+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Welding hood rear "curtain"

Post Thanks / Like

Welding hood rear "curtain"

I found some sleeves at Harbor Freight that I dissected to use on the back of my hood, I think they will work great and only cost me about 7 or 8 bucks.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding hood rear "curtain"

Interesting, is it to protect your head/neck from hot sparks? how did you attach it to your helmet?
    Ken from ontario,Canada.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it to block ambient light, but it will protect from sparks, etc. too. I haven't attached it yet, but I'm looking at snaps, staples, screws & nuts or maybe pop-rivets.
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a hooded shirt from Goodwill and cut the hood off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of partial to velcro sewn on the flap and sticky back for the helmet side.

Post Thanks / Like

Once you get the back sealed off enough to keep the light out and the sparks off, isn't ventilation going to become an issue? Both in terms of getting fresh air to breath and keeping the lens from fogging?
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post

* 100% cotton
    ----
    Hobart Handler 175 MIG
    Primeweld 225X TIG
    https://www.mylilmule.us

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Once you get the back sealed off enough to keep the light out and the sparks off, isn't ventilation going to become an issue? Both in terms of getting fresh air to breath and keeping the lens from fogging?
    I would think and certainly hope that air would be a non issue, the curtain is to help block ambient light entering from the rear, certainly that's a problem for all of us, or am I the only oddball here.
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post

thats a good idea. i welded 36" pipes together from inside a couple yrs ago. they were lined w/ white smooth cement, that relected pretty good off heavy innershield. i duct taped them blue medical rags on back of my hood. they also cought fire once. the hood thing - much better maybe even one of them detachable carhart hoods, meant to snap on under the collar of a winter carhart jacket. also, first thing i do to a welding hood, if it aint already, is spray paint the inside flat black

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I would think and certainly hope that air would be a non issue, the curtain is to help block ambient light entering from the rear, certainly that's a problem for all of us, or am I the only oddball here.
    For Sure............
    Pete
    Everlast i210 with 200a spool gun
    Everlast i140e
    LOTOS LTP5000D Non-Touch Pilot Arc

"Things are never so bad that they can't get worse...."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Totally a non issue. I've had a piece of black flannel like material on the back and sides of mine for years, switched it to my new helmet when my old helmet died. It's a beautiful thing in terms of keeping out ambient light. Now and then I flip it up just to see what welding is like with light pouring into the inside of my helmet and every time I can't get it flipped back down quick enough.

Mine is a big square/rectangle of cloth which i like much better than fastening on a sweatshirt hood or similar. The square of cloth doesn't require you to fit your head up into the hood piece, it just adapts to however you put your helmet on and however you move.

I have no idea why most weldors don't add that feature because it's SO much easier to see what you're doing. The down side is that it's a bit fiddly, and I guess not everyone wants to fool with it plus people get used to doing things a particular way, adapt and prefer not to change.

Fresh air - I also wear a 3M respirator 100% of the time I'm welding in addition to the cloth and have zero problems breathing.

Attaching it to the helmet - I used good quality electrical tape, not the cheap stuff which is miserable. It's never come loose, peels off easily if you want to change the cloth, sticks to both cloth and helmet and is black, matching the cloth and the helmet. Just put a little stretch on it when applying it.
    Last edited by JD1; 01-04-2020 at 10:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a simple $11 welders hat at Runnings. Works good all over the shop for anything. Makes me look like Casey Jones met Goober

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist