+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IHC Truck Bumper Repair

Post Thanks / Like

IHC Truck Bumper Repair

Well, I promised someone a while back I would share my humiliation with the world, so here goes. First day drying grain I blew up my own grain truck, so I had to borrow one to keep things moving. While I was loading it, I drove the front end into a snowbank, thinking " A little snow isn't going to hurt anything..." . Wrong.... seems the 2 yr old snow has turned to concrete and bent the front bumper back to the steering tire. Can't return a borrowed truck with damage, so it was time to fix it. The big tandem won't fit into my heated shop, so I started out by "roughing out the damage" with a comealong attached to the blade of the 4020.
    Name:  IMG_2964.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  94.8 KB

Why not just pull it with the tractor? Control. Lots of time what looks like a straight pull will change angles as it moves forward in an arc so it might require moving things around.
    Name:  IMG_2965.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  93.7 KB

Starting to look better, but still lots of waves, kinks and bends....

Name:  IMG_2968.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  85.4 KB

Time to remove the bumper and head for the press...

Name:  IMG_3015.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  124.5 KB

Lucky for me, everything behind the bumper was good and straight...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IHC Truck Bumper Repair

Ever notice how starting one job almost always leads into another? I had been thinking the droopy old engine crane needed a boost to lift things higher in the air, so now it was time to get it done. I find when I'm working on farm equipment, most of my lifting is done at height rather than at the floor.

Name:  IMG_2987.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  126.3 KB

I wanted the extension to bolt/unbolt in case I didn't like it, and I didn't want to interfere with the weight limits of the crane. I think it might get another pair of heavy braces to hold it in place, but I didn't have the metal I wanted in stock, and this job wasn't heavy anyway.

Name:  IMG_3016-001.JPG
Views: 694
Size:  301.2 KB

Now you can see why I needed the extra height....

Name:  IMG_3025.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  109.1 KB

And speaking of extra jobs, if you have worked with railroad fishplates you know they aren't flat on the bottom or top... this one has a flat side now.

Name:  IMG_3039.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  115.2 KB
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Complicating the job was the fact that this bumper was an aluminum alloy. Should make it easier to straighten right? That's what I thought until it started cracking. A further complication was the long bird turd weld on the opposite side I damaged that started to crack open. Stresses around the bolt holes were also evident.
    Name:  IMG_3031.JPG
Views: 681
Size:  339.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_3033.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  60.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3018.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  97.3 KB
    Yea, this wasn't a job for light bumping hammers...
    Name:  IMG_3034.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  101.5 KB
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Work on the press went fairly smoothly. I just worked back and forth from end to end and tried to get the shape back to where it needed to be...Name:  IMG_3036.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  99.3 KB

One of the braces, the the valence along the top of the bumper also needed to be straightened...

Name:  IMG_3021.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  107.6 KB
    A sturdy piece of lumber made a good base to push against and didn't mar the aluminum.
    Name:  IMG_3023.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  100.2 KB

I knew that little 4 inch vise was going to come in handy some day...

Name:  IMG_3027.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  99.5 KB
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I know a guy that works in a neighboring Hutterite Colony that welds aluminum and stainless on a daily basis so I got home to fix up my welding issues with the cracks. Even an experienced welder cursed this one. Seems the bumper was originally chrome plated and the chrome/aluminum alloy mixture would mess things up. He ended up cutting the worst parts of the old weld and putting a strip of aluminum back in. He got things back together ok, but the remaining weld was still a little crude.

I needed something to smooth things out for paint, and bondo is out of the question for a big truck bumper, so I decided to use JB Weld. I must say, the more I work with this stuff, the more impressed I am. I let it harden overnight and it actually sanded out quite nicely with 220 grit on the RO sander.

Name:  IMG_3056.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3058.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  81.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3051.JPG
Views: 710
Size:  165.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_3054.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  107.9 KB
    Last edited by whtbaron; 12-22-2019 at 11:54 PM.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

This is where we run into technical difficulties. I was taking lots of pics on my phone to relay how things went here, but my phone did an update last night. Pics are still on it, but they won't download onto my computer. Tried rebooting both the phone and the computer to no avail. Guess I need a 13 yr old computer tech. At this point it's very hard to access enamels in the Canadian market (much like Calif.) and I really didn't want to mess around with water base technology on this job. I can still get Tremclad in an oil based format, so regardless of my disdain for it, that's the direction things went. This truck matches a fleet of 3 so I was trying to keep things much the same as they were. Problem was that I wasn't really looking at a finish coat. I think whoever painted these bumpers after the bird turd welding was done let the DP-90 sealer get too hard before they were top coated, and almost all the paint has blown off. The sealer was a brute to sand as well, but it is adhering very well to the chrome/aluminum so I didn't want to disturb it any more than I had to. I pulled out my trusty 40 yr DiVilbiss spray gun, cartridge style mask, and wheeled the bumper dangling from the shop crane out the front door. Those of you watching the thread on painting in the cold know that I was waiting for a warmer day and yesterday got up over 32 F so it was time to go (despite the 50 F manufacturers recommendation). Melting brought on a new problem however as now I had water dripping in front of the door so I had to keep things just inside the doorway while I sprayed. First coat was a light mist coat for adhesion, followed by 2 heavier coats with flash time in between. Start to finish was just over 3 hrs with an extra heater warming things up in my floor heated shop between coats. I keep the shop at 61 and the little heater brought it up to 65... kept things warm enough for the paint to be ok, but not real speedy for drying even with some IHC fast dry reducer. So anyway... here's some shots of the 2nd coat and the finished job.
    Name:  IMG_3077 (2).jpg
Views: 693
Size:  102.9 KB

Mounting hardware was also painted and retouched after final assembly... Color matching was achieved by mixing semi-gloss white, grey and black Tremclad.

Name:  IMG_3074 (10).JPG
Views: 685
Size:  195.2 KB

A little final tweaking of the braces and I got her all back together today. Is it perfect? Nope... but for a farm truck with 3 million miles on it, she's not too shabby. I think the owners will be ok with it...
    Name:  IMG_3083 (1).jpg
Views: 701
Size:  107.5 KB
    Last edited by whtbaron; 12-23-2019 at 12:29 AM.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work. It seems to be in better shape than when you picked the truck up, so the owner better be OK with it!
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

That's the plan... I've lent items to people before that came back all f'd up and I wasn't happy. You borrow stuff, it comes back the same or better... that's the rule.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    That's the plan... I've lent items to people before that came back all f'd up and I wasn't happy. You borrow stuff, it comes back the same or better... that's the rule.
    Nice job, Baron. Listen, my wife had a deer run into the side of the car the other day, do you want to borrow it to run for groceries?????

Post Thanks / Like

LOL... I've seen the damage those deer do and I think I'll pass. Back in another lifetime when I was painting for a living I was driving back to the city on a Sunday night and the Rambler Ambassador in front me hit a deer. Sure enough Monday morning it was hanging on the shop tow truck waiting for us to fix it.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, if it breaks or you break it, you replace it with new of like or better quality, no ifs, ands or buts!
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

very nice repair on that raggedy azz bumper. you may have been better off fixing the truck you blew up but bravo for returning what you borrowed and broke in pristine shape.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Perfect!

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't seen this before, dunno how I missed it.

This sounds unkind But I was having my coupla Almond Windmill cookies before bed...….and I saw it.

I COULDN'T STOP LAUGHING. Almost choked on the cookie.

The story of my life in a few pictures

I feel your pain......welcome to the club. It's an exclusive club, reserved for only the best

15. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great!!!!! Do you think it will handle something like this?

Name:  piv-vs-truck.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  67.3 KB

I'll be up there fixing this and putting something tougher than railroad track in front of it..

Post Thanks / Like

I'm old school (as I've been painfully reminded), but we just didn't do that kinda **** back in the day. First off...…...you got canned. Second....it was damn unprofessional.

When I was a kid, well 30somethin' is a kid. Used to be one of 3 dooooods that used to spot pigs at Star Rag in Denver. We were fast. Was a Big deal......cause it was a blind dock.....inside dock where the actual dock was inside a covered warehouse. You didn't see the back of the trailer because of the bright sun outside, and shadows inside. Slam 'n jam. We were Matt's go to guys. Hate it, sucky drop, but it was what ya put up with to stay on the top of the list.

One day, I tore a door off against the wall. They had to use a forklift to close the doors for me to get back to the rail hub. Boss got dunned for the damage. Was the BN, before it became BNSF.

I got reamed when I got back to the shop. "These guys are tryin' to put me outta business" He never said "you"...…..was always "these guys". He was an old timer. And I was good at what I did. We got along in a sorta way. This was considered a blip on the radar...……….BUT I WENT IN THERE WITH MY HAT IN MY HAND, AND MY TAIL BETWEEN MY LEGS. You call that respect, and knowing what it takes for the dood to come up with the clams to make yer paycheck. Never happened again...…..got out of the truck to see where the azz end was after that.

Got sent out to Greeley for a bean load that afternoon. These loads were reserved for guys with seniority, and guys that were on the "A" list. Sit there for about an hour and a half while they hand stacked the sacks on the trailer (great time to catch some Z's). This was a time when people got along, and you got recognized for yer ability, and gave yer boss respect for his end of the deal.

Got hired because someone quit, and there was a truck sitting idle. One of those deals...…...go thru the phonebook, and "Y'all lookin' for drivers?". Go down, dood sizes ya up, take a ride in the truck...……..and start that day.

Dood tosses me the keys to a little IH single axle...…..God Only Knows when it was built. Sorta cabover gas rig, FOUR ON THE COLUMN. Tells me, and another dood (sorta new guy) that we needed to go out some siding, and unload a rail car. Turned out to be a treasure hunt...….dig thru tons of stuff to see which stuff had the right shipping labels on it for our company. We moved that **** off the boxcar onto a skip trailer. Took most of the morning. Not one word from the boss (Matt). We got it done, and dropped the skip on the dock. Guy gives me the keys to one of the newer twin screws, and I rode that gal till I quit, and moved on. Coupla years. He died of a heart attack, right in dispatch, and I quit a day later. Couldn't handle his pansy boys that took over. Pansy is a harsh word...….I really mean kids that didn't work up to their responsibility...…..need to pay some dues before they took over.

This was my ticket out of the mountains, and the prize of working in the city. I hated the mountains. Ya made better money running the hills, but the stress was a killer. Did a few more stints up there after this, but mostly stayed in the city for the remainder of the time I spent behind the wheel. Not being a big headed doood, but city drivers have their **** together. Total concentration, total control.

I had a job where all I did was spot trailers at The Denver Post. They had a Hertz rental single axle GMC with the Silver 90 IIRC. I sat, parked on the corner of the apron, and slept all night (REALLY). You'd wear a pager (ya, that dates me), and when it beeped, ya called (they still had pay phones on the corner in those days), and the dock boss told ya what trailer, and where it went...……………..

If it was a swap...……...you'd pull the loaded trailer out, take it to the yard, then hook an empty,, go back downtown, and put it in the hole.

I think the Post was at California and 15th (?), maybe 14th, been a while. But, anyways...……..it was a full traffic street...….all times of the day. And sometimes my shift was during daytime, and rush hour.

Pull the trailer in front of the dock, out of traffic, up on the sidewalk.

Keep an eye on the traffic light at the street behind ya. Then when it turned red, and all the cars waiting had passed...…….pull that sucker across all lanes at an angle to the dock.

While this was goin' on...……..the next traffic light cycle happened, and now ya got a ton of cars blocked.

The smart ones gave ya some distance. The morons (nothing changes to this day) would crowd ya, right up to the trailer.

Time to put the Fear Of God in 'em. Pop that clutch, and hit the brakes in a few feet. Make that trailer come towards their hoods, and make it rock over their heads. They quit inching up. But ya better make damn sure you could slide that trailer in the hole in one shot. Guys...……..I was actually that good. And I was young at one time (shrug). Time goes on, and we tend to make a big deal out of our youth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I'm old school (as I've been painfully reminded), but we just didn't do that kinda **** back in the day. First off...…...you got canned. Second....it was damn unprofessional.

When I was a kid, well 30somethin' is a kid. Used to be one of 3 dooooods that used to spot pigs at Star Rag in Denver. We were fast. Was a Big deal......cause it was a blind dock.....inside dock where the actual dock was inside a covered warehouse. You didn't see the back of the trailer because of the bright sun outside, and shadows inside. Slam 'n jam. We were Matt's go to guys. Hate it, sucky drop, but it was what ya put up with to stay on the top of the list.

One day, I tore a door off against the wall. They had to use a forklift to close the doors for me to get back to the rail hub. Boss got dunned for the damage. Was the BN, before it became BNSF.

I got reamed when I got back to the shop. "These guys are tryin' to put me outta business" He never said "you"...…..was always "these guys". He was an old timer. And I was good at what I did. We got along in a sorta way. This was considered a blip on the radar...……….BUT I WENT IN THERE WITH MY HAT IN MY HAND, AND MY TAIL BETWEEN MY LEGS. You call that respect, and knowing what it takes for the dood to come up with the clams to make yer paycheck. Never happened again...…..got out of the truck to see where the azz end was after that.

Got sent out to Greeley for a bean load that afternoon. These loads were reserved for guys with seniority, and guys that were on the "A" list. Sit there for about an hour and a half while they hand stacked the sacks on the trailer (great time to catch some Z's). This was a time when people got along, and you got recognized for yer ability, and gave yer boss respect for his end of the deal.

Got hired because someone quit, and there was a truck sitting idle. One of those deals...…...go thru the phonebook, and "Y'all lookin' for drivers?". Go down, dood sizes ya up, take a ride in the truck...……..and start that day.

Dood tosses me the keys to a little IH single axle...…..God Only Knows when it was built. Sorta cabover gas rig, FOUR ON THE COLUMN. Tells me, and another dood (sorta new guy) that we needed to go out some siding, and unload a rail car. Turned out to be a treasure hunt...….dig thru tons of stuff to see which stuff had the right shipping labels on it for our company. We moved that **** off the boxcar onto a skip trailer. Took most of the morning. Not one word from the boss (Matt). We got it done, and dropped the skip on the dock. Guy gives me the keys to one of the newer twin screws, and I rode that gal till I quit, and moved on. Coupla years. He died of a heart attack, right in dispatch, and I quit a day later. Couldn't handle his pansy boys that took over. Pansy is a harsh word...….I really mean kids that didn't work up to their responsibility...…..need to pay some dues before they took over.

This was my ticket out of the mountains, and the prize of working in the city. I hated the mountains. Ya made better money running the hills, but the stress was a killer. Did a few more stints up there after this, but mostly stayed in the city for the remainder of the time I spent behind the wheel. Not being a big headed doood, but city drivers have their **** together. Total concentration, total control.

I had a job where all I did was spot trailers at The Denver Post. They had a Hertz rental single axle GMC with the Silver 90 IIRC. I sat, parked on the corner of the apron, and slept all night (REALLY). You'd wear a pager (ya, that dates me), and when it beeped, ya called (they still had pay phones on the corner in those days), and the dock boss told ya what trailer, and where it went...……………..

If it was a swap...……...you'd pull the loaded trailer out, take it to the yard, then hook an empty,, go back downtown, and put it in the hole.

I think the Post was at California and 15th (?), maybe 14th, been a while. But, anyways...……..it was a full traffic street...….all times of the day. And sometimes my shift was during daytime, and rush hour.

Keep an eye on the traffic light at the street behind ya. Then when it turned red, and all the cars waiting had passed...…….pull that sucker across all lanes at an angle to the dock.

While this was goin' on...……..the next traffic light cycle happened, and now ya got a ton of cars blocked.

The smart ones gave ya some distance. The morons (nothing changes to this day) would crowd ya, right up to the trailer.

Time to put the Fear Of God in 'em. Pop that clutch, and hit the brakes in a few feet. Make that trailer come towards their hoods, and make it rock over their heads. They quit inching up. But ya better make damn sure you could slide that trailer in the hole in one shot. Guys...……..I was actually that good. And I was young at one time (shrug). Time goes on, and we tend to make a big deal out of our youth.
    good post samm; when i screwed up i accepted the azz chewing that came after. can't be wrong and strong. always gave respect to those higher on the chain of command and expected the same in return and mostly got it.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Great Job.
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

20. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwelder View Post
    very nice repair on that raggedy azz bumper. you may have been better off fixing the truck you blew up but bravo for returning what you borrowed and broke in pristine shape.
    2 months later and I'm still waiting on parts to fix the old Dodge so switching trucks was definitely the right move... it also made the difference of hauling 400 bushels at a time v.s. 640.... I'd still be drying.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Looks great!!!!! Do you think it will handle something like this?

Name:  piv-vs-truck.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  67.3 KB

I'll be up there fixing this and putting something tougher than railroad track in front of it..
    Not a hope... but I wouldn't have got lazy and allowed the bumper to run into that intentionally either. Some days you just gotta hate yourself a little...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post

When I see semi's turning towards me I like to stop well back behind the stop sign. The morons with their noses sticking out have to sit there and wait while the semi driver tries not to run over their hood.... shake my head every time.
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

When I see semi's turning towards me I like to stop well back behind the stop sign. The morons with their noses sticking out have to sit there and wait while the semi driver tries not to run over their hood.... shake my head every time.
    I know what you mean... sometimes I have to stop my self from getting out of the truck, walking up to their vehicle, tapping on the window and just ask them what they were thinking!!!

Another favorite pastime of mine is when I see someone floor it trying to make a left turn light and then chicken out at the last minute but still go clear over the big white line! If I'm not in a hurry and going the same route I'll pull up far enough behind them that my truck is not near the sensor loop... LOL some lights are very sensor dependent and will go through several cycles before the left light goes to green

Post Thanks / Like

Well... I left my old Dodge sitting in the snowbank all winter to teach it a lesson, but I'm not sure which one of us is getting it now. Ordered a new driveshaft for it and dragged it into the shop to fix the original culprit, a broken parking brake drum off the end of the 5 spd. tranny. It split and piled up the brake lining.... stalled the engine at 65 mph going down a hill with 425 bushels of wet wheat in the back. Ripped up some mounting bolts and broke the driveshaft in 3 places. Changed it out with a used one only to find out the driveshaft I picked up in January had the wrong U joints on it. Over a week ago I found 3 sets... one in Quebec that nobody wants to touch, one in Coquitlam BC and a set in Edmonton.... still waiting on the set from Edmonton. Getting parts during a plague isn't fun...

Name:  DSCN5120.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  88.5 KBName:  DSCN5122.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  74.2 KBName:  DSCN5122-001.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  40.1 KBName:  DSCN5117.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  189.8 KBName:  DSCN5128.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  71.6 KB

Of course the sucker isn't light and I had to start installing before I realized the joints were wrong, so I got to make yet one more attachment for my floor jack...
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

26. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist