+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement machine handles

Post Thanks / Like

Replacement machine handles

I needed to bunch of tailstock handles at the school. I wasn't happy with the generic phenolic handles available these days so I opted to make a few. Turning was done in a single setup and then snapped off. This allowed them to be made fairly quickly. I then cleaned up the nubbin, polished, and plated them. This was my first venture into nickel plating that turned out to be much easier than expected. I also had to make a couple longer lock handles, in the last photo, which finished similarly.

Name:  IMG_4356.jpg
Views: 917
Size:  56.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_4357.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  56.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_4358.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  63.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_4374.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  51.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_4376.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  92.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Replacement machine handles

Nicely done sir

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

What is the process to turn the irregular shape?

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! This might require a separate thread, but could you show/give details of the nickel plating process?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice.

On a Myford Super 7 my dumb self somehow managed to run the tailstock right off the machine. Split the wheel and broke the handle but don't use the handle on the lead screw wheel so much so stole it for the tailstock.

Those look just like what it needs to be whole again.

Sweet job.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mac's Crew View Post
    Nicely done sir
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zimm View Post
    What is the process to turn the irregular shape?
    This was done on a CNC lathe and programmed using Fusion 360.

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-12-23 at 11.33.00 AM.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  38.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaJoe View Post
    Very nice! This might require a separate thread, but could you show/give details of the nickel plating process?
    I bought the nickel plating supplies from caswell. Process is dead simple. Polish the part, degrease, plate using a small DC power supply. I learned all I know from Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Really nice.

On a Myford Super 7 my dumb self somehow managed to run the tailstock right off the machine. Split the wheel and broke the handle but don't use the handle on the lead screw wheel so much so stole it for the tailstock.

Those look just like what it needs to be whole again.

Sweet job.
    I made handles for three Clausing lathes and an old South Bend. The crank on the South Bend was cracked so I tigged it up with aluminum bronze, then while I was sanding it I dropped it and it cracked in another place so I tigged it up again. It was really fairly easy to repair and I suspect it's stronger than original.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to imagine a world before automation, and computerized controls.

One would wonder how it was possible to win the War

Computerization, automation, and now AI, will cause (IS CAUSING) the greatest displacement of workers in history. It's also made globalization possible, due to the low level of training involved in manufacturing processes. Tis a brave new world.

Normally a guy would say "good job" on the handles, but who do you congratulate now Was a time where a pattern was painstakingly made, and a tracer/pantograph would create the part on the lathe.

I'm by no means denigrating the job. You're an intelligent guy, so I suppose it sometimes gives you pause, to think about the implications. Especially when training kids to go out there, and work in the field...…...which will someday be nonexistent.

And The grand culmination of all this progress...…………...Boeing now makes planes that automatically fly themselves into the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post

Computerization, automation, and now AI, will cause (IS CAUSING) the greatest displacement of workers in history. It's also made globalization possible, due to the low level of training involved in manufacturing processes. Tis a brave new world.

Normally a guy would say "good job" on the handles, but who do you congratulate now Was a time where a pattern was painstakingly made, and a tracer/pantograph would create the part on the lathe.

I'm by no means denigrating the job. You're an intelligent guy, so I suppose it sometimes gives you pause, to think about the implications. Especially when training kids to go out there, and work in the field...…...which will someday be nonexistent.

And The grand culmination of all this progress...…………...Boeing now makes planes that automatically fly themselves into the ground.
    You are correct, automation has eliminated more jobs than we have sent overseas (https://www.ft.com/content/dec677c0-...5-95d1533d9a62). Long past are the days of a man at every machine. Even job shops are automating. When I automated my production it increased my daily output 20 fold. It was a no brainer. While automation doesn't eliminate all skilled labor it certainly consolidates it. I genuinely fear for those who depend on unskilled positions for their livelihood as they are often the first to be replaced by automation. We are seeing the mechanization of labor in nearly every industry. Who would have thought we'd see self checkout at Walmart. Of course, I'm sure your glad your putting up large bales instead of loose hay.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by forhire View Post
    You are correct, automation has eliminated more jobs than we have sent overseas (https://www.ft.com/content/dec677c0-...5-95d1533d9a62). Long past are the days of a man at every machine. Even job shops are automating. When I automated my production it increased my daily output 20 fold. It was a no brainer. While automation doesn't eliminate all skilled labor it certainly consolidates it. I genuinely fear for those who depend on unskilled positions for their livelihood as they are often the first to be replaced by automation. We are seeing the mechanization of labor in nearly every industry. Who would have thought we'd see self checkout at Walmart. Of course, I'm sure your glad your putting up large bales instead of loose hay.
    I'm not sure I'm glad to be running large round balers. That's a fact. A fact lost on most.

The market has dictated my means of production.

At 1.35-2.00/lb on the hoof...……...it's a constraint. I'm the dog, being wagged by the tail.

Don't kid yourself...…...the folks out in Chicago, at the commodities market, know the factors of production...….and bid accordingly. The same goes for global markets.

