+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone know how to unregister from this site?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know how to unregister from this site?

Now that the old software is back, the site no longer works for me. I'd like to unregister so I can re register using my email address to try to get a profile that actually works.

The 'new' software that was temporarily used worked perfectly with my existing profile and the old software now has the same old problems - not getting notified for the various sections I subscribed to.
    To my knowledge, I own:
    50% of all the plasma cutters,
    33% of all the TIG welders and
    20% of all the MIG welders on the island.

I own 1 of each.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone know how to unregister from this site?

hey Bill,

I can change your email address from the adminCP, or you can register another account and i will merge this one into it, so that you can preserve your join date and post count. It may be that you need to unsubscribe and resubscribe to the forums you are subscribed to, another member found this to be the solution for their similar issue.

I did just send you a test email from the site, please let me know if you received it.

cheers,
    robb

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried canceling subscriptions one day and reacquiring them the next and that solved nothing.

I don't care about merging anything or preserving anything. I'd just like to get notifications working to make the site useful to me.

If you can trick the site to forget my email address and my old ID, then I'll try registering with a brand new ID but my original email address to see if I can then get all the subscriptions working.

I'll ask you to note that when the now discarded new software was active, my current ID magically started sending me notifications for ALL the sections I was subscribed to. That's the only way I even new something on the site had changed. I thought - swell, now things finally work only to return to the original problem. My profile worked correctly as is on the new software. What that may mean to you from a technical standpoint is for you to consider.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confident that resubscribing will resolve your issue now that we've confirmed emails from the site make it to you. I am receiving updates from several forums regularly.

Post Thanks / Like

OK - I'll unsubscribe today, logout and resubscribe tomorrow to see if you're right. I hope you are.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you for making the effort, please do let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

I've repeated this exercise numerous times in the past but did it one more time at your urging.

I unsubscribed from all sections and logged out one day.
    The next day I logged in and subscribed to several sections.
    Today, I got the one notification I always get, from Shop Layout, Equipment And Gear, and none of the others. This has been happening ever since I registered with this site, years ago.

The only time the system actually worked for me is when the new software was temporarily installed and I started getting notifications from ALL the sections I subscribed to.

Now what?
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoatanBill View Post
    I've repeated this exercise numerous times in the past but did it one more time at your urging.

I unsubscribed from all sections and logged out one day.
    The next day I logged in and subscribed to several sections.
    Today, I got the one notification I always get, from Shop Layout, Equipment And Gear, and none of the others. This has been happening ever since I registered with this site, years ago.

The only time the system actually worked for me is when the new software was temporarily installed and I started getting notifications from ALL the sections I subscribed to.

Now what?
    Have you removed all the cookies from your computer that this site places there when you log in and when you post?

Post Thanks / Like

I have not removed cookies although I've considered it. If that worked, it would mask the true cause. I'm a retired professional software developer so I understand how things work.

Cookies are encoded and placed by the logic of the sending site. If the cookies are at fault, the site software created them. If I've run this exercise several times, the site software should have changed whatever it uses to record the setting and if that concerns cookies then those should have been rewritten several times.

When the server side nightly run to distribute email notifications is done, my cookies are not in any way used as my box is shut down. Something at the server end is looking at information at the server end to determine what emails to send out.

I'd like to see some diagnostics done at the server end before I nuke cookies.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

Post Thanks / Like

Nuking only your WW cookies doesn't seem like a terrible idea in any event.

Can you PM me your password? I'd like to check things out 'as you see them'.

Post Thanks / Like

The other thing to consider is that the new software worked perfectly and my cookies were the same for both the old and new software.

I'll PM you my password.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

12. Likes Robb M. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not removed cookies although I've considered it. If that worked, it would mask the true cause. I'm a retired professional software developer so I understand how things work.
    10-4 ..... we never know what skill levels others have, so we sometimes suggest things that have worked for us in the past.

cheers

Post Thanks / Like

It's been several weeks that you've had my password and there's been no progress.

Why not just nuke my ID so I can register as a new user BUT WITH MY EXISTING EMAIL ADDRESS?
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been several weeks that you've had my password and there's been no progress.

Why not just nuke my ID so I can register as a new user BUT WITH MY EXISTING EMAIL ADDRESS?
    Another option is:
    start a new e mail address HERE and rejoin WW under RotanBill2
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Your suggestion has security implications that don't work for me.

I'm a white hat hacker that does penetration testing for corporations so my personal computer security infrastructure is complicated.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

Post Thanks / Like

Your suggestion has security implications that don't work for me.
    I'm sure this entire cobbled together message board has security implications...... for you and everyone else.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

18. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't used your account since the last PM I sent you. I have not yet ascertained what the issue with your account is. I. can delete the email address associated with this Roatan Bill account and you can re-register, then provided things work I can merge them together so that you can retain your username. However I do not think the missing forum update emails are linked to your account, I believe it's a global issue, I'm just not yet smart enough to figure out what the issue is.

cheers,
    robb

Post Thanks / Like

Robb M : Do you have other users with the same or similar issue?

Just from my testing, I know the problem is somewhere on your server side because the newer temporary software worked perfectly on my existing profile. That's why I didn't blow away my cookies.

I don't know how vBulletin is engineered or the mechanism used to send the emails. I suspect, however, that there's a log of messages that should provide some hint as to what's wrong.

The vendor that supplied the app (vBulletin) should have an upgrade path to move the existing MySQL data to a newer version because that's a huge benefit to them to have users upgrade for a fee. That would usually also provide you with their support to troubleshoot such issues.

If I'm not the only user with issues like this, I'll wait for a while but that might indicate that you're beating a dead horse as the saying goes. It's like an old car that's going to nickle and dime you till you upgrade to gain some reliability.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak to anything that happened in the brief time that we were on different software version. I work directly with the company who own vBulletin and have been working with this software for about 20 years now, the issue is on our end, not yours. It's something with the site set up, as I am not receiving update emails from any of the forums other than this one myself. I simply have not had the time to dig into it, I am here at WW on a voluntary basis and Covid related things have eaten up a lot of my time. I will figure this out, but I can't provide you with a timeline.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been 6 months. Nothing has changed. I'm still not getting notifications.
    To my knowledge, I own:

I own 1 of each.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist