Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stainless sink as fuel tank ?

OK.... what is problem with modifying sink to fit under hood of 9n

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by midwaleswelder View Post
    Most of the detractors of this idea aren't capable of doing it so they'd rather hire the fabbing done.... with the way current fuels are formulated to be 'green' ie... no shelf life whatsoever... a stainless fuel tank is a great idea

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by midwaleswelder View Post
    I am offended at your suggestion I can't convert a sink to a gas tank. I believe i am better qualified than many of the members here.

I respond with the question: Why do you have a 9N?

If you happen to have a $900. tractor, and want to keep it alive another year to plow the garden, there are cheaper ways to do that.

If you bought a 9N for its history, putting a kitchen sink on top of the hood changes its historic value to parts only.

I like the 9N for the history. Its contribution as a functional tractor says find a better tractor instead of spending 50 hours working out the challenges of a makeshift tank. The historical value is lost with a sink mounted either sidesaddle or on top of the hood.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

It is my belief that a stainless fuel tank is the best option as corrosion caused by condensation will not be problem and it will fit under hood
    As I said the tank will be smaller
    I have never seen a 9n on road run so it will be different
    the original tank will be kept

Post Thanks / Like

With shipping as the prohibitive component, I'll build you a one off stainless tank that'll fit where your old tank did. You will have to cut away the underside of the existing tank to make room.

Rectangular tanks are simple to build. To fit a rectangular tank under a teardrop tank, it has to be smaller. 9N tractors were built to work all day. No 9N has been used all day since 1960. A 2 gallon tank is plenty big for any 9N.

I'll point out that some 9N tractors left the factory with aluminum tanks.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy fuel tank liner or a brand new tank.

https://antique-tractor-parts.steine...rd-9n-Gas-Tank

Post Thanks / Like

i am tempted to consider new steel
    Tank but corrosion from condensation
    Will be problem

Post Thanks / Like

What about a liner for it?

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel stabilizer in the marine formula will solve the corrosion problem. Your tractor survived 75 years before they introduced ethanol to gasoline. Ethanol does awful things to your entire fuel system. Fuel stabilizer can control that.

On that note I believe 9N was built without valve seats. Valves seated on cast iron. Some engines went off to a machine shop where they were cut to accept hardened steel valve seats. Lead free gasoline will eventually cause the original valve seats to get pounded out. Again, this would be if you ran the tractor all day, every day. I KNOW you don't. There are lead substitutes, and they may be included in StaBil varieties.