Thread: Cut&etch

Post Thanks / Like

Cut&etch

I've never done this before, so I thought I'd give it a try.
    I like it.

Name:  cut&etch.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  201.2 KB
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cut&etch

Nice work. What liquid did you use as an etchant? I tend to use Naval Jelly Rust Remover as it works well for me.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, rustremover. Not the Loctite naval jelly, but HG which is a Dutch brand.
    Both are based on phosphoric acid.
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Nice work. What liquid did you use as an etchant? I tend to use Naval Jelly Rust Remover as it works well for me.
    Oscar, have you tried to use mag wheel cleaner as an etchant? It has phosphoric acid in it. I've tried it and got "light" results. I don't know for certain, but believe different brands have different amounts of phosphoric acid.

Post Thanks / Like

Phosphoric acid can be purchased quite inexpensively at Home Depot or Lowes, just saying. Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE.Dee View Post
    Oscar, have you tried to use mag wheel cleaner as an etchant? It has phosphoric acid in it. I've tried it and got "light" results. I don't know for certain, but believe different brands have different amounts of phosphoric acid.
    I found the safety data sheets for both the HG rustremover and the Loctite Naval Jelly on the internet.
    The HG contains 50-75% phosphoric acid and the Naval Jelly only 10-30%. I had very quick and clear results yesterday.
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BillE.Dee View Post
    That's a pretty expensive solution when Naval Jelly is super cheap, and will last for years, unless you are etching 100 ft² of welds every day. I've had my bottle for more than two years, and have not used more than 5% of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I found Naval Jelly to be rather frustrating. Now and then it works (newish bottle) but the polish and warmth of the part have to be just right. I've experimented over and over using it different ways and for me it usually just gets faint results. Often too faint to see the penetration of the weld metal.

I bought 2 little bottles of 85% Phosphoric Acid off the internet and they work better but it's not the immediate and clear results I've seen in some of Jody's videos. He has used Naval Jelly (which is where I found out about it) but there's another chemical he uses that works way better. I just can't remember the name of it.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Klean strip concrete and metal prep, 35%-45% phosphoric acid concentration, works pretty much immediately, available at home depot, has dual usage as a great painting prep and rust converter (similar to ospho). $18 for 1 gallon here
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-St...0220/100406369
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 12-29-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    I found Naval Jelly to be rather frustrating. Now and then it works (newish bottle) but the polish and warmth of the part have to be just right. I've experimented over and over using it different ways and for me it usually just gets faint results. Often too faint to see the penetration of the weld metal.

I bought 2 little bottles of 85% Phosphoric Acid off the internet and they work better but it's not the immediate and clear results I've seen in some of Jody's videos. He has used Naval Jelly (which is where I found out about it) but there's another chemical he uses that works way better. I just can't remember the name of it.
    I haven't had any issues with the polish that I do, and the temperature here is never too cold thankfully. I do 40-60 grit 2" roloc to remove the bandsaw marks, then maroon roloc, then blue roloc. Then I swab naval jelly on the joint for about 10sec, then leave for another couple minutes or so. Works for me. Do you happen to leave it on too long?

Post Thanks / Like

That pulsed stuff is pretty impressive. IIRC it's limited to flat welds?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    That pulsed stuff is pretty impressive. IIRC it's limited to flat welds?
    Nope. You're thinking regular 'axial spray' transfer. Pulse MIG is really "pulsed spray transfer", the main advantage is that you can get the advantages of spray transfer in out-of-position welding (secondary advantage is practically zero spatter when dialed in correctly). Those welds were done at 175A on a 200A-class pulse MIG, using the pre-programmed pulse program for 030 steel wire on 92/8 Ar/CO2.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool...……...shows what I don't know.