Thread: Welding helmet: Too tight for a head nod?

Post Thanks / Like

Welding helmet: Too tight for a head nod?

That might sound like a silly question, but I was curious..

I've a cheap auto-darkening welding helmet, which I have no complaints about. The plastic is not the strongest, but for the price I paid I think it was worth it. The headband has one adjuster on the back for making it tighter on the head and two adjusters on the sides that make the helmet up-down movement more loose or tightened.

Usually the piece I'm working on is visible enough for me to be able to do everything with the helmet on, but yesterday I welded when it was getting dark and I needed to open my helmet to have a better sight. The problem was that when I loosened the side adjusters to the point I could move the helmet up and down, to keep it up and make a head nod to throw it back down, the helmet was too loose, to the point of coming down by itself when I leaned forward. When I got it tighter, it just locked in place. It wouldn't come down after a head nod (I didn't try it too hard afraid I could break the headband or the helmet).

I never used welding helmets before, so I'm just wondering whether that's an issue with that particular model I have, or if every helmet is either too loose or too locked in position. Do I have to keep it loose and balance it over my head until I do the head nod? That's actually how I had to work around the issue, I'd be keeping my face a little higher so the helmet weight would hold it up, and then do the head nod when I needed it down.

Name:  mascara_de_solda_com_escurecimento_automatico_msea_901_tork_6494_1_20190703101743.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  50.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding helmet: Too tight for a head nod?

What you are trying to was the norm before the AD helmets, adjusting them required a light touch and finesse, with the lighter helmets out now it is even harder to do.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    What you are trying to was the norm before the AD helmets, adjusting them required a light touch and finesse, with the lighter helmets out now it is even harder to do.
    Oh, so is it actually some kind of hack? I thought it could be that my helmet had a headband that doesn't allow that. I'll try to find that fine point where the helmet is slightly hold up but still able to drop down.

Post Thanks / Like

You might need some extra plastic washers in the pivot area, I have seen helmets assembled wrong and missing washers so that when you would flip them it would always move the knobs.

Post Thanks / Like

Another solution to your problem is to get a halogen worklight and point that at the weld area. Now you will be able to see in poor light. And you will find it helps even in decent light. Then leave the helmet down
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

Better hoods have better headgear. In this case you may just have to put up with the friction joints not being the best.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Install this and be done with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackson-Safet...9&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! My helmet is indeed a cheaper one, so the head gear is probably not the highest quality.

The halogen light is a very good idea and I can find lots of uses for it when I work on my car as well, so I'll build one soon!

I just grabbed the helmet again to try to exam the headband and see what could be the issue and I was able to adjust it much better than last time! Just at that fine point between being locked and a bit loose, so I can lift it and keep it stable but bring it down with a head nod. Let's see if it will work better now! If it doesn't and I can get a new headband cheaper than a whole new helmet I'll consider buying one, but if the adjustment I just did holds I think it will be fine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    By the way, do you live in Brazil Bonzoo? I just noticed your profile picture

Post Thanks / Like

He been moving around lately...