+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 110dc power to 110ac power

Post Thanks / Like

110dc power to 110ac power

Hi guys I’ve got a Lincoln sa200 blackface which puts out 110dc aux power does anyone have any ideas how that can be changed to 110ac for powering varies pieces of electrical equipment which are not dc compatable ; any info would be appreciated

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 110dc power to 110ac power

I think about the best you can do is put a large output alternator on the engine, use a good sized battery and run a power invertor. I've had several of those machines and the lack of AC power is part of the reason I moved on to Miller Trailblazers.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an inverter for my truck. It makes 120 AC from 12 DC. What is available able to work from fluctuating voltage, I don't know. I assume you towed this welder to the job.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

You can get inverters for higher DC voltages also 24,48,96,120,+++ but they'll cost more than $49.95

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for your reply's , is the inverter the only way to go & would they power a 7" grinder that requires 15 amps , I've been told by various people that dc power will burn out grinder switches & do all kinds of damage to other power tools ,drills lights cordless chargers etc ! So this is why I'm trying to come up with a different plan for proper power! Btw does anyone on the web know how to identify the age of Canadian made sa 200 generators as they don't have code numbers or any letters or numbers stamped on the barrel , I have 4 sa200 machines 3 hex barrels engines dated 1973 -1974 1 round barrel 1942 stamped on engine ,& 1 round barrel generator only no numbers anywhere?

Post Thanks / Like

You should probably should shoot for powering a good 4 1/2" if going inverter.

Most 7" draw between 11 and 15 amps. I have a high quality inverter that is only good for bit over 10 amps AC and it draws 127 amps of DC.

You would need some big batteries and pretty good charging system to not succumb to the load. If it was limited use and run time in between was a bit.

Thinking a small generator may almost be as useful and cost about the same all said and done. Inverters eat DC battery power for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

SA-200's been powering grinders for decades.

Just look on the grinder tag, it'll say if it's AC/DC.

Drills, or anything else with a variable speed switch, are generally not. But again, look at the tag.

For small AC power, an inverter off your battery like said above - or Honda 2000 watt.

Here is just one example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...-31A/203405174
    Last edited by MinnesotaDave; 01-12-2020 at 11:27 PM.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to look for power tools rate for 120 DC.
    I even a rod heater on 120 DC

The old welder generator only 120 DC.
    If want 120 AC just add a belt drive generator.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by little charlie View Post
    Hi guys I’ve got a Lincoln sa200 blackface which puts out 110dc aux power does anyone have any ideas how that can be changed to 110ac for powering varies pieces of electrical equipment which are not dc compatable ; any info would be appreciated
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see new tools rated for DC, but 50 years ago most all hand tools would run DC as well as AC. Not sure that will work these days.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I don't see new tools rated for DC, but 50 years ago most all hand tools would run DC as well as AC. Not sure that will work these days.
    You can still get AC/DC stuff.

https://www.ebay.com/c/25024432294

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Produc...nders/6121-31A

https://milwaukeetool.com/Products/P...d-Saws/6238-20

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I think that option went out the window with electronic switches & speed control, I think any of the older drills & grinders will pretty much work, anyway that's what I was told by an old timer Locomotive Electrician. A 120v drill worked great on the 74 v dc in the Locos.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking to run something like 15 A at 120 V Your Cheapest option would probably be a 2000 W or bigger generator. Good quality inverters that are capable of 2000 W or more get expensive pretty quickly not to mention you'll need a bunch of other odds and ends to make that solution work.

Post Thanks / Like

My inverter for my van cost $275 it is 6000 watt continuous, but you won't do that long powered by a 200 watt truck alternator. I haven't had occasion to grind all day, or even run a cut off saw long term.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my service trucks had a 3000 watt inverter powered from a group 4D battery that also powered the crane, it was set up to charge when the truck was running through a constant duty relay solenoid. I was installing a drop axle on a dump truck and we ran off the inverter all day running the big Milwaukee drill and using 5" and 9" grinders doing cutoff work plus a lot of crane time. All that and the low volts alarm never came on. The truck had a 140 amp alternator and the battery stayed charged when you drove it, plus I had a 10 amp onboard charger that was plugged in every night.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok well thanks to all you guys for your valuable info & input, I guess my first thing to do is check if all the tools I would use are ac/dc or not / I’m not into replacing them if not so I will have to look at my options the belt drive generator seems to be a good option but I was thinking of running a belt drive compressor on the unit so I guess that would rule out 1 of the options will have to mull this over and see what the end result will be . My motto is there’s no such thing as you can’t lol

Post Thanks / Like

You never did say how much you had/wanted to spend to make it happen... $15... might take a lot of redneckin' 15 grand and no problemo you'll be up and running as soon as brown brings the box!!!

There are a lot of ways to skin this cat depending on the 'level' of work you want to put into it and the $$$$ of course and also just how good/authentic you want the power to be.... ie.... 170 p-p(120acv)pure sine or chopped 120 cd with a -60 bias or maybe some inbetween modified wave type of AC...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input ronsii just need enough power to run the tools you would need for a regular days work repairing heavy equipment without burning any of it out, not looking for anything for $15 or $1500 just something in between

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input ronsii just need enough power to run the tools you would need for a regular days work repairing heavy equipment without burning any of it out, not looking for anything for $15 or $1500 just something in between
    Do you have your SA200 on a service truck? You might try the inverter/big battery trick. Worked for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok well thanks to all you guys for your valuable info & input, I guess my first thing to do is check if all the tools I would use are ac/dc or not / I’m not into replacing them if not so I will have to look at my options the belt drive generator seems to be a good option but I was thinking of running a belt drive compressor on the unit so I guess that would rule out 1 of the options will have to mull this over and see what the end result will be . My motto is there’s no such thing as you can’t lol
    Belt drive gets fussy as there is no voltage regulator tied to your throttle. You won't have exactly 60 Hz, or 120 volts. Might be better with a generator from Harbor freight.

Post Thanks / Like

Running my 7in grinder at work and I checked. It will run on 110dc

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks willieb & ljmelius wouldn't e belt drive generator run at the proper rpm give you the proper 110 -115-or 120 volts ,interesting to see some of the grinders have ac & dc stamped on them , my makitas don't seem to have it stamped on them but the specs say that a 5" is ac dc will have to check on the rest of my tools asap ,

Post Thanks / Like

110dc power to 110ac power

Deleted
    Last edited by ljmelius; 01-15-2020 at 08:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The simplest AC generators only regulate speed to control frequency. A two pole generator has to turn 3600 RPM. A 4 pole needs 1800 RPM. This provides 60 HZ. If you have no governor linked to frequency, you won't have 60 HZ & might not have 120 volts. More sophisticated generators control both engine speed & field strength to regulate voltage.

There are inverter generators producing any which power, they then electronically convert to 120V 60 cycle.
    Last edited by Willie B; 01-16-2020 at 07:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks willie b I will have to look into this further I’ve got a buddy that knows more about electrical & generators than i do but he,s not around at the moment, will pick his brain when he gets back,

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist