Thread: Path to Becoming a Travel Welder? (Job post example below)

Post Thanks / Like

Path to Becoming a Travel Welder? (Job post example below)

Hi everyone, I'm looking into going to a vocational school for welding. My goal is to become a travel welder doing temporary/seasonal/contract jobs around the country (or world if that's possible) below is an example of a job posting of something I'm interested in. I have no experience whatsoever in welding but I love what I'm learning so far. Do you have any advice on a path I might be able to take starting now with 0 experience to qualify for a job such as this? I'm also interested in off shore welding and just whatever I can find along the road. I'm looking into either getting a small RV or a DIY Van conversion. I'm currently 24 years old, (25 in March 2020) and I don't have any a wife/gf/children so I don't have anything holding me back from this type of life style. Please let me know any thoughts!

Thank you much!

Here is the link to the website where I found this job: https://www.coolworks.com/pae/jobs
    This is the program I'm looking to attend: https://www.apollocareercenter.com/a...plate-welding/

6G WELDER / FABRICATOR
    MCMURDO, ANTARCTICA
    GENERAL DUTIES (not all inclusive):
    - Maintains a safe workplace and ensures that safety is the highest priority in the workplace.
    - Accomplishes manual welding tasks on equipment and construction projects.
    - Performs cutting, fitting, and welding of metal components, including plate, structural steel, and pipe.
    - Accomplishes welding of various types of metals including mild steel, stainless steel and aluminum.
    - Advises VMF management on job progress and material requirements.
    - May be required to work outside at various job sites in extreme cold weather conditions.
    - Complies with all ASC Environmental, Health & Safety, and Quality Assurance requirements and goals. Provides documentation as necessary to ensure adequate legal documentation.
    - Performs physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors.
    - Performs other duties as required.
    REQUIREMENTS:
    - High school graduate or GED is required.
    - Current 6G weld certification at time of hire is required.
    - Must have valid driver’s license.
    - A minimum four years’ experience in all phases of welding and fabrication is required.
    - Experience working with a wide variety of materials is highly preferred.
    - The ability to read and analyze shop drawings and blueprints is preferred.
    - Experience in an industrial or equipment repair environment is required.
    - Cold weather welding experience is preferred.
    - Willingness and ability to deploy to Antarctica for extended periods is required.
    - Must be willing and able to lift and move items, parts, assemblies and equipment.
    - Must be willing and able to perform physical activities including heavy lifting, climbing in and out of equipment, crawling, and working outdoors.
    - Must successfully complete physical, dental and psychological (if applicable) examinations as required by the NSF for deployment to Antarctica.
    - Must participate in community programs, such as “house-mouse” (chores), “daisy-picking” (cleaning-up around the station), recycling efforts & safety objectives.
    - US citizenship or Permanent US Resident status is required.
    To Apply, Click HERE
    An Equal Opportunity Employer. PAE’s hiring practices provide equal opportunity for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender, national origin, age, United States military veteran’s status, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, family structure, medical condition including genetic characteristics or information, veteran status, or mental or physical disability so long as the essential functions of the job can be performed with or without reasonable accommodation, or any other protected category under federal, state, or local law.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Path to Becoming a Travel Welder? (Job post example below)

Welcome! No family will make it much easier, My daughter had a boyfriend that was a construction/contractor pipe welder, being gone was a constant point of contention because he couldn't keep it in his pants, spread his seed from east to west, north to south with at least 4 children that he does nothing for, he tries to see my granddaughter but contributes nothing for her care, she is 7 and really wants nothing to do with her father, and it has nothing to do with my daughter making comments, she tries to encourage her to talk to him, but she doesn't want too. He's just a real life pos.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
    We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream".
    RONALD REAGAN

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered a Union apprenticeship ?? I did mine 50 years ago and now collect a decent pension and have a 401 K. Once you get your journeyman card you can travel to different locals that are reciprocal and still get your benefits. Dong this will not cost you any money for schooling.
    I know many here hate and complain about Unions. Get into the United Association , a real union and not some little city one.

Post Thanks / Like

I was offered "sky high pay" in 1973 to weld on new construction in Richmond VA ($225/HR after adjusting for inflation)

I am so glad I passed,, I ended up getting an engineering degree, and had a great life,, with welding as my hobby.

Be careful about the "dream", watch some YouTube videos,, travel welding is not all that it is cracked up to be,,

The pay they talk about is good,, but, it is tough getting enough hours per year to make it,,
    There are an awful lot of guys trying to get by "Living The Dream"!!

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, talk to the military. Seriously. You're at the outer limits in terms of age, if I remember right, but it's a fantastic way to learn your trade, get experience, and not come out of pocket one dime. I wish to god someone had kicked me in the butt when I was a kid and made that happen because 20 years goes by very very quick and it'd have been nice to end up with a retirement at 40.

Yea, you give up a lot to join the military, but not nearly as much as you might think. Maybe you can't go out for beers whenever you want, but you also get job security, housing and travel. I've got friends who went in right out of high school and the stories they can tell are legendary. Ever weld in Italy? Been to Germany, France, Singapore or just sailed the high seas for months on end? There aren't many jobs you can get as a civilian that will allow you that much opportunity!

Plus, even a few years of training will open doors for you that you just can't imagine.

Much as I hate unions, I have to agree with BD1 that they make work for their members. They might drive up the costs for the end-user, but there's something to say for taking care of their people. I know a guy who got into the union in Las Vegas way back in the 70's as a stagehand. His name can now be seen in the credits on some blockbuster movies and he's pretty much set for life. Got to travel all over the world helping to put up concerts for folks like Miley Cyrus and is drawing a nice retirement payment every month with the option of going back to work any time he wants even if it's for just one show. I might hate unions, but I'll be honest about them. Every job I ever got canned on wouldn't have been a problem if I'd had union representation, and I likely would have gotten paid a whole lot better.

My nephew won't consider the military even though he's in his prime. As a result, he's gotta come out of pocket for his training in diesel mechanics, answer to a boss, juggle his bank account, etc. All of that happens in the military, but at least you have a clear path to a career and a retirement. It's kinda funny, too, because he's gotta step quick when his boss tells him to do something, just like in the military, has to report for duty on time and presentable just like in the military, etc. The differences between civilian and military really aren't that different when you start examining them.

Another option would be the Merchant Marines. You want to travel.... they certainly do that!

Going over the road isn't nearly as good for the civilian as you might think. While you get paid decent money, you also have to come out for all your expenses, and living OTR is expensive. You won't have it as bad as a long-haul trucker, sure, but you'll still get hit with a lot of expenses you weren't expecting. Even if it's having to buy groceries more often, or going out to eat instead of cooking on your dinky little stove, those dollars add up quick.

Not saying you shouldn't get into it. Just keep your eyes open to the realities of it all.

6. Likes Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Firstly, talk to the military. Seriously. You're at the outer limits in terms of age, if I remember right, but it's a fantastic way to learn your trade, get experience, and not come out of pocket one dime. I wish to god someone had kicked me in the butt when I was a kid and made that happen because 20 years goes by very very quick and it'd have been nice to end up with a retirement at 40.

Yea, you give up a lot to join the military, but not nearly as much as you might think. Maybe you can't go out for beers whenever you want, but you also get job security, housing and travel. I've got friends who went in right out of high school and the stories they can tell are legendary. Ever weld in Italy? Been to Germany, France, Singapore or just sailed the high seas for months on end? There aren't many jobs you can get as a civilian that will allow you that much opportunity!
    A few years ago the upped the minium age for new recruits to 35ish, and re-enlistment to the 40's, not trying to start an argument; but 24-25 is still prime time for them.
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

8. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mac's Crew View Post
    A few years ago the upped the minium age for new recruits to 35ish...

Can't beat that! I wish I could invent a time machine and travel back to when I was a dumb kid.

10. Likes Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Must have valid driver’s license.
    That is there to screen out the drunks.

They also should have had the requirement to piss clean.