Thread: Gate build help

Post Thanks / Like

Gate build help

Hi all. I am needing to rebuild my double driveway gate, and I am tired of doing it out of wood.

My question is about the thinkness of steel needed for the box frame.

The gates will be roughly 6 feet tall by 6 feet wide each. I was thinking that I could use 1.5” x 2” tube, but I am conflicted on wall thickness to use. Should I go with .083 or .120?

I am attaching the gates to a 6x6 wooden post, so that’s another dilemma that I will have to contend with.

Also I want to fill in the box frame with wood boards, so that will add a bit of weight, hence the dilemma about wall thickness of the steel.

Any help will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gate build help

.083 would be sufficient. Are you putting wood on the frame? Or are you building a steel gate?

If the post have held up with wood, then the will hold up with a similar steel design. Depending on design, the steel will likely be lighter than the wood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    .083 would be sufficient. Are you putting wood on the frame? Or are you building a steel gate?

If the post have held up with wood, then the will hold up with a similar steel design. Depending on design, the steel will likely be lighter than the wood.
    Thanks for the reply. I am going to inset the wood into the box frame and sammich it between two pieces of 3/4 angle iron. The outside angle will be welded to the face of the frame, and the inside will be screwed in. In case a board needs to be replaced.

Post Thanks / Like

Use 2" sq. x 14 ga. square tube. It's light but very strong and square tube tends to be much cheaper than rectangular tube.

5. Likes davidpuddy, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Use 2" sq. x 14 ga. square tube. It's light but very strong and square tube tends to be much cheaper than rectangular tube.
    Thanks for that tip, Bob. I’ll look at that instead.

Post Thanks / Like

I second the 2" square 14g choice. Here in southern california (no freezing) I'd even go down to 16g depending on the situation.

2x2 square tube can be bought in small quantities cheaply through facebook marketplace, offerup, craigslist, etc. in this area from fence/gate companies - YMMV though. 2" square is VERY common and usually a little cheaper (per pound).

The battle with gates is usually the support posts/hinges - especially if you live in an area where it gets below freezing. feel free to ask any questions you may have and best of luck

8. Likes davidpuddy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

davidpuddy

I have read the thread -

'you are done with with wood' -
    'steel box frame . . . how thick' -
    'attach to wood posts' [dilemma/how] -
    'fill in the box frame with wood' . . .
    'a bit of weight' . . .

Put down the Ouija Board
    . . .

These issues you know about - consider, 'spinning the telescope' - and starting 'with the Last Part First'.

The LPF is two fold - how well the gates work - and the caliber/aesthetics of construction [both inside and out].
    Design: the look first, engineer the frame [via standard tube] to carry the look - eg. recess and shoulder . . .

Fast Forward - the paramount failure with gates are anchor point - both wall and post . . . falling over . . .
    If you have indefatigable anchors - you can massacre the 'look & weight' - because, it will work for infinitum . . .

Your project is rife with unanswered 'details' - start here . . .
    https://www.google.com/search?safe=a...4dUDCAw&uact=5

'Spinning the Telescope' - and finding Last Part First - insures success . . .

hth

Opus

ps - P.W. ^ ^ ^

10. Likes davidpuddy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the gates I build will have a heavier piece of tubing on the hinge side. Light tubing for the other end, top & bottom. No reason that all 4 side have to be the same thickness, hinge side needs a little more beef.

12. Likes thegary, davidpuddy, oldfartrr, bigcreek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwby View Post
    A lot of the gates I build will have a heavier piece of tubing on the hinge side. Light tubing for the other end, top & bottom. No reason that all 4 side have to be the same thickness, hinge side needs a little more beef.
    I used to do that as well but gave it up as I decided it wasn't necessary. I use those rectangular hinges and the width lets the weld go all the way to the edges changing the tension to the front and back of the gate and not the end. It has worked well even on quite large gates.

14. Likes davidpuddy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to do that as well but gave it up as I decided it wasn't necessary. I use those rectangular hinges and the width lets the weld go all the way to the edges changing the tension to the front and back of the gate and not the end. It has worked well even on quite large gates.
    Bob, so instead of bullet hinges I should use regular rectangular weld on hinges?

Post Thanks / Like

One more question...where I attach the steel hinge post to my wood post, should I drill through and do like all thread, or just a long lag screw?

Post Thanks / Like

If an opener may be added to these gates, then I would suggest 1/8" wall min/doubler plate at the point of attachment and strong hinges And careful proper adjustment of the actuator.

18. Likes davidpuddy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the delay. Here is the finished product.

Just a little touch up paint left. Thanks for all the help.

20. Likes Flyer58, Capt B, DavidR8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davidpuddy View Post
    Sorry for the delay. Here is the finished product.

Just a little touch up paint left. Thanks for all the help.

22. Likes davidpuddy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

looks good. What did you learn?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    looks good. What did you learn?
    Learned to always check the steel supplier for deals. I got the steel for the gate at a discount. I had to clean it up as it was pretty rusty, but worth it in the end.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. Thanks for posting up the finished product.

26. Likes davidpuddy, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great! I was going to suggest that you get pre-primed steel, but never mind..... (-;
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

28. Likes davidpuddy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruark View Post
    Looks great! I was going to suggest that you get pre-primed steel, but never mind..... (-;
    It was pre rusted....lol

Post Thanks / Like

That turned out nice.

You'll find that the gate is stronger than the gateposts. All the leverage is on the posts.

I do different types of gates, but it's same same.

Name:  gates 3.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  140.4 KB 14ga 2x2 with cow panel filler/web. I can stand on the end of the gate, and it doesn't do much. Bends a bit, but springs back. I haven't approached the yield weight/force. 150lbs at 16ft........that's some leverage, and torque. Now, if'n yer a 250lb sack o' fat, yer mileage might vary

We have a bunch of climb proof gates coming up this Winter. Same overall design, a considerable bit heavier, but with vertical bars only. They should be even stronger. If you have a gate out of sight from the house, you make damn sure it can't be climbed easily. Azzhole hunters like to go on other people's places, and they like to climb gates.

31. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidpuddy View Post
    Bob, so instead of bullet hinges I should use regular rectangular weld on hinges?

Not a fan of bullet hinges. I tried to find a picture of the hinge welded in but not very close. I almost always just use 14 ga.x2" square and have never had any problems at all even on fairly heavy gates. And by the way, your gate came out great, really looks good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Not a fan of bullet hinges. I tried to find a picture of the hinge welded in but not very close. I almost always just use 14 ga.x2" square and have never had any problems at all even on fairly heavy gates. And by the way, your gate came out great, really looks good.
    Thanks Bob, I got the steel really cheap, but if I had to pay full price I would definitely go thinner. The tube I used was 1/8”. After I welded the hinges to the post the gate deflected less than 1/16” of an inch, so all is well that ends well.

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the best hinges I ever used were made by cutting big roller chain( #160 or #240) between the links and welding the two half sections to the gate and post.