+ Reply to Thread

Thread: John Deere 4410 Draft Arm Break

Post Thanks / Like

John Deere 4410 Draft Arm Break

Good afternoon,

One of the rear draft arms on my 4410 tractor broke right across the attachment point for the lifting arm. It was a clean break. The tractor is 16 years old. I priced out a replacement and it was around $250 bucks. Ouch! I decided to take it to my local welding shop instead. They welded it up for $100 bucks and it looked great. Unfortunately, after about 10 minutes of discing, it failed in the exact same spot.

I took it back and discussed it with the shop and they were going to try it again with some higher tensile strength rods and reinforce it with some steel on the bottom. There isn't room for reinforcement on the sides or top. I am not expecting to be charged...

I'm a newbie welder, but it seems like this original weld didn't get adequate penetration. Thoughts about this?

Do you think this can be fixed with stronger rods and reinforcement? Or should I just buy a new one?

Name:  IMG_6108.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  54.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: John Deere 4410 Draft Arm Break

It definitely wasnt grooved out enough to get good penatration. If I did that repair I would have tacked it together, gouged almost halfway thru on one side , then welded. Then I would gouge down to the weld from the other side and welded it. Not sure but I imagine that T-1 steel would be used in that application , so a 80-90,000 tensile electrode with some preheat should have been used .
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a new one if you would get full weld then you still have to have the hole bored and after using the proper rods and process then the machine shop bill because no drill bit will touch it and it was originally a one piece forging it will never be the same just my thoughts

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Former JD mechanic here, I agree with getting another arm, save yourself the grief.

Post Thanks / Like

They should have grooved it out then then they should have run a root pass with er70s or some 70 series welding electrode(that just represents the tensile strength of the weld). Now it's likely going to break again even if they weld it properly, you can ask them to price the cost if making one if you think that might be cheaper than buying the john Deere one, or try making it yourself.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kilmartinmichael21 View Post
    They should have grooved it out then then they should have run a root pass with er70s or some 70 series welding electrode(that just represents the tensile strength of the weld). Now it's likely going to break again even if they weld it properly, you can ask them to price the cost if making one if you think that might be cheaper than buying the john Deere one, or try making it yourself.

Also do note that these parts do usually only last for so long, fatigue will eventually get to it, and has you see it will always fail in that spot as it is the weakest point in the entire linkage.

Post Thanks / Like

250 is honestly cheap for that part on that size machine it's amazing that the weld shop just did a burn and turn on that without any thoughts of forged hardness bevel weld interpass temp or normalizing the weld after hot glue and muffler tape may have had similar results lol it's only gotta lift like 1800 lbs or so

Post Thanks / Like

From the look of the "groove" (sad excuse for a groove),, it wasn't a full penetration weld...……….like it woulda mattered anyhow

Those arms are heat treated. And, God Only Knows what alloy they are. THEY ARE NOT WELD FRIENDLY. Gotta buy a new one, and they should credit ya the labor for the welding on the purchase price. Buncha F'n morons to even attempt to weld it, let alone to have the F'n gall to charge ya for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah that's a cayote and roadrunner kinda weld pretty sad I wish I had there waybelows to charge for it

Post Thanks / Like

And now the part is going to cost you $350 after paying for a failed repair on top of a new part.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

You can get new lift arms online for about $75 bucks for a little tractor like that, most of them are just forged steel and they weld really nice. I have fixed a bunch of them and also installed new ball ends on many as well.

CR

Post Thanks / Like

I took the arm back to the shop and talked to the lady at the front desk. We chatted for a bit and she let slip that the guys in back didn’t think it would work! I told them that if they thought that, they shouldn’t have done the work. I suggested they try again at no charge. They re- welded it and it’s in use now. Snow plowing with my back blade should put it to the test. The lady at the desk said they welded it from the inside out. Not sure 🤔 what that means.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UpNorthDuck View Post
    I took the arm back to the shop and talked to the lady at the front desk. We chatted for a bit and she let slip that the guys in back didn’t think it would work! I told them that if they thought that, they shouldn’t have done the work. I suggested they try again at no charge. They re- welded it and it’s in use now. Snow plowing with my back blade should put it to the test. The lady at the desk said they welded it from the inside out. Not sure �� what that means.
    I think she was blowing some of that welder smoke up your a$$!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    I think she was blowing some of that welder smoke up your a$$!!
    Mike
    I think she means they welded the inside and outside which makes sense. They should have done that initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The 4410 is a fairly small tractor (under 3K lbs without the loader) and only lifts around 2K with the 3pt, so it's not likely they used any exotic steel on the lift arms. Plenty of similar lift arms have been repaired over the years without problem....new ball ends welded on, quick attachment hooks welded on, etc.

They don't really fail that often, so I suspect that one had a flaw. Lots of tractors from the 40s and 50s still have original lift arms after all these years.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine successfully welded a lift arm on my New Holland 55 hp tractor. He v’d it out completely, pre-heated and made multiple passes with 7018.

No problems in 7 years of hard tractor work.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Cut square piece of similar stock. Drill same size hole in new piece . Line up hole , mark arm where new piece lines up . Cut arm and v both pieces then weld

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UpNorthDuck View Post
    Good afternoon,

One of the rear draft arms on my 4410 tractor broke right across the attachment point for the lifting arm. It was a clean break. The tractor is 16 years old. I priced out a replacement and it was around $250 bucks. Ouch! I decided to take it to my local welding shop instead. They welded it up for $100 bucks and it looked great. Unfortunately, after about 10 minutes of discing, it failed in the exact same spot.

I took it back and discussed it with the shop and they were going to try it again with some higher tensile strength rods and reinforce it with some steel on the bottom. There isn't room for reinforcement on the sides or top. I am not expecting to be charged...

I'm a newbie welder, but it seems like this original weld didn't get adequate penetration. Thoughts about this?

Do you think this can be fixed with stronger rods and reinforcement? Or should I just buy a new one?

Name:  IMG_6108.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  54.2 KB
    Nice penetration...

Must have had the new guy with a 110 volt HF welder do the work.

Hopefully the 2nd try was a better effort.
    HTP Pro Pulse 220 MTS (Anniversary Edition)
    1962 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1974 Idealarc TIG 300 300
    1988 HF Power MIG 150
    2015 Lotos Ltpdc2000d plasma/Stick/TIG
    Victor 100 torch, 200- 210 Oxy/Acet gauges

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist