+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Respirator filter alternatives

Post Thanks / Like

Respirator filter alternatives

Hey guys. I am a novice at home welder that only does a few projects a year. And generally just a quick build or repair on something small.

I am taking on a huge for me project this coming week and will we welding a lot. All MIG and regular steel. With the exception of some zinc coated parts. And I am aware of the awful crap that comes from welding coated parts. Those parts will all be quick tacks but those few welds are what has me the most worried. I will be grinding off the zinc where it will be welded.

I have a left over pair of P100 filters for my respirator I bought WAY back in 2016. And although the one pair left is still sealed up, the expatriation was 2018.

Seeing as these are now impossible to find, 2 questions.

One, is the expired filter still offering protection? and 2 what are some alternatives?

I have thought about building a small fume extractor of some sort to at least pull some of the smoke and fumes away. However I worry that i wont be able to make one that does a good enough job or pulls too much and pulls my welding gas away. I am sure my box fan will be way to much air movement.

thanks as always

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Respirator filter alternatives

I suspect the particulate filters like a p100 will work well past their expiration date. I also think you’d be able to smell the smoke if they aren’t working well. That said, it seems like various 3M filters are available, just more expensive than normal.

3. Likes C1ph3r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're right, the box fan will not work well. But if you can find a squirrel cage blower you can set it up to blow to the side of your welding and it can work very well. A little trial and error will tell you how close to your welding your air stream has to be to remove the smoke with out messing with your welding gas. Some times it will work best blowing over the top of your welding area. If you want an easy way to check air flow around your welding, just light a candle and watch the flame.

5. Likes C1ph3r liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say your primary hazard is from any grinding you do. That dust or particulate is more hazardous in my opinion than the fumes from welding mild steel. Think of grinding dust as being as hazardous in the long term as welding galvanized metal.
    The filters that are still sealed are fine.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

7. Likes C1ph3r, steve45 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate the added insight. I saw a home built fume extractor on the Miller forum made out of bathroom exhaust vents. I think I’ll try and make that along with my respirator.

Thank you all again. I do love this forum. It’s nice to post questions and get flamed all to hell.

Post Thanks / Like

The filters will be fine. An expiration date is required by the regulatory body and 5 yrs is pretty typical, but they don't turn into pumpkins at 5 yrs. Unless you stored them on the dash of a black car stored outside in Arizona year round, they should be fine. Take a look for any damage first, if you are concerned, and if none, then use them in confidence.
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

10. Likes C1ph3r, Munkul, 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You could always hold your breath...
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

Post Thanks / Like

It seems some kinds of filters and respirators have gone up in price considerably. I'm glad I already have two LPR-100's because the current price on them is easily twice what I paid a couple years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Is a p100 filter good for filtering out galvanized fumes? We use a cutting torch on galvanized every once and a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Just make sure the face seal fits you well and you are good to go. P100 is the highest filter efficiency available in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  3mtm-particulate-filter-2091-07000aad-p100-resp-protection.jpg
Views: 3805
Size:  29.1 KB

3M™ Particulate Filter 2091/07000(AAD), P100

Details
    Exceptional 99.97% filter efficiency meets NIOSH P100-series test criteria
    Advanced Electret Media (AEM) provides lightweight, easy breathing comfort
    Versatile protection against many oil and non-oil based particulate contaminants
    Bayonet compatibility allows use with many 3M™ half and full facepiece designs
    Wide range of applications reduces inventory needs and training requirements
    NIOSH approved for environments containing certain oil and non-oil based particles.

The 3M™ Particulate Filter 2091, P100 helps provide respiratory protection against exposure to lead, asbestos, cadmium, arsenic, and MDA. The filter is effective for concentrations up to 10 times the Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL) with half facepieces, or 50 times PEL with quantitatively fit tested full facepieces. This filter helps protect against a wide range of oil and non-oil based particulate contaminants. 3M’s Advanced Electret Media (AEM) provides a comfortable lightweight, easy-breathing combination. The 2091 is commonly used for welding, brazing, torch cutting, metal pouring and soldering. Inventory needs and training requirements of safety equipment are reduced because this filter works for many different applications. The filter is both flame and water resistant. Industries where this filter is commonly used include agriculture, construction, general manufacturing, pharmaceuticals and primary metals.

The filter works with a wide range of facepieces, including 3M™ Half and Full Facepieces 6000, 7000 and FF-400 Series. If used with 3M™ Adapter 502, the filter may also be used with 3M™ Respirator 5000 Series or 3M™ Cartridge 6000 Series. The filter is NIOSH (National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health) approved for environments containing certain oil and non-oil based particles. The filter has been assigned the color code “magenta” in the NIOSH system. Passing NIOSH’s P-series test criteria, the 2091 P100 filter provides at least 99.97 percent filter efficiency against particles.

Breathing hazardous particles can pose a risk to your health. NIOSH, a Federal government regulatory agency, has tested and approved the 3M™ Particulate Filter 2091 to help reduce exposure to certain particles.

Used with a 7500 series half face respirator which is reasonably priced, and fairly comfortable. These cartridges a made specifically for welding cutting brazing, and soldering. I believe they have a small amount of activated carbon to help with fumes from the cutting and flux vapors.. I also use 3M- 8212 (N95) face mask with similar properties (cutting welding soldering).
    Its always a good idea to check the manufactures recomendations when deciding which one to use. When in doubt though, any mask is generally better than none in a nuisance situation. Nuisance meaning exposure to something that won't cause severe immediate harm from exposure. Like grinding dust or welding fumes.

good luck https://www.weldingweb.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  28.4 KB

Well... if you want economical and disposable....
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  28.4 KB

Well... if you want economical and disposable....
    Plus with that Stay Fresh all Day Feeling!
    -Dave

Post Thanks / Like

You could always put a tampon in each nostril.... then you could go jogging and swimming and.....
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen many showing those 2091 filters for welding. But I read a few that say "NO" You need 2097?? My understanding is the 2097 is better, so whats the arument to use 2091 then??

Post Thanks / Like

I was going say just hold your breath.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    You could always hold your breath...

Post Thanks / Like

They are the same filter level - both are P100. The 2097 has a little bit of carbon in it to absorb odors and stuff like tiny amounts of ozone that get generated from welding sometimes. That can make your day more pleasant, but either one protects you the same.
    -Dave

Post Thanks / Like

use lask ventilators

two 100 volt plugs on box

fumes are re directed out the bottom, away from welding helmet

articulating arm for positioning

works better than those lousy hf ventilators

250/270/285 CFMs on low/med/high

Name:  articulating arm.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  162.5 KB

Name:  grind table.JPG
Views: 204
Size:  168.5 KB

Name:  welding table.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  166.5 KB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist