Thread: Boroscope/endoscope recommendation?

Post Thanks / Like

Boroscope/endoscope recommendation?

Anybody found a scope they really like? Interested in getting one but there are a lot of choices out there. Primary use will be to look inside engine cylinders. Can hook up to a PC or android phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boroscope/endoscope recommendation?

I have a cheapo HF one. Don't like it at all. The lighting feature comes down to "none" or "not enough." And the range of focus (obviously fixed) is annoying. More or less, you only see about 2-3 square inches of what is directly in front of the lens. If you want to look at the valves through the spark plug hole, see if you can find one that has a "built in mirror"/angle feature. I don't risk clipping the cheesy mirror on mine and having it fall of in the cylinder.

Post Thanks / Like

I use this one, works GREAT put it inside engines before I buy them all the time, use it alot when reassembling 5.9 cummins engines

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Te...8279952&sr=8-3

I added a mark on TOP of camera to help me orient which is up, my brother owns a septic pumping business, he bought one of these for checking how far tanks are from the cleanouts... he can attest its water proof LOL, I put it in most of the walls while rebuilding my house which had sat boarded up for 12 years... got some very clear pics of packrats in their nests as well as more than a few p#ssed off crevise weaver female spiders (they are huge and very aggresive and ended up infesting every wall of the house.. my sister kept asking me to catch her one to study in a jar but fr some strange reason I never could keep from terminating em before they made it to any jar)
    Last edited by monsoon-mech; 01-05-2020 at 10:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have one for an android phone that is pretty decent, and it was less than 20 bucks. Check Amazon. I had a pretty nice one at work, about 5.5 mm and kinda short, probably 3 ft, but one of the idiots I ended up with as employees did something to the end, almost looked like it got wire brushed, you could drop the end in through an injector bore or spark plug hole and get a good view off the cylinder. The USB scope for Android phones was used to inspect the ductwork under our house.
    Last edited by CAVEMANN; 01-05-2020 at 10:38 PM.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

Boroscope/endoscope recommendation?

I got this one off amazon. Works great. No complaints. The mirror and accessories thread on instead of clip on. There is a thread protector on the end just like on a threaded barrel

NIDAGE Wireless Endoscope for Automotive Inspection Semi-Rigid Flexible Waterproof 5.5MM WiFi Borescope Camera Compatible Android and iOS Smartphones, iPhone, iPad (4.92FT) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C9C6P5D..._Ez0gEb6W6HGGX
    Last edited by soutthpaw; 01-12-2020 at 11:20 AM.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monsoon-mech View Post
    I use this one, works GREAT

I added a mark on TOP of camera to help me orient which is up,
    I got one at Costco a couple years ago that looks a lot like the one you linked and I am pretty happy with it but sometimes like you said I can't tell which way is up, how did you mark the camera, with a sharpie?
    Miller Challenger 172
    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC 225/150
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Victor 100C
    Victor Journeyman
    Oxweld OA
    Harris O/A
    Smith O/A little torch

No, that's not my car.

Post Thanks / Like

yea I used a fine line silver one... now I orientate it correctly everytime.. my brother actually marked the lens on his with a dot somehow that shows up in the top of the image that I don't know how he did it, he has alota freinds that work out at Raytheon I suspect he asked onea them for a "favor"
    Last edited by monsoon-mech; 01-12-2020 at 08:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

They all hurt just about the same if'n ya don't lube 'em.