Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cake stand

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cake stand

finally got around to finishing it... only a week in advance!

Still needs a rub up with brasso or something to get rid of the pinkish tinge and smooth the surface up ever so slightly.

2. Likes dmcnally, 12V71, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, totally awesome. Just like I said, a piece that can be passed down generation to generation.
    --
    Finished and with plenty of time left to smooth the surface. Way to go Munkul!!! Now git yourself to that alter. ; )
    MM 211
    Smith Tru Lite O/A set, Thanks Bob!
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried putting anything similar to similar cake weight on it yet? Or even just pushing down on the top tier? Might be a good idea to test it out prior to polishing...
    -Dave
    XMT304 with: 22A Feeder, or HF251 Hi Freq DC TIG air cooled

Post Thanks / Like

I was leaning on it with the DA to sand out the scratches, so yes, I'm confident enough of the strength

Funny stuff, copper. I annealed one of the helical spars to get a slight bend straightened out. It was then soft as butter. Flexed it a bit one way and then the other, and most of that annealed state vanished in two bends. In its work hardened state, it's pretty rigid.

Post Thanks / Like

when the caterer sees it, they will want to buy it or you give it to them !!

j

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great!
    Lincoln 350MP
    Millermatic 350P
    Syncrowave 250
    1969 SA200
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

Great work Munkul, that’s one fabulous design.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Munkul is married.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  55.8 KB
    --
    When you get a chance, please share a photo of your cake stand with your wedding cake on it. I'm sure everyone here would love to see it.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --
    But you must not change one thing, one pebble, one grain of sand, until you know what good and evil will follow on that act. The world is in balance, in Equilibrium- Ursula K. Le Guin

10. Likes Lis2323, Dave66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys Had a lovely week off, had a few nights away, and got settled into our home together, already have a honey-do list lol

I unfortunately didn't get many pics of the stand in action! We had a second cake to go on the middle tier, but it needed to be chilled until last minute, so most of the pics people took were of the single cake at the base and flowers in middle.
    No matter, we still plan to have a big reception at the end of the year and have the 3 cakes as planned, will get better pics then. It went down well, everyone seemed to be impressed, but they were all just our close friends mind!

Name:  2020-07-09 18.43.46.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  100.5 KB

This is a BBQ that was fabricated where I work for one of my colleague's parents, I borrowed it, it was an absolute weapon, cooking stuff through with the grille raised all the way up!

Name:  2020-07-09 20.16.36.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  92.8 KB

12. Likes Equilibrium liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations, best wishes. I think that cake stand will look even better with more cake on it, but weddings, funerals, and graduations are a little different for now.
    Now you have to keep it nice until the big party. Is it coated or bare copper ?

I like the grill, its great that you could borrow it (don't have to worry about where to store it). The big handwheel and ash doors/vent handles make it look professional.
    Its nice to cook over charcoal, but most of the time I use the gas grill. Just a convenience thing.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

14. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

nice work,and great looking bbq

16. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Even better than I envisioned Munkul. All nice and shiny for the big day. It looks just as beautiful with one tier of your cake and the flowers as it will with all three tiers of cake.
    --
    Since I'm a female, I have to tell you I see overkill wedding dresses that "wear" the bride as opposed to the bride wearing the wedding dress so I really love the simple lace bodice of her dress with only a few shimmers combined with the lower tulle. Exceptionally tasteful in my humble opinion.
    --
    Best wishes to the two of you throughout your life together.
    MM 211
    Lincoln AC-225
    --

18. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I was leaning on it with the DA to sand out the scratches, so yes, I'm confident enough of the strength

Funny stuff, copper. I annealed one of the helical spars to get a slight bend straightened out. It was then soft as butter. Flexed it a bit one way and then the other, and most of that annealed state vanished in two bends. In its work hardened state, it's pretty rigid.
    My limited experience with hard working stainless, mirrors your experience with copper.

Work hardening is fascinating stuff. It's totally new to me. Never worked with anything subject to work hardening until I had to bend stainless tubing.

What I wonder............is work hardening as strong as heat treating. I'm thinking it isn't.....something makes me feel that it's on the brittle side, with no real proof.

THRILLED THAT Y'ALL HAD A NICE WEDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! You're tying the knot in difficult times.......sometimes that makes the bond stronger.

I seriously hope y'all didn't do any grilled chicken on the DAY. Name:  mutley.gif
Views: 152
Size:  9.3 KB

20. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm assuming those ain't bangers on the grill.........somethin' more like brats or equivalent supper fare. But, I am not sure what you guys eat on a regular basis, or based on time of day. Looks good either way............long as the dood/doodette cooked 'em right.

22. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again, guys

Equilibrium - obviously I wasn't allowed to see my wife's dress before the wedding, but when I did see her walk towards me - I was not disappointed Very "princessey" but not over the top... it was "her" through and through, I'm a lucky lucky man.

Sam - those sausage loops on the grille - it's Cumberland sausage, it's a speciality in my county, it has a texture and spice unlike any other type of sausage, and we kinda like it had a close family friend run the BBQ and he di very, very well, I got him and his wife a thankyou gift afterwards because they did so well for us all.

Given that we had to do it all ourselves, since no caterers would do anything in current circumstances... the barn was well decorated, loads of people helped out, and it makes me thankful I have such good friends and family.

Just had the closest 30 people to us, really, and TBH I was glad of it, nicer than a huge wedding with hundreds

24. Likes Equilibrium liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to you and your bride, Munkul!
    :