+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On Off switch for a rotary phase converter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: On Off switch for a rotary phase converter

That would be great. I try to learn a little something from the various posts here.
    If nothing else, it helps me to ask the right questions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I'll put together a package at cost, or part numbers. I'll admit it is pretty rare for people able to fly under the radar to consent to the cost. Most make do switching a breaker Or Ebay knife switch Or a receptacle & cord, replacing occasionally. The overload protection people sometimes live without.

A bootleg install uses a $40.00 Definite purpose contactor 3 pole, together with a momentary push button station. I'll provide a diagram if you care. This works well, but offers no overload protection.

A major hazard is loss of limbs. A machine tripps a breaker, then restarts when power is restored might rip off an arm, or head. Magnetic contactor forces you to intentionally restart.

latest editions of NEC require GFCI protection if plug connected.
    The 2020 NEC is requiring GFCI protection for about everything, even 240V circuits, which means shop 240V tools, A/C condensing units, but right now at the time of this post, only Massachusetts has adopted the 2020 edition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    That would be great. I try to learn a little something from the various posts here.
    If nothing else, it helps me to ask the right questions.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I received my RPC. I posted pics in my thread. I'm still working on finalizing the whole set-up. Figure about another two weeks before I finally make up my mind and get everything in place. I did how ever decide on using an Eaton 3-pole breaker box (or "Main lug load center" as it is called), and an Eaton 3-pole breaker (obviously) to provide O.C. protection to the welder, and as a means to disconnect power.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I received my RPC. I posted pics in my thread. I'm still working on finalizing the whole set-up. Figure about another two weeks before I finally make up my mind and get everything in place. I did how ever decide on using an Eaton 3-pole breaker box (or "Main lug load center" as it is called), and an Eaton 3-pole breaker (obviously) to provide O.C. protection to the welder, and as a means to disconnect power.
    Thanks. I have been following that thread as well.

Willie B was gracious enough to reach out to me and provide details on what I need to do. Unfortunately, it was more than I can spend right now. I understand the idea and reasons behind doing it right the first time. Once I have a "close to final" place for the tools and have the money to spend, I will pick this back up.

I have fixed the wires sticking out of the double headed extension cord. That hazard is out of the way.
    Last edited by psacustomcreations; 05-12-2020 at 03:13 PM.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

5. Likes TraditionalToolworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    I have fixed the wires sticking out of the double headed extension cord. That hazard is out of the way.
    That's good to hear! Although to give you credit, at least they weren't bare.

Actually I don't think that extension is violating code in anyway, FWIW, but I'm not an electrician. Having it closed up will go a long way to make it safer, otherwise too easy to drop something on the wires, even some weld splatter.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist