Thread: Welder Writer Required - Remote Work

Post Thanks / Like

Welder Writer Required - Remote Work

Hey,

I'm new here to WeldingWeb.

I have recently taken over a popular welding blog called WeldGuru and I am looking for some welders who have writing experience to write regularly for the blog.

Content will be tailored for newer welders who are looking for technical information around the different welding processes.

This won't be for everyone as you will have to have writing experience as well as welding experience. I don't expect you know to everything about all aspects of welding but you should be comfortable with the basics and be able to do your own research.

This is a freelance and remote position so it will be flexible.

If you think you this is something for you, you can check out the full job description and apply here: https://problogger.com/jobs/job/expe...ted-long-term/

If the job listing has been removed by the time you have read this, then you can apply directly using this form as I may need more: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1xep...uGd-NrHlI/edit

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welder Writer Required - Remote Work

This could open a real can of worms if you ask me. There is a lot of mis-information on the internet and it can be hard to know what is accurate and what isn't. A lot of times it's just someone's opinion. Jody from Welding Tips and Tricks is qualified and gives accurate information 99% of the time. Then you get someone like Lance who used to have a huge following making videos but as far as actual experience in the trade, virtually none. Some of his info was good but a lot of it was just him screwing around trying things. Like Mn Dave has on the bottom of his posts below. Bad information is worse than no information.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

3. Likes Oldendum, MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To add to Welder Dave IMHO someone who is accomplished at writing and welding is going to be quite rare . Welders for the most part are welders because they like working with their hands not writing with their hands. I think you would be better off with someone who knows welding and can write good enough that an editor can correct some verbiage and punctuation if needed without changing the content. Then send it back to the welder to be sure it still conveyed his intent.

I will use an example. I was a superintendent for 15 years and part of my job was to write quotes for jobs that entailed technical verbiage and slang. My wife liked to think she could help me with this and from time to time I would have a corrected version of a quote show up where she knew I would find it. Though her version was punctually correct and improved use of english the content was changed to the point where some of them were very comical to read.

The other thing is what you are willing to pay . $60 or less per 1000 words is not much if one is to put any thought into what they are writing. 1000 words is about 4 pages double spaced. For a person who writing on a technical subject that is going to put any thought into his words it will take more than an hr or 2 . You want to pay for his words but not his knowledge that in many cases took him a lifetime. Sorry but you are leaving yourself wide open for a fast talker or in this case a fast writer.

Good luck!
    Last edited by thegary; 02-09-2021 at 06:44 PM.

5. Likes ronsii, MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think someone else made a post very similar to this about a year ago. Not sure how it worked out for them and I have no idea how you would search to find the thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Proof reading is good and so is having someone qualified to verify the info is correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    The other thing is what you are willing to pay . $60 or less per 1000 words is not much if one is to put any thought into what they are writing. 1000 words is about 4 pages double spaced. For a person who writing on a technical subject that is going to put any thought into his words it will take more than an hr or 2 . You want to pay for his words but not his knowledge that in many cases took him a lifetime. Sorry but you are leaving yourself wide open for a fast talker or in this case a fast writer.
    Man you ain't kidding. To write that much, and be technically correct with researched up to date material, will take longer than a couple hours.

Unless he want's someone to just off-the-cuff write the way guys would talk "shop" in a bar. That could be done quickly.

Heck, that knucklehead Lanse could explain a 5 min concept in 25 minutes...and still get 45 minutes of it wrong... (internet math )

As a teacher, this past year or so I've been writing online content for students due to the dreaded covid.
    Talk about a time stealer...hours and hours per week just converting what I would normally explain and show to online-format.
    Normally I would just teach it and demonstrate it with just a rough outline hand written for the day.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

9. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Writing and reading are great.
    I and others here can teach you more in one hour, hands on, then you'll get from reading
    20 pages or watching videos.
    Reading and attempting to apply can be tough, especially for a beginner.
    One on one is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It can be very hard putting what you're used to showing into words. The whipping technique used with 6010 could be an example. Much easier to demonstrate in person.

13. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post