+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: first bead, a bit embarrassed

Post Thanks / Like

Re: first bead, a bit embarrassed

Look up a video of ultra slow motion gas metal arc welding it will make alot of sense as to what's really happening

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fps View Post
    Let the voltage at one setting and manually slowly raise or lower the speed until you get the bacon frying sound.............just stay with the 023.
    Pete
    I think I understand , use one voltage and adjust the wire speed, I can do this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crugg65 View Post
    Try to keep the machine on 220volts for all your welding. Your welder will run cooler and the welders duty cycle is longer. Use 110v when 220v not available and 1/8” metal thickness is probably maximum to get out of Miller 211 on 110v. Preheat your metal a little bit and compare your welds that were not heated. Take two 1/8” plates and leave a 1/16” space and run a few beads. Show us your results! We love pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Will do, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Westbrook View Post
    Look up a video of ultra slow motion gas metal arc welding it will make alot of sense as to what's really happening

All this homework, I love it, you guys a great help. I was just reading on .....A turbulent flow of gas as it exits the gun may also lead to porosity problems. Ideally, the gas will lay over the weld puddle much like a blanket. Turbulent gas flow can be caused by too high a flow, an excessive amount of spatter inside the gun nozzle, or spatter build-up in the gas diffuser.

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself a Mig welding pliers. It’s not only a wire cutter but it cleans the guns nozzle out really good! Of coarse nozzle dip or spray is a must to help with spatter build up.

1968-'70 Lincoln SA 200 code 6633
    Millermatic 200 serial#JE834063

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disisme View Post
    Ahh ok that would make sense and probably answer my question I had first asked about auto and plate guage.
    Take a look at Mike Westbrook's comment. You weren't actually using the Autoset because you had the wire speed at 100% rather than for the wire size. It was literally pushing out as much wire per second as possible, and that will cause tall beads.

As was mentioned, Autoset really isn't intended for running beads on flat plate, but it can be done. Generally speaking, you'll want to turn the wire speed way down to run beads on flat plate....I'd probably try something like 30% first to see what happens.

Voltage and wire speed are a balancing act and after a little while you'll be able to tell right away if you have too much or too little of either.

The good thing is that your beads aren't total bird's nests like some folks get, so you're ahead of the game!
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Mike I found some slow mo videos, amazing footage to watch. I think I'm going to have to didicate more time to research.

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself a Mig welding pliers. It’s not only a wire cutter but it cleans the guns nozzle out really good! Of coarse nozzle dip or spray is a must to help with spatter build up.

Yep got em.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    Take a look at Mike Westbrook's comment. You weren't actually using the Autoset because you had the wire speed at 100% rather than for the wire size. It was literally pushing out as much wire per second as possible, and that will cause tall beads.

As was mentioned, Autoset really isn't intended for running beads on flat plate, but it can be done. Generally speaking, you'll want to turn the wire speed way down to run beads on flat plate....I'd probably try something like 30% first to see what happens.

Voltage and wire speed are a balancing act and after a little while you'll be able to tell right away if you have too much or too little of either.

The good thing is that your beads aren't total bird's nests like some folks get, so you're ahead of the game!
    I can't wait to get back to the shop to try all the great suggestions, I'm like a sponge when it comes to learning something new.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post

Thanks that makes me feel better. Believe it or not but I was a well driller 30 years ago and I stick welded pipe to pound into the ground and through that season of working never once broke a pipe.

Post Thanks / Like

There is never any reason to be embarrassed by attempting to learn something ... anything. Just keep going. The old saying "practice makes perfect" really is true.

Post Thanks / Like

first bead, a bit embarrassed

I'm not familiar with the newer model 211 mine is the older transformer.
    It appears in your photo the right control knob is NOT set on your side size.
    IF the autoset LIGHT is not illuminated it's NOT set for auto set.
    Nozzle gel will help when learning. Holding nozzle too close will cause nozzle build up.
    When nozzle is hot, just dip in gel.

Last edited by BD1; 11-05-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You definitely have a gas delivery issue. You should not be getting porosity in the weld beads like that. Since we can't see exactly what you're doing, you'll have to describe your distances angles. A lot of times these things are not illustrated properly even in YouTube videos. Both manual chart settings and Auto-Set settings are just basic guidelines as per the Miller manual on the 211. Definitely don't switch to 120V, you'll gain nothing. When I had my 211 I had it up and running 100% in zero-time flat, so it's something obvious that you're overlooking to produce those results. The more ordered details you give, the quicker you can get to actually welding / running beads.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

It wouldn't hurt to tell him (how) to put the pliers in the nozzle and twist it to break the gunk out.
    Everlast i210 with 200a spool gun
    Everlast i140e
    LOTOS LTP5000D Non-Touch Pilot Arc

"Things are never so bad that they can't get worse...."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fps View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to tell him (how) to put the pliers in the nozzle and twist it to break the gunk out.
    Removing nozzle works best for me.

Post Thanks / Like

All of this is good advice.

Truth is all of our first attempts were similar to yours. It takes practice, practice, and more practice. At some point it will click and you will be on your way to welding.

As a new welder, try to eliminate as many variables as you can. Use the Autoset feature so you are not dialing up and down and not knowing what changes what. (My older 211 does not have Autoset for .023 wire). Set gas on 15. Using your .023 wire, get some 1/8” (11 gauge) steel. Clean to shiny metal. I suggest drawing a line with chalk or sharpie so you have something to follow. Get your angle at less than 90* to the metal and push in the direction you are moving. Consistent Stick out and tip height are critical to getting the sizzle sound. Let that piece cool and use another piece for the next run. After it begins to make sense you can try adding variables like metal thickness, manual settings, etc. Always look at the puddle and move it uniformly over both sides.

If there is an experienced welder near you that can help you get started that would help but you can teach yourself. Videos are helpful but do not take the place of practice.

Just do not get discouraged!
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely I check and turn the gas off on machines I haven't used for 3 months lost gas is worse than spilled whiskey if you price it

Hah

Every once in a while I catch myself walking over to a bottle just to make sure it’s turned off

AND I KNOW DAMN WELL IT IS.

LMAO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

first bead, a bit embarrassed

To the OP,
    I don’t know what you’re complaining about I think your welds look great.

Just kidding they suck.

But hang in there you will get better
    You need to reach that “Ah,HaH moment...

I agree with the others looks like a gas problem.

Along with cleaning out the end of the nozzle like mentioned,
    Make sure that the gas is actually coming out the end of the gun...
    All that spitter spatter may have clogged up the little holes.

Open up the side cover and flip the bail down... so you are not feeding wire

Then put the gun up to your ear and press the trigger.

You should hear or feel the gas coming out.

If you don’t, clean out the end of the gun / gas orifices ... / tiny holes where the gas comes out.

Sorry if this is been mentioned before,

I really don’t read other people‘s posts...

It’s all about me.

Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Why be embarrassed...……..play with it, and fix it. I might suggest the Lincoln Bible to get some insight on the process, and parameters. Lincoln also publishes parameters that go with the wire they sell. They're free online.....take a gander.
    Ok is the Lincoln Bible a generic name for some book because its not showing up when I search.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    To the OP,
    I don’t know what you’re complaining about I think your welds look great.

Just kidding they suck.

But hang in there you will get better
    You need to reach that “Ah,HaH moment...

I agree with the others looks like a gas problem.

Along with cleaning out the end of the nozzle like mentioned,
    Make sure that the gas is actually coming out the end of the gun...
    All that spitter spatter may have clogged up the little holes.

Open up the side cover and flip the bail down... so you are not feeding wire

Then put the gun up to your ear and press the trigger.

You should hear or feel the gas coming out.

If you don’t, clean out the end of the gun / gas orifices ... / tiny holes where the gas comes out.

Sorry if this is been mentioned before,

I really don’t read other people‘s posts...

It’s all about me.

Yes I will be pulling the nozzel and making sure it and the tip is clean as well as setting gas to 15 pounds and making sure i have gas flow, and adjusting the wire speed starting at around 25, also will try heating some metal and cold metal. I got scrap plate but maybe a bit thicker than 1/8. Can't wait for this weekend when I'm off , 12 hour shifts really cut in on my learning time. I will post results and pics and not jump all over the place with the dials just so I don't drive you guys insane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disisme View Post
    Ok is the Lincoln Bible a generic name for some book because its not showing up when I search.
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  101.0 KB

I don't think you need it but reference are never a bad thing.

As others have mentioned you did not have it on AUTO-Set.

Either set it to Auto Set or use the door chart to get you in the ballpark.

Try again and post the results.

Your settings for the gas looks fine but there is definitely porosity but that could because by the setting being wrong and just making a mess with the wire NOT being able to burn off correctly. Or pulling the mig gun away too soon.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Broccoli1 View Post
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  101.0 KB

I don't think you need it but reference are never a bad thing.

As others have mentioned you did not have it on AUTO-Set.

Either set it to Auto Set or use the door chart to get you in the ballpark.

Try again and post the results.

Your settings for the gas looks fine but there is definitely porosity but that could because by the setting being wrong and just making a mess with the wire NOT being able to burn off correctly. Or pulling the mig gun away too soon.
    After spending a bit more time on youtube I think I found part of my problem which my wire /tip( being wrong speed ) was too far from the plate.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok here's the updates and a couple lessons learned, first thing I did was clean the nozzle and tip but really there was no build up there. Next I lowered the gas to 15lbs. I then tried the heat at 7 and wire feed at 25 , that went bad , cooked the tip because wire wasn't coming out fast enough as you will see in one of the pics, new tip installed.

Then I boosted the wire to 40 and left volts at 7 and was better but was popping and I thought back to the video Mike suggested I watch. I tried turning wire back down to 40 and it wasn't getting better but at least the wire wasn't burning back to the new tip. So I thought maybe something I'm doing here, I turned the volts down to 5.5 , ahhh sounded better, turned down to 5 and I could start to hear the bacon, down to 4.5 and sizzling, setted on 4 and 40 infeed. I think the beads looked much better and I even did a couple butt joints , one being heavier than the 1/8 plate I was using. What you guys think? May have to do a two part post of the pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few more. You can see how I cooked the tip , at first I thought I could file it off but... I'm not sure if its any indication or not but you can see where the wire is extended to each time I stopped welding and I'm hoping thats an indication that its a good speed in relation to the volts.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Post Thanks / Like

Did you try auto set ?????
    I've used that with students and that is probably the easiest to learn with. Only one setting to adjust .

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist