in the rear. But if I understand what you're asking, you would set your saw to 15 degrees, then you need to raise one end of the piece you're cutting to 15 degrees.
    Thanks

I was trying to connect the legs with cross member. I tried the 15x15 degree cut. It was not the correct angle. It wasn't a bad experience to cut it by hand. I think a belt sander would be in order if i had multiples.