Thread: Airco 300 super Hornet

Post Thanks / Like

Airco 300 super Hornet

I just bought an Airco 300 Super Hornet that had been sitting in a field for a while. I drained the gas replaced the lines and inline filter. I then found the distributor bushing was so worn out the shaft was to far away from the points tab to break the points. After many hours of internet searches I found an electronic distributor that was supposed to be the right one, ($201.00) It had the same number and everything however the bottom bushing had the wrong OS diameter and would not fit into the hole to spline up. As the shaft was the size i punched out the pins and put the old bushing on the new distributor. Keep in mind that it was the internal shaft bushing (brass) that was egg shaped not the end shaft (steel) bushing. Ok so i replace the distributor and replaced plugs, got it in time and it cranked up without any difficulty. It runs pretty smooth but I noticed 2 things that i need help with.1> the engine will not idle up to welding RPMs when I strike an arc,I can flip up the lock out switch and it idles up and welds fine. 2> I can hear some (my guess) harmonic bearing noise. It seems to be coming from the armature end bearings. Im not sure front or back or both. My question is can these bearings be accessed to grease or oil? I do not see any grease fittings or oil tubes. Any Ideas will be greatly appreciated. I would also like to say after I bought the electronic coil I found a place that specializes in teledyne continental engine parts I called them and they said they had the part i was looking for but I had already used the other one. I cant vouch for them because i didnt buy from them but they were very helpful. the name is Montesequipment.com . I dont think they have a catalogue you just have to call them and ask about the part you are looking for.
    Kenny.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Airco 300 super Hornet

Those are damn good old welders. I ran some of those years ago and worked on them as well. This was 20 and 30 years ago so I forgot most of the adjustments and thing that go worng and be easily fixed, those bearings you asked about cant be greased, the one in the back can be easily replaced, just brace up the armature and unbolt the end plate and knock out the old bearing and push the new one in. Im thinkin that's how I used to do it, I am an old fart now and forgot a lot of that stuff since I don't use those machines anymore. You seem like a fella that has some common sense Im sure if you study it a bit you will figure it out.

Miller bought out Airco and built there Big 30s, Big 40s and Big 50s on that same design, the parts are pretty much interchangeable so Miller may be able to help you out as well, have fun you got a good one there and them things will weld all day long as long as you keep gas in it. Check the oil regular, like evry tankful, they do use a bit of oil when you are pushin them hard like I used to

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the info and the encouragement.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Popeye, Are you still out and about here ? I have a few questions about my Super Hornet if you have time. thanks I have pictures and specs seems mine seems to have the 1.3 Maza engine I believe I just picked it up. Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Post some pics if you can. It's more than likely a Miller machine with an Airco name tag. Miller didn't buy out Airco, Esab got some and Lincoln got some. I think Thermal Dynamics got some of the engine drives too. Pics. will help as well as serial number.

6. Likes Uncleben liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are the pics I have posted on another post. Thanks for any help you can give. btw Miller does not show this welder on their site. I can find where I can find a manual it's well appreciated.

Thanks again

Name:  20211116_165100.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  38.7 KBName:  20211116_165056.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  52.4 KBName:  20211115_183043.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  63.2 KBName:  20211115_183109.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  49.6 KBName:  20211115_183056.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  51.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

From what I could find it may have been made by Generac but later models of Super Hornets were rebadged Miller Big 40's. The aux. power generator is the biggest difference and I think it may have a Mazda engine.

9. Likes Uncleben liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Uncleben View Post
    Hello Popeye, Are you still out and about here ? I have a few questions about my Super Hornet if you have time. thanks I have pictures and specs seems mine seems to have the 1.3 Maza engine I believe I just picked it up. Thanks in advance.
    That dont look like the ones we had, I know they had the old flathead Continental F163 motors as did the Millers that Miller copied theirs from. I dont know if what you have looks like the generator end either that I changed out the bearing in

11. Likes Uncleben liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The newer Super Hornets were Miller Big 40's. Miller and Airco had a long relationship. I don't think Airco built a lot of their own machines but had machines made by Miller, P&H and others. I think the machines Old Minor used were like the one in this thread (post 9) that is a Miller.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/7...-40-same-thing

13. Likes Uncleben liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    The newer Super Hornets were Miller Big 40's. Miller and Airco had a long relationship. I don't think Airco built a lot of their own machines but had machines made by Miller, P&H and others. I think the machines Old Minor used were like the one in this thread (post 9) that is a Miller.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/7...-40-same-thing
    I didnt know Miller built the Airco machines, I know the Airco machines we had were older than the Millers, thats what made me think the Miller bought Airco. We had a Big 40 the motor went in it so I took the Continental F163 motor from an Airco and put it in the Big 40, the generator was burned up in the Airco, and the generator etc looked exactly like the Big 40. Me bein the smartass that I was at the time took the top cover from the Airco, one door from the Airco, and used a door from the Miller put it together and started weldin with it. Bernie and Butch looked at it and said what the hell is that? I told em it was a half breed Miller/Airco, they said does it work? I said yup they said have at it

15. Likes Uncleben liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much, I sure appreciate all your help. I still can't find the year or where it was made, I am having a issue with the Generator part, When I put load on her she will pick up with normal lights, Fridge, Furnace, Shop Lights, But when I turn on Spa it's wants to surge a bit and come down from 1800 Rpm to 1750 and when I pickup idle manually it's fine. The mechanical governor seems to be working okay until I put a bigger load on her. when I switch to welder it picks right up to 2700 rpm and hit the idle control and she rests just like it should.

I guess what I am wondering seems I can't find the year or who made it does anyone know if that's normal or is there something I am over looking, I have tried to adjust the governor but it does the same thing, Drops the RPM down to 1750 or a bit lower. It runs so good it amazing I want to use it for a power plant when Our power goes out here in upper mi. cuz it's out every time the wind blows hard. Other than that I have like 5 Welders I use so I really don't use it for that yet, I will though. but for now this winter I need her to run everything for our outages so I can continue to work in show when powers out.

You Guys and Gals sure know your stuff and it doesn't go unappreciated at all. Thanks so much for all who have contributed to me at least going it the proper direction to find out who made this old machine.

Bless you all and H.H. to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Look carefully for a tag that lists the generator RPM. Some welder/generators operate at different RPM depending on the mode selected. You might also need to switch the machine to high idle when using the generator at higher amps. The welder is 1800 RPM so I don't know where the 2700 RPM comes from? I would contact Miller and even if they didn't make the machine, may know who did and might know how to get a manual for it.

18. Likes Uncleben liked this post