Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: a few projects going on in the shop

Post Thanks / Like

Re: a few projects going on in the shop

That paystar looks like it will be a nice rig. One nice thing about building it yourself is now you have what you want
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

I just installed a diesel fired coolant heater on my cat 3406 what a pain in the rear it but finally starts the cold. ran the exhaust for it through the battery boxes so a little heat in there too takes about 30 minutes to get the block warm to the touch. now I'm going to install a coil that I rolled,21' of 3/4' pipe in the hydraulic system to help get that up to temperature but that requires draining the tank , 80 gallons, to install a new tank access so I will do it when I have a couple of things to fix that involve changing the hydraulic oil.
    the coil took about 2 hours of work to roll it around a piece of 6" pipe. and a bunch of heat
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

3. Likes ronsii, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had seen those heaters before... was curious how well they would work good idea on the other preheater things you came up with!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This one was a mil surplus its 26000 btu and burns about a quart an hour I should have bought a newer model but i just couldnt get one in 24 volt without waiting 6 weeks. I was suprised how fast stuff got warm. not even in the same ball park as a 110 volt coolant heater.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

6. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i haven't posted up on this thread any projects for a while but here is a little one Im just finishing up. its humorous how long something this simple takes to build but anyway I needed a right angle manifold for some hydraulic lines these are 300" 1" hoses so bout 700.00 a hose. This rig had some catywompus over the top clamp it on bothe sides thing that would work 99.9 of the time then a gust of wind, an act of god, butt cheeks clenched wrong, who knows why it would hang a hose up, rip it in half, and dump 20 gallons of oil on everybody, usually when the client is standing there. will see if this helps, hoses should hang straighter but will see. the threaded ports are 3/4 for drain line so I did them with oring port had all the tools to do that. I dont have all the stuff to do 1" oring yet. but the others I did in 1" npt I drilled the holes on the radial then centered them up in the lathe thats the indicating picture, taper bored them then single pointed the threads of course had to modify tools never have everything I need so had to turn down the boring bar pictures are in no order they are kind of like my mind. I hadn't see the broken cylinder pin mount until I looked at the pict, something else to fix.

8. Likes 12V71, albrightree, el bob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

another project going thankfully Im not the one paying on this my brother had a brake band break on his cable tool and dropped and bananaed the tower crushed the cab on the truck and broke the windshield. so he is just using the shop this is the second stage hoping to have the first stage built tomorrow its not as bowed as the picture but it might have to be ran threw the press to straighten it completely out has about a 1/4" of bow

10. Likes albrightree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    another project going thankfully Im not the one paying on this my brother had a brake band break on his cable tool and dropped and bananaed the tower crushed the cab on the truck and broke the windshield. so he is just using the shop this is the second stage hoping to have the first stage built tomorrow its not as bowed as the picture but it might have to be ran threw the press to straighten it completely out has about a 1/4" of bow
    Had a bit of experience with this, I built a top half for a B-E from scratch years ago after a guy wire anchor let go. Luckily the top head was still good and I could splice it on to the new mast section.

12. Likes idacal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    had some fun today the guys called yesterday and said the truck was acting up and did I want to come get them or just drive it, I told them to drive it. so we got it in the shop and realized the transfer case had spun a bearing we thought anyway. run to the scrap yard pick up a new transfer case Im almost back and they call and say that the back of the transmission is cracked as well that put a damper on what got done today. the planetary in the transfer case had locked up and broke the rear housing all but 2 bolts on the transmission. going to meet someone later who has a core transmission that maybe I can pull the tail housing off of. so instead, a lot of machining and shop work got done, finished up the gear cutting. Now have to start a lot of machining and welding and then machining again.here is some photos, the
    bearings are what we are going to use. the ring in the lathe gets welded to the gear and everything gets machined out and trued up bearings will be a light press fit. I dont know if this kind of work interests people or not?
    If that gear is going into a watch, that is going to be one heavy watch.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

we are in the deciding phase of building a bumper pull trailer for behind the new too us boom truck. I don't want to go air brake because then pick up towing is out. I know I can buy cheaper than build. But what im wanting, I would buy a trailer then cut it apart and rebuild a quarter of it. so Im doing the leg work on putting one together I know I want hydraulic disk brake im having issues finding a 99 spindle stripped axle anyone know were to find that? or just #99 spindles ?