Same with your labor...….you're not indispensable. To think otherwise, is fooling yourself.

I find it disheartening. The pitting of a few, who make some money, against those who barely make a living. It's what's making this country like it is today...……….divided.

There's two ways to produce a good. Throw capital at it, or throw labor at it.

Labor has been exhausted, or replaced. The money boys are now forcing us to throw our capital at it, not theirs. It's called leveraging. Working with other folks money.

So...…...throw yer 's into the wind. You're next in line. Or, your children are (shrug). Not my problem. Same as the disdain for working people......what goes around, comes around.

I'm constantly amazed at the folks that think they're immune from the new world order.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's say the Machining World comes up with a new, innovative, way of doing things. T'aiin't gonna be those who came up with the process who're gonna benefit...……..gonna be the end users. Ya, it's a free market economy, but where's the boundaries.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm old enough to be a student of Keynesian economics. Pretty simple supply, and demand.

The question is...……….at what point is the oversupply gonna ruin the market. If everything is produced by automated means,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,who's gonna buy the product?

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what, you did an excellent job. It's always a pleasure to view your post.

Post Thanks / Like

Been saying for years that there are no jobs for stupid people anymore. Time was, a man could make a living as a laborer. Didn't have to be real bright, just show up and work o the production line, in the ditch, hayfield, dairy barn, etc. Not anymore. Big business has killed small business, outside of the trades, and automation is much more reliable than human labor in addition to being cheaper. Not sure where this ends up, but there are too many guys sitting in the bar while their women work for a living.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work... I need a bunch of those handles for my 4.5" grinders that keep losing theirs.... That nice shiny finish has me thinking maybe I should be painting them florescent orange.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Hey......don't mind my mini rant. I'm not comfortable with change. It's the Xmas season, and I should just keep my thoughts to myself

Fact is...…..the new stuff makes any concept a reality, with absolute perfection.

Probably one of my favorite videos...………….

Their production dood/doodette has good taste in tunes too...…...all of 'em have great soundtracks

Post Thanks / Like

Hey......don't mind my mini rant. I'm not comfortable with change. It's the Xmas season, and I should just keep my thoughts to myself
    Fact is...…..the new stuff makes any concept a reality, with absolute perfection.
    Probably one of my favorite videos...…………
    Their production dood/doodette has good taste in tunes too...…...all of 'em have great soundtracks
    No problem. Nice burnishing video. I spent my holidays watching userwl2850's trepanning videos... no cool sound track other than the machines themselves.

Ever wonder what happens when you leave a part in the nickel plate over night? The part grew by 40 thousands. The luster is great aside from dimpling on the bottom, likely due to not being moved. The hanging wire was fully encased... and the thread is a bit over sized. I thought about running a die over it and using the handle but the thought of cutting nickel didn't sound too appealing. Note to self... only plate in the morning... not right before going home.

Name:  IMG_4565.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  80.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooo, bet that used up some nickel.... can you just 'un-plate' the threads?

Sodium nitrate... or this https://www.finishing.com/chemicals/stripper.shtml
    Last edited by ronsii; 12-31-2019 at 01:10 AM. Reason: added link.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Ooooo, bet that used up some nickel.... can you just 'un-plate' the threads?
    Sodium nitrate... or this https://www.finishing.com/chemicals/stripper.shtml
    I'll keep it around for when we go over nickel plating. I'm always asked how thick we can go... I guess now I know and have an example to show.

Caswell carries most of the MetalX strippers in small quantities. https://www.caswellplating.com/metal...per-2-5lb.html

I had made a few extras so all I've really lost is the time spent polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Those are really nice.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

Automation has also made so much so affordable to poor people than ever before. Lots of things went way down in price, tools, some machines increased only slightly or none in dollars in the last 30 years.
    30 years ago they would have had to have the Sears catalog and wish over it and save a long time to get what even a minimum wage worker can now afford in a couple days pay or can return savings from on a single event.
    Last edited by Sberry; 01-04-2020 at 04:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

the last machinist i worked with told me the machining trade is dead. the new modern shops he called lights out machining. one guy in a roomful of programmed machines to load material and watch for smoke if something went wrong.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work, as ALWAYS!!!
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

As a machinist I see both conventional and cnc being viable for years to come. I have run cnc prefer conventional. The cnc world doesn't do 1 and 2s efficiently so conventional is faster... or where it isn't cost effective to build tooling for the oddball part conventional is still king.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

Post Thanks / Like

forhire

I needed . . . tailstock handles . . . so I opted to make a few -
    Turning was done in a single setup . . . cleaned up the nubbin,
    polished, and plated . . .
    You set a high bar - for multi-disciplinarian tasks ^ ^ ^ . . .

Stick-man

Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    Very nice work, as ALWAYS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick-man View Post
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    The very best advice I ever received - You didn't have the heart to tell me -

Welcome back . . .

Opus

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread. Thanks for sharing.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist