+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 7014 rods

Post Thanks / Like

7014 rods

I recently ordered a 10 lb box of 3/32 7014 rod, it came in a plastic box, the box was sealed with heavy plastic, I cut it open and removed the tape around the seam, popped the top off and the rod was sealed in plastic and wrapped in heavy paper like shirt cardboard, thought it was odd, as I thought 14 was not affected by moisture. The instructions gave very specific instructions on how to dry it, I think it was 30 minutes at 350*. Just curious if any of y'all had seen this before. I've bought 7018 that wasn't wrapped as good.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 7014 rods

7014 does not need drying. What brand is it -- pictures ?

Post Thanks / Like

7014 does not need to heated

LOW HYDROGEN like 7018 does need to be heated to 250°F. When using 7018 I heat over night. Typically when you using LOW HYDROGEN rod like 7018 some one may X-ray the weld and look for bubbles in weld.
    The last thing is have redo all your welds for that job.

The LOW HYDROGEN rod will also weld better with per heating.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I recently ordered a 10 lb box of 3/32 7014 rod, it came in a plastic box, the box was sealed with heavy plastic, I cut it open and removed the tape around the seam, popped the top off and the rod was sealed in plastic and wrapped in heavy paper like shirt cardboard, thought it was odd, as I thought 14 was not affected by moisture. The instructions gave very specific instructions on how to dry it, I think it was 30 minutes at 350*. Just curious if any of y'all had seen this before. I've bought 7018 that wasn't wrapped as good.
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

The rod is LIBERTY brand, instructions say "Redrying instructions 176* F for 30 minutes". I was surprised when I got it, the way it was wrapped was crazy, I think the paper in the plastic box is like a desiccant. Makes me wonder if it's some kind of chinese recipe in the coating. It ran very nice on the new carport.I'm in southern Arizona, so I doubt it would ever be an issue anyway, I never dry my 7018.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why Lincoln has drying instructions for 7014?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

If you just doing shop it need to per heat 7018.
    If making a living from and need to comply with codes you do need to per heat.

Dave

The rod is LIBERTY brand, instructions say "Redrying instructions 176* F for 30 minutes". I was surprised when I got it, the way it was wrapped was crazy, I think the paper in the plastic box is like a desiccant. Makes me wonder if it's some kind of chinese recipe in the coating. It ran very nice on the new carport.I'm in southern Arizona, so I doubt it would ever be an issue anyway, I never dry my 7018.

Post Thanks / Like

My rod is LIBERTY, is LINCOLN specifying to dry 7014 too?
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

See link for Lincoln drying specs for many rods.

https://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-u...es-detail.aspx
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I think people are confusing keeping low hydrogen rods dry, so they perform correctly, with "redrying" rods which may have gotten wet or been exposed to humid conditions too long.

Wet rods of any type may not perform correctly hence the instructions for "redrying" rods of many types.

Post Thanks / Like

1) if rods were soaking wet and got rusty i would not use
    2) rutile rods 6013, 7014, 7024 often have some cellulose mixed in which has water in it and cause its often paper based it will burn if in oven at too high a temp. thus why drying might say under 200F to avoid burning it. usually dont worry about drying rutile rods, if they were soaking wet i would throw them away
    3) 7018 lime rods chemically absorb water like cement or concrete you can heat to 300F for decades or centuries and the water will never come out. usually have to heat to over 750F to remove chemically combined water. most professionals if rod wasnt kept in "dry" rod oven at 200F to keep it from absorbing water out of the air after 4 to 8 hours throw the rod out or use only for less sensitive non structural code work. if "wet" 7018 put in a "dry" rod oven at 200F it will never remove the chemically combined water any more than concrete heated to 200F would turn to a powder after exposure to 200F

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure on the AWS requirements for low hydrogen electrode storage temps but CSA W48 requires low hydrogen electrodes be stored at 250f.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

My rod is LIBERTY, is LINCOLN specifying to dry 7014 too?
    That true with all Welding rods.
    Low hydrogen has more spec for being dry. It may have x-ray and the hydrogen will put bubbles in weld

Dave
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

I keep some 3/32 7014 electrodes around for when my kids want to do some welding. The 7014 strikes and restrikes so easy for them. It’s much better for the kids than 7018 is.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist