+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wiring up a 30HP rotary phase converter

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    LOL!!!! sounds like you're afraid of the code nazi's on here..

Glad to hear it's working good!!! I always shied away from a big RPC just because of the inrush draw as we are on a shared transformer with not the best starting voltage to begin with... but sounds like I probably worried too much and ought to just do it as I have a 20hp on my big 30 inch lathe and you have to run a genny to use it right now...
    Not afraid, just don't want to clutter the thread.

I've come to see that different vendors/manufacturers use dfferent amount of start caps, and I think this makes a big difference. Ive seen some 30HP kits with as little as 4-6 caps, where mine has 10. You can also have them built with soft-start circuits snd that greatly increases the size one can run when limited on input power. This one uses up 72 FLA's, so if you don't factor in any kind of in-rush, there's likely a lot more one can run on say a 100A breaker.

I'll post up a pic of the outside, but not my messy wiring as I have come to despise it after having to wrestle with 2/0 thhn. What a pain!
    Last edited by Oscar; 03-03-2021 at 11:36 PM.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

2. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Not afraid, just don't want to clutter the thread.

I've come to see that different vendors/manufacturers use dfferent amount of start caps, and I think this makes a big difference. Ive seen some 30HP kits with as little as 4-6 caps, where mine has 10. You can also have them built with soft-start circuits snd that greatly increases the size one can run when limited on input power. This one uses up 72 FLA's, so if you don't factor in any kind of in-rush, there's likely a lot more one can run on say a 100A breaker.

I'll post up a pic of the outside, but not my messy wiring as I have come to despise it after having to wrestle with 2/0 thhn. What a pain!
    LOL!!! yeah I get it just yanking your chain a bit

I have 2 - 200 amp feeds to the main service panels then a second 200 amp panel right next to them fed from just one of the main 200's... but I also have a 50 amp cross connect(for emergencies and equalizing ) I can cut in when needed and from the third 200 amp panel I run a 30 space sub panel which I think is also a 200 amp panel??? but may be a 150... from there I have 180 feet of 4/O 4/O 2/O to the casting shop but that is fed on a 125 amp breaker.. after that I run about 140 feet of 8ga. on a 50 amp breaker to the sawmill shed.. mainly just for lights/etc...

4. Likes Oscar liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickstulkes View Post
    Better call a professional [SPAM LINK REMOVED] just to be safe. It's good to DIY but better safe than sorry.
    Do they also sell any SPAM, I'm quite hungry at the moment.
    Last edited by Tensaiteki; 03-16-2021 at 11:11 AM. Reason: removed quoted spam link

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Do they also sell any SPAM, I'm quite hungry at the moment.
    Please do not quote spammers. It just makes more work for us mods when we have to not only delete the offending message but also edit your posts to get rid of the same spam links.

Further, these spammers are usually just bots, not real people; they will neither read nor care about pithy replies regarding canned meat-like products. Just report them, ignore them, and move on.

Post Thanks / Like

my bad! Thanks for the help.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist