Thread: Lincoln 3350 4C

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln 3350 4C

For those who have the Lincoln 3350 4C helmet, do you feel their 4C tru-color/clear view technology is really as good as they claim?

I think I need a new helmet, I have a heck of a time seeing what I'm welding. I normally run at shade 10, which keeps the arc at tolerable levels, but I can barely, sometimes, make out the puddle, and can't see any of the surrounding metal to follow my line. I turn it down to shade 9 and then the arc is just too bright. I've tried shining really bright lights onto the work area, and while it sort of helps, it's still not great. I tried putting a rag over the back of my head to keep ambient light out of the helmet, but that made no difference.

I just really think it's my crappy helmet (Kobalt brand from Lowes). It's possible it might be the colored tint as well as I am a little color blind.

I've watched a few reviews of these newer "true color" helmets, like the Miller Digitial Infinity series, the Lincoln 4c, and some others. I think the Miller has the best controls, but it's quite pricey. I think the Lincoln represents the best bang for the buck at nearly $200 less than the Miller and most reviewers like the Lincoln 4c lens better compared to the others.

I wouldn't mind dropping $325ish on one if it would really make that much of a difference (and if I could then actually see what I am welding!). If there's a cheaper alternative you think is nearly as good, I would certainly consider that as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln 3350 4C

Try a $25 fixed shade lens helmet as the standard of what you should see. To get to that degree of clarity in an auto darkening lens you may need to pay up to 500$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I was looking at the Lincoln. The 3350 4c is around $325 (for the basic black helmet, I don't care if it has any fancy flames or colors on it).

Is there any particular brand/model of fixed shade helmet you'd recommend? I'd certainly be willing to give it a try, especially at that price.

Post Thanks / Like

I started with a $100 Lincoln and like you could never find that elusive weld puddle. I somehow picked up a Hobart fixed shade and could all of a sudden see the puddle and never went back. I use a flashlight to see my work before I start the arc without having to flip down the hood. I also attached leather to block out ambient light from behind. That is awkward, but I dont weld for a living. If I did I might shell out all that money for an Optrel crystal 2.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have that same 3350 in black. Clearest view of anything I have ever used and I have used or tried out quite a few.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm going to try a fixed shade and see how it works. I have a Tractor Supply nearby and they have Forney and Hobarts for $27. I have no issue with placing the gun in position, flip the hood down and then go. If the vision is that good with the fixed shade and the Lincoln is anywhere near that, then I'll consider forking out the $$ for one. I don't weld that often, but when I do I tend to do more than a few pieces, so it's worth it to me to spend $300 on a helmet (but that'd be the upper end of what I'd spend, no $500+ ones). It also is driving me crazy that I can't see and tend to overshoot or get off my line. I want pretty welds!

Post Thanks / Like

For those who have the Lincoln 3350 4C helmet, do you feel their 4C tru-color/clear view technology is really as good as they claim?
    Best AD helmet I have used, including Miller Elite, Jackson Baldur, and a 3M speedglass. The only thing I have tried that beats it is a fixed shade hood with a gold coated glass lens. But for the difference, I will go with the Lincoln for stick welding, I still can't strike the arc accurately with the fixed shade lens. I still sometimes go back to the fixed shade for MIG and TIG however.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Just noticed this on the Lincoln website, $50.00 off : https://promotions.lincolnelectric.c...red_save_green
    Ernie F.

Post Thanks / Like

3350 is $250 on Amazon with an additional $50.00 rebate.

Two years ago my LWS brought a sample of every hood that they had in stock for me to compare. I already had an Optrel E684 but wanted a second hood.

Lincoln Viking 3350 was the best by far. I compared every major brand, including Speedglas, Jackson, ESAB, etc. I typically use the Lincoln over the Optrel if that tells you anything.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of people like the ESAB rap around hood but I have the 3350 4c and It just flat out works and I can see every thing. Dont 'need any $500.00 hood unless it has a PAPR
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    3350 is $250 on Amazon with an additional $50.00 rebate.

Two years ago my LWS brought a sample of every hood that they had in stock for me to compare. I already had an Optrel E684 but wanted a second hood.

Lincoln Viking 3350 was the best by far. I compared every major brand, including Speedglas, Jackson, ESAB, etc. I typically use the Lincoln over the Optrel if that tells you anything.
    I believe it can be had for even less at Amazon on Black Friday, at least in years past.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Best AD helmet I have used, including Miller Elite, Jackson Baldur, and a 3M speedglass. The only thing I have tried that beats it is a fixed shade hood with a gold coated glass lens. But for the difference, I will go with the Lincoln for stick welding, I still can't strike the arc accurately with the fixed shade lens. I still sometimes go back to the fixed shade for MIG and TIG however.
    What does the gold coating do for the view? What color is the tint when looking through it? (I know the lens tint color usually has nothing to do with the tint you see through the lens).

All my welding (so far) has been MIG/FC, but my machine can do stick and DC TIG (I don't have a TIG torch, though I want to get one at some point). I've never even tried stick welding. I probably should at least practice with stick some, but I've avoided it.

Post Thanks / Like

I was just doing some general looking around at fixed shade lenses and such and came across "Wens Lens"...$128!! ... just for a fixed shade lens????? And to top it off, they're blue tinted! Well, they call it "Ultra Cool Blue." Blue is like the hardest color for the human eye to focus, why would you want that?

Anyway, not that I'm going to go buy one, but dang, that's a lot of money for one lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazon had the Lincoln 3350 4C for $216. Now its back up to $258. If you're still looking might want to keep up with Amazon for the next few weeks. As for passive welding helmets, I've used the lincoln for a while and love it. I just bought a fixed shade Optrel. Comes with Shade 11. Interested in seeing the differences.

Post Thanks / Like

Best dam hood I every had

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Its a great lens. I actually have a 2x4c, which is the same lens, but fits 2x4 passive hoods. That and a pipeliner are a great combo. You should be able to pick up both for around $150, then you can get a good lens for if/when the mood strikes.