+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Helium tank

Post Thanks / Like

Helium tank

I have an opportunity to buy an aluminum helium tank, I think it's about a 125 cubic foot bottle, they want $50.00 for it with a balloon attachment. Does anyone know if it could be filled with CO2 as I have no use for the helium, I think the price is very good, don't know if it has any gas in it or not. What do y'all think?
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Helium tank

As far as I know helium uses a valve similar to argon , so co2 would be different.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking more along the lines, hoping my supplier would swap, they have offered to do this with one of my C25 bottles, exchanging for straight Argon and paying for the gas, completely fair IMO.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

I would check to if been tested in last 5 years. If great it my have fail the last test.
    If you fill with CO2 you can no longer fill with other gas.
    I do not know why.
    You will need to have a value for C02.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I have an opportunity to buy an aluminum helium tank, I think it's about a 125 cubic foot bottle, they want $50.00 for it with a balloon attachment. Does anyone know if it could be filled with CO2 as I have no use for the helium, I think the price is very good, don't know if it has any gas in it or not. What do y'all think?

Post Thanks / Like

What are the typical helium tank pressures?
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Helium comes in handy when Tig welding thick aluminum. Pretty much cut the AMPS in half from using 100 % argon.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Ask your gas supplier about exchanging for CO2. My dealer will exchange bottles of same size for different gas.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Helium comes in handy when Tig welding thick aluminum. Pretty much cut the AMPS in half from using 100 % argon.
    I guess that would be great "IF" I had an AC machine for doing aluminum, or will helium allow aluminum on DC.
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can use DCEN with 90 % plus helium.
    https://www.esabna.com/us/en/educati...g-aluminum.cfm
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Yes you can use DCEN with 90 % plus helium.
    https://www.esabna.com/us/en/educati...g-aluminum.cfm
    Thanks Carl
    I have never messed with tig at all, and done limited amount of aluminum with mig and even less with the stick electrodes, I guess for $50.00 I'll grab the tank & play around some.
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

For 50 I'd do a visual and if it looks good grab it on principle. (IMO you can never have too many cylinders. I never run out of gas because since cylinders don't depreciate I snag all the deals I can.)

If it looks like this https://gascylindersource.com/shop/i...lium-cylinder/ then it's similar to the common CO2 cylinders and they may swap for one of those but CO2 has a different CGA-320 valve. You may also be able to swap for MIG mix or anything that comes with a CGA-580 cylinder valve.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    For 50 I'd do a visual and if it looks good grab it on principle. (IMO you can never have too many cylinders. I never run out of gas because since cylinders don't depreciate I snag all the deals I can.)

If it looks like this https://gascylindersource.com/shop/i...lium-cylinder/ then it's similar to the common CO2 cylinders and they may swap for one of those but CO2 has a different CGA-320 valve. You may also be able to swap for MIG mix or anything that comes with a CGA-580 cylinder valve.
    My thoughts too. If I can't use it as is I'll swap it for an argon cylinder and carry on.
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Helium tank

Balloon helium generally has a percentage of oxygen added to it for folks that suck on the helium for the old Mickey Mouse effect dont suffocate themselves. So it’s not usable for welding.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Balloon helium generally has a percentage of oxygen added to it for folks that suck on the helium for the old Mickey Mouse effect dont suffocate themselves. So it’s not usable for welding.
    While that is true for parade floats, it is not true for compressed helium cylinders nor the party tanks you can get in many stores. Those, and normal helium balloons all use pure helium only. Mixing oxygen into compressed gas cylinders that are prepared for inert gasses can be very dangerous.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist