Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 126 to 138 of 138

Thread: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

  1. #126
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    I remember you posting this a while back - it came out so awesome! Do you happen to have any closer pics of the tail, body, and head? The missus saw it and went nuts - I have to try and build her one.
    I'll make some tomorrow (its close to midnight now over here), but it has been sitting on the front lawn for quite some time now and has a good amount of rust on it.
    I love the patina, but not everybody does.
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

  2. Likes Shootr liked this post
  3. #127
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    260
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    I remember you posting this a while back - it came out so awesome! Do you happen to have any closer pics of the tail, body, and head? The missus saw it and went nuts - I have to try and build her one.
    As requested. Some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Fronius Transpocket 180
    Kemppi minarc 150
    Esab powercut 400

  4. Likes Shootr, Guardian liked this post
  5. #128
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

    I like rust - that patina'd very nicely in my opinion. Thank you for posting the extra pictures, my questions are now answered lol!
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

  6. #129
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

    The nautilus buyer sent me pics of his installation:

    Name:  nautilus lit up.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  157.0 KB

    I'm like a proud papa lol!
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

  7. Likes psacustomcreations, LtBadd, VaughnT liked this post
  8. #130
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Posts
    2,788
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    The nautilus buyer sent me pics of his installation:

    Name:  nautilus lit up.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  157.0 KB

    I'm like a proud papa lol!
    These are great pics.

    It reiterates my advice on your pricing

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

  9. Likes Shootr, VaughnT liked this post
  10. #131
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

    Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    These are great pics.

    It reiterates my advice on your pricing

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I can't deny, the pics make me conflicted on pricing. It looks epic, but I had it listed for 8 months or so and he was the first person to even contact me about it.

    My fit and finish still need a great deal of work/practice. I did look for a paint pen but of course, the black was sold out at 3 places around here - so like you, my shaky hands did their best.

    I know good tools can only do so much, but a new ESAB helmet with 2.0 cheater and a headlight will hopefully make things easier to see and my skills will improve.

    This weekend will be just practice - I need to dial in both mig and stick and make some quality improvements.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

  11. #132
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Near Roanoke, VA
    Posts
    318
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

    Hey, Shootr,, I might have missed it,, what did you use for the pivot in the windmill??



  12. Likes Shootr liked this post
  13. #133
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    Hey, Shootr,, I might have missed it,, what did you use for the pivot in the windmill??


    It's a return roll from a conveyor system. Turned vertical, drilled the holes, and welded to the post. Where I work we supply these to the mines and rock yards.

    Name:  conveyor-roller1.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  22.5 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

  14. #134
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    I can't deny, the pics make me conflicted on pricing. It looks epic, but I had it listed for 8 months or so and he was the first person to even contact me about it.
    Doesn't matter how long it takes, honestly. It's not like it's a consumable that'll be ruined if it sits outside for a couple years.

    A lot of the work, sadly, is in developing your contacts and learning where it's good to advertise. If you just put it in the local paper, expect to get no hits.

    Pricing it cheap might get you a quick sale, but it also helps create the bad habit of under-valuing your work. You might think you're just tinkering and having fun, but that doesn't mean you need to go broke doing it. If that's your goal.... take up golfing or boating.

    Of course, on the flip side of that argument --- the more time you spend advertising and trying to get your name known, the more you have to charge if you want to recoup all those little expenses like driving to fairs. In the end, it could be said that you break even since you didn't spend a grand traveling and entering shows.

    it's a tough balance, that's for sure. Slow and steady wins the race, and you can bet this fella's instagram pictures will get you a lot more attention in the future. I would recommend that you buy some nice metal tags that you can rivet onto your work, marking them as yours so the legions of fans soon to be flocking to your door will have some provenance.
    Last edited by VaughnT; 05-21-2021 at 02:37 AM.

  15. #135
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    .I would recommend that you buy some nice metal tags that you can rivet onto your work, marking them as yours so the legions of fans soon to be flocking to your door will have some provenance.
    NOW you tell me!

    Besides Facebook marketplace, Offerup, and Craigslist I can't really think of another way to promote my stuff commercially. I'm nowhere near at a level to participate in a "real" art fair, low inventory and quality of product. If there are ever swap meet type festivals or something around here again, I'd dip my toe into that pool, if nothing else to get a feel for how it all works. (Hopefully this fall there might be some again - summer isn't the festival season around here).

    When it's all said and done, I look at it like this: I paid for my welder and 1/3rd of my carport. Like you said, I could buy stupid-expensive golf clubs and play the same as with my current 30yr old set on too-expensive courses. But welding and creating - all my projects I'd classify as practice, therapy, or fun. If nothing else, it was satisfying to be told this is impossible, but pulling it off in the end.

    And a second one would be MUCH, MUCH easier, now that most of the learning is done! Plus I have great promotional pics now.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

  16. Likes VaughnT liked this post
  17. #136
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    NOW you tell me!

    Besides Facebook marketplace, Offerup, and Craigslist I can't really think of another way to promote my stuff commercially. I'm nowhere near at a level to participate in a "real" art fair, low inventory and quality of product. If there are ever swap meet type festivals or something around here again, I'd dip my toe into that pool, if nothing else to get a feel for how it all works. (Hopefully this fall there might be some again - summer isn't the festival season around here).

    When it's all said and done, I look at it like this: I paid for my welder and 1/3rd of my carport. Like you said, I could buy stupid-expensive golf clubs and play the same as with my current 30yr old set on too-expensive courses. But welding and creating - all my projects I'd classify as practice, therapy, or fun. If nothing else, it was satisfying to be told this is impossible, but pulling it off in the end.

    And a second one would be MUCH, MUCH easier, now that most of the learning is done! Plus I have great promotional pics now.

    If you put a nice brass or aluminum tag on it, some ****bag scrapper will work all day to get that tag off and get his fifty cents.

  18. #137
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,523
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

    Quote Originally Posted by Shootr View Post
    ... Facebook marketplace, Offerup, and Craigslist I can't really think of another way to promote my stuff commercially. ...low inventory and quality of product. If there are ever swap meet type festivals or something... When it's all said and done, I look at it like this: I paid for my welder and 1/3rd of my carport. ... welding and creating - all my projects I'd classify as practice, therapy, or fun. And a second one would be MUCH, MUCH easier, now that most of the learning is done! Plus I have great promotional pics now.
    Keep your eyes open for marketing opportunities. Even if it's just a landscaper's conference, it can be good to get your pieces out there where customers could potentially see it.

    Do you have your own website yet? You should. Even if you're not selling the product, it gives you a portfolio that possible customers can look at. The pictures you've posted all along this thread would be great material for it and really give customers a sense of what's invested in making the thing they're interested in. And, if you're giving people business cards like you should, it's really important for them to have easy access to pictures of your awesomeness. Makes you look like a trustworthy source because they can see you're invested in doing this stuff.

    And you're right to think about the pricing in that way. That's one of the things that makes pricing so very difficult especially when you're first starting out and trying to acquire gear. It's a slow process to build up.

    Now hurry up and make the next great thing!

  19. Likes Shootr liked this post
  20. #138
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    665
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nautilus out of an I-Beam - Questions on Bending

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    Keep your eyes open for marketing opportunities. Even if it's just a landscaper's conference, it can be good to get your pieces out there where customers could potentially see it.

    Do you have your own website yet? You should. Even if you're not selling the product, it gives you a portfolio that possible customers can look at. The pictures you've posted all along this thread would be great material for it and really give customers a sense of what's invested in making the thing they're interested in. And, if you're giving people business cards like you should, it's really important for them to have easy access to pictures of your awesomeness. Makes you look like a trustworthy source because they can see you're invested in doing this stuff.

    And you're right to think about the pricing in that way. That's one of the things that makes pricing so very difficult especially when you're first starting out and trying to acquire gear. It's a slow process to build up.

    Now hurry up and make the next great thing!
    Keep an eye on the totem pole thread. Now that vacation is over and I got some practice in, I'm starting on the second piece of it tomorrow.

    I have a web domain, I just need to pony up for hosting so it's live. Business cards are a great idea as well - so much I haven't even thought of.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,627,940,279.22067 seconds with 13 queries