+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Countersink recommendation?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Countersink recommendation?

A good titanium nitride coating is absolutely NOT a gimmick, it will improve tool life several times over.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

A good tool with a quality titanium nitride coating is absolutely NOT a gimmick, it will increase tool life several times over.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

Post Thanks / Like

I use a MA Ford HSS Chatterless 6 Flute Countersink ALtimaŽ Blaze Coated and its the best countersink I have ever used. I have and used HSS, carbide, Ticn coated, 0-6 flute and the 6 is by far the best. More flutes equals less chip load than a single flute which helps when countersinking flat heads. For just deburring a hole a single flute works decent so it doesn't dig in.

Post Thanks / Like

@ferret I didn't see your post before I bought something or else I would have checked on that one.

I called Fastenal and checked on a couple Keo countersinks but they'd have to order them in. Then I checked with MSC and they had one: 82 degree, 3 flute, cobalt so I drove over there and got it. I don't have any knowledge base to compare it to but it seems fine to me. They didn't list a 6 flute with a 5/8" body.

Vibrates at all speeds, not smooth like a drill bit but perhaps that's normal. Probably a 6 flute would vibrate a little less. The zero flute one with the big hole in it might run smooth but the Keo engineer said it was for deburring.

The little needle like shards my countersink creates are nasty. Some are almost microscopic and seems like their mission in life is to dig into your skin. Even with vacuuming, some escape and nail you and you have to put a magnifying hood on to remove them. I may put a magnet in a plastic bag and see if that works better.

The one I got has a 5/8" body which I thought would be fine for countersinking 5/16" flat head machine screws but no. So I have to go to 1/4" machine screws to hold my table top on. The countersink was $20 with tax and I don't want to go back to buy a bigger one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
    The engineer from Keo that answered my email said that chatter usually means the RPM's are too high. I don't know myself, not real experienced with countersinks.

Fastenal has a location here and they're showing a number of different 82 degree cobalt Keo countersinks on their site. I may call them Monday and see what's in stock, then run over there.
    I ran it at 90 rpm. :/
    www.FirehouseFabricators.com

Zach

Millermatic 255
    Lincoln SW200
    Hypertherm Powermax 45xp
    2x4 CNC Plasma Table.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist