+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

To the OP, really great work figuring that out and sticking with it. I find what you have achieved inspiring.

2. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I also really want to ask the iron butthole what it feels like having a nautilus reinforcing his spine after a virtual rectal implantation.

4. Likes ronsii, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mitering the beam may have a better appearance to many. With art sculptures, everyone has different views and sees it differently. You paint something white and they want black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes tapwelder, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The nautilus looks fantastic!!!

The welding no so fan....I agree with adding additional welding...those welds look a bit bird-poopy and cold. Takes away from the beauty of the nautilus and might not be so strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    The connection point is fine provide IF the weld is sound . The weld/machine is suspect. I would agree with finding somebody to weld it. Or get a larger welder. Is the ring welded providing support?
    The ring is purely decorative. Once the beam was welded, I let off the hoist, the cuts all relaxed a hair, then it just sat there.

I moneyed around with it and some of the cuts started to bend - but zero flex at the weld.

I like the ring and the decision to leave the end of the I-beam square. To me it looks more delicate and reinforces the "balancing" aspect of the piece. Where the beam meets the plate, the entire piece's balance point is right at that spot.
    Last edited by Shootr; 06-07-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hddnis View Post
    I also really want to ask the iron butthole what it feels like having a nautilus reinforcing his spine after a virtual rectal implantation.
    I probably need to drink some more to figure this one out

10. Likes ronsii, Capt B, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work on the piece.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

12. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    I probably need to drink some more to figure this one out
    Iron Butthole told you your material was trash, called you a fool and a troll, etc. His shtick is condescending on anyone who does anything differently than he would do it. The ferrony (irony--haha! I crack myself up) is that he never does anything, so my theory is he really can't weld or work with metal at all.

14. Likes 12V71, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hddnis View Post
    Iron Butthole told you your material was trash, called you a fool and a troll, etc. His shtick is condescending on anyone who does anything differently than he would do it. The ferrony (irony--haha! I crack myself up) is that he never does anything, so my theory is he really can't weld or work with metal at all.
    I had a feeling that's what it was about - I hit the "Ignore" button as soon as I read it and some of his other posts. Every forum has at least one.

16. Likes hddnis, shortfuse liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to add reinforcing weld to your bends or it could become a disaster. Heavy wind or people look at it and can't keep their hands off it, etc. The welds on the base are not good. Just leaving the beam straight looks unfinished to me. Look at the base on the one you copied. Much more thought in it. You have a great project but it seems only 75% done in my opinion. Was the idea to get it done as fast as possible or make it look as cool as possible?

18. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

WTF !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    The ring is purely decorative. Once the beam was welded, I let off the hoist, the cuts all relaxed a hair, then it just sat there.

I moneyed around with it and some of the cuts started to bend - but zero flex at the weld.

I like the ring and the decision to leave the end of the I-beam square. To me it looks more delicate and reinforces the "balancing" aspect of the piece. Where the beam meets the plate, the entire piece's balance point is right at that spot.
    Years ago I read in my. lincoln welding handbook the briefly discuss joint design/failure. That was a sound weld failure. One failure described was a hinge similar to your design. you built in some relief since the structures flexed.

You essentially have no weld supporting it. Remove all the flux to visually see the lack of fusion. Cut a sample weld it and break it...test it. Spend some time testing a some weld joints

The HF 125 is a no-go.

Apparently, Opus stated what many folk admittedly thought. I suspect he would question your weld in a not so amicable, yet true tone.

I did not doubt, the only thing left to finish is a safe weld.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    You might want to add reinforcing weld to your bends or it could become a disaster. Heavy wind or people look at it and can't keep their hands off it, etc. The welds on the base are not good. Just leaving the beam straight looks unfinished to me. Look at the base on the one you copied. Much more thought in it. You have a great project but it seems only 75% done in my opinion. Was the idea to get it done as fast as possible or make it look as cool as possible?
    I wasn't in a hurry by any means, and as I mentioned in the opening post I knew this would only be a version of the pictured example.

My skill level and quality of welder/tools was at best going to allow me to get this far. I know the welds look like ****e but I could really see the puddle well. It sure looked like the pre-heated plate was getting penetrated as well as the beam.

Each weld was done with a slightly different attempt. The short flat one was mostly dragging straight with a little bit of weaving. The short fat one was much slower travel, I'd linger on the plate a bit, then up to the flange, etc. The long one on the underside of the beam was three tacks, then dragging in between.

I promise to keep practicing my welding, and as I mentioned before as well, I wouldn't think of putting anything in public that wasnt absolutely bullet proof - my yard is safe for this kind of stuff.

22. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I read in my. lincoln welding handbook a brief discussion on joint design/failure. One failure described was a hinge similar to your design. It repeatedly failed due to vibration and interference from another structure. That was a sound weld. You built in some relief since the structures flexed, yet do not have a sound weld and vibration is ever present.

24. Likes Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I read in my. lincoln welding handbook a brief discussion on joint design/failure. One failure described was a hinge similar to your design. It repeatedly failed due to vibration and interference from another structure. That was a sound weld. You built in some relief since the structures flexed, yet do not have a sound weld and vibration is ever present.
    Thanks for the follow up. I hear what you're saying about the flex being a saving grace in this instance, am I correct that no matter what, the type of connection I made just shouldn't be done without some sort of gusset or support or third member of some kind? (And a capable welder voltage/amperage wise)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    WTF !

Name:  ea5bbdc4f608abd4232b65f3c74635b7.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  66.2 KB

27. Likes ronsii liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The welds or attempted welds don't lie. Have someone more experienced redo them. Doesn't matter what you think you saw, they are examples of what welds shouldn't look like.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great, especially right there in the yard like that.

As for the welds.... get yourself an old stick welder for cheap on the FB Marketplace, grind out those beads you have there, and lay in some 7018. Multiple passes just to make sure things are good.

Your welds might hold right now, but as that curl catches the wind and you get load applied, it'll be anyone's guess when the beads pop because they aren't sunk deep into the steel. Even with your little welder, you're far better off grinding out the beads you've laid and going over them again to get better fusion. You've likely got a good bond in spots, but there are too many gaps. Water will collect, rust will form, and your bond will only get weaker with time. Add in the wind and the freeze/thaw movement as it warms and cools overnight.... well, better safe than sorry.

Overall, though, very impressive. You didn't have a million-dollar shop filled with amazing tools, but you conquered nonetheless. That's something to be proud of and I'm sure I'll be using this thread as an example of what can be done if you put your mind to it.

30. Likes Shootr, Capt B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Give your weld a 'stress test' put a lever on there and try to put some bend on it... if they hold then it's good enough for yard art if not then you'll get more practice welding

I see welds like that all the time on DOT inspected trailers... not saying it's a good thing at 70mph but hey... they passed it you really do need a bigger welder

Name:  bumperweld trailer1.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  130.7 KB
    Name:  bumperweld trailer2.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  63.5 KB

32. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you know how many hours I have spent cutting and mostly grinding garbage like that out doing trailer rebuilds. Sheesh...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Do you know how many hours I have spent cutting and mostly grinding garbage like that out doing trailer rebuilds. Sheesh...
    Oh... I can imagine.... I probably see similar on about 1 of 10 trailers I look at...

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe add Bondo it look great. No will know it will pass inspection

It would do great in earthquake. More work after earthquake.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ronsii View Post
    Give your weld a 'stress test' put a lever on there and try to put some bend on it... if they hold then it's good enough for yard art if not then you'll get more practice welding

I see welds like that all the time on DOT inspected trailers... not saying it's a good thing at 70mph but hey... they passed it you really do need a bigger welder

Name:  bumperweld trailer1.JPG
Views: 404
Size:  130.7 KB
    Name:  bumperweld trailer2.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  63.5 KB

36. Dislikes ronsii, 12V71 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shootr

'Just the facts ma'am' . . .

Most choose 'a Cherry on Top' to anoint their master work - since the
    base was your final operation - you properly chose 'Scrotal Gangrene'
    for dedication . . .

Kudos ^ ^ ^ for gutting thru your project - everyone has a beginning -

Wrought Iron is hammer forged Hot Stock with cause [ornamental iron
    is fake Wrought Iron] your piece is yard-art, because it lacks foundation
    of your original inspiration.

The graduations of a Chambered Nautilus, is not - Fibonacci, the Golden
    Ratio - or other guesses . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logarithmic_spiral

Another - natural foundational reference is Circinate Vernation . . .

https://www.google.com/search?q=circ...w=1195&bih=974

Your dedication to your new hobby is without question - reward yourself
    with research
    - and your product will rise . . .

hth

Opus

ps - can I include the top photo in my 2021 WW Calendar . . .

38. Likes MickOz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    WTF !

But it's art!

I would echo Vaughn 's suggestions. If you are in the American market, old 225 AC buzz boxes sell used for less than $100 and would fix that up in a heart beat. If you really want to step up to the plate look for an old Lincoln tombstone AC/DC ( should be able to find a decent one under $300... which still irritates me... but it's overkill for what you are doing). What I would suggest differently for a first timer is that you use 7014 or 6013 rods... much easier to work with for a piece that isn't structurally critical and it would hold that just fine. I've been using them for years to repair farm equipment. Overall, the piece is looking good.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

40. Likes Shootr, ronsii, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OPUS FERRO View Post

I find your writing/comment style tedious and unnecessarily crass in most instances, hence the reason I hit the "Ignore" button on you.

I realize you are trying to help and will not fault you for that. I join forums to learn, to share, to enjoy - and posts that give me headaches from trying to decipher wandering thoughts, "un-followable" punctuation, and needless font changes are not my cup of tea.

No idea what picture you are referring to re: calendar.

42. Likes ronsii liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